Author Topic: Third Year 1v1 bracket- Round 1: Aurelia Lumen vs. Airi Okairos  (Read 9307 times)

Skylia

• Been Around

• Personal Text
    O kawaii koto
    • View Profile
”Alright kiddos, welcome back to the tournament! Like always, we only have beacon students participating. Uh….” Sounds of rustling papers get picked up by the arena as Hunter tries to find out who’s actually participating. ”Um… Right! So we have the third year bracket with the first match between…” Sounds of more paper rustling gets picked up. Suddenly, Hunter lets out a small sound of victory, ”Okay! We have Airi Okairos who has a really bad resting bitch face. As for the opponent, we have Aurelia Lumen.” Awkward pause. ”I have nothing to say, I got no material on either of them.” Hunter seems to be a little salty about his inability to make memes from the two combatants.

”Uh yes, I’m sorry about that. It would seem that my partner completely fails at announcing if there’s nothing visibly funny about the combatant. So anyways, you’d better hope you’re not on the defense against Airi, because her use of afterimages can really mess with your head! On the other hand...the Faunus has a surprisingly effective mount which is weird, but definitely be aware of charge attacks!”. Searching through her script so she’s better prepared for the next match, Prim would quickly motion to start the spinner.

A large holographic image of a lottery machine appears on all sides of the arena, with two spinners. The spinners spun so quickly, making it nearly impossible to make out the passing words. It ticked through the options slower and slower until it finally stopped on Forest and Ice Dust Field.

On Airi’s side, several trees similar to the ones found in the Emerald Forest emerged. Nothing too special, really. On Aurelia’s side, what initially appears to be a snowy field contains ice dust crystals under the thin layer of snow that can freeze you in place if you don’t watch where you step.

As the spinner finished its job and faded away, the doors on each side of the arena opened to signify the start of the match.

(A coin flip has decided that Aurelia will get the first post. The arena size is identical to that of the 1v1 arena in the show, however, it features scaled down biomes to fit the size. Good luck, and may the best combatant win.)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 08:48:56 AM by Skylia »
Lucina Archaletta - The Haughty Hipster - 1st Year Beacon Student on Team ALIA

Vanilla Stella-Maris - The Indomitable Idol - Special Operations Combat Idol  - WiP

Primrose Palatine - The Dexterous Duelist - Atlesian Professor of Combat Flow - WiP

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
Re: Third Year 1v1 bracket- Round 1: Aurelia Lumen vs. Airi Okairos
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 01:13:58 PM »
Aurelia, donned in her full silver plate that gleams in the light, walked through the opening into the arena. 

Yes, walked.  Unfortunately, the rules of the tournament are not working in her favor.  No actions can be taken before the start of the match, including activation of semblances.  This effectively seals her semblance unless she can find a way to buy herself 15 seconds to summon it.  She'll going into this fight and every fight in the festival with a heavy disadvantage.

That being said, given the arena's small size and current terrain, it's possible it would have gotten in the way anyways.  Trees to block the way on her opponent's side, and land mines in the form of ice dust on hers.  Not exactly what Aurelia would call "cavalry friendly."  But perhaps she can use the terrain to her advantage...

Regardless, Aurelia strode forward with picture-perfect posture towards her opponent, currently keeping her sword sheathed and her shield clasped to her back.  She extends a hand towards Airi and simply says, "Let us have a good match."
Smokey Emberstone Beacon 1st Year and the Immovable Gunslinger of Team DASE "I've got more than enough firepower to beat you" "You've only got one bullet!" "Like I said, more than enough"

Aurelia Lumen Beacon 3rd year and the Warhorse of Team (TBD)  "Lay down your weapons, lest you wish to taste my steel!"

Wabul "Toast" Paka Shade 1st year and the Acrobatic Swashbuckler of Team (TBD)  "Hey, I'm gonna go jump off a bridge, who's with me?"

Lucas Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Hermit of Team CLVS  "What's so great about 'bittersweet'?"

Clara Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Blast Magician of Team (TBD) "No one likes just plain ol' bitter"

August Flare Beacon 1st year and the would-be ruler of the world "Join me, and witness the Brightest Future!"

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

FunkyMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 02:39:58 PM »
Airi walked towards the center of the arena in preparation of the beginning of the match.  As she did so, she looked around her at the field.  Forest and Ice Dust should be helpful.  She recalled the announcer commenting on her opponent's use of a mount and charging into battle.  If that was the case, there would be no sense for her to remain in the open areas of the arena.  Once at the middle, she saw that Aurelia extended her hand to Airi in a courteous greeting, so Airi returned the politeness and shook Aurelia's hand.  With a nod, she said "best of luck."  With that, Airi took several steps back. 

As an opening matter, Airi had no intention of staying in the open center.  So, she took her sword, Atropos, and swung it at her opponent, using the kinetic dust module to launch an arcing dust slash at Aurelia.  As soon as she had done so, she turned her back on her opponent and ran back towards the forest section behind her.  There, she reasoned, there would be little room for Aurelia to make a charge, and at the least, Airi would have the advantage of being able to try and lay an ambush.  Airi activated her semblance and dropped two time remnants in her place.  She could adjust their time frames later, so for now, she set them at three seconds and eight seconds.

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 01:29:54 AM »
After shaking hands, Aurelia's movements mirrored her opponent's, taking a few steps back and readying her sword and shield.  She was now prepared for battle.

Unfortunately, it seems her opponent was less so.  After deflecting the initial strike with the shield, Aurelia watches Airi turn her back and start heading for the forest.  Tutting in annoyance, she sheathes her sword and returns her shield to her back in one swift, well-practiced motion.  But instead of letting go of the sword, she pulls a trigger in the hilt, causing the sword and the sheathe to start shifting.

Spinning the now-rifle in her hand, she brings it to rest against her shoulder and flicks another switch, this one to feed ice dust to the ammunition within.  She has no intention of letting Airi escape into the forest.  She fires twice, both aimed low to shackle her opponent's movements, before saying, "It is poor form to turn your back on an opponent."

Aura: 100%
Dusk Rounds: 8/10
Dust available/total:  Fire 20/20  Ice 18/20  Lightning 20/20

Noble Steed "duration": 8 hours

Attack log:  two shots aimed to the legs (5% +1.5% ice + immobility) x2
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 03:00:48 AM by ReaperJoe »
Smokey Emberstone Beacon 1st Year and the Immovable Gunslinger of Team DASE "I've got more than enough firepower to beat you" "You've only got one bullet!" "Like I said, more than enough"

Aurelia Lumen Beacon 3rd year and the Warhorse of Team (TBD)  "Lay down your weapons, lest you wish to taste my steel!"

Wabul "Toast" Paka Shade 1st year and the Acrobatic Swashbuckler of Team (TBD)  "Hey, I'm gonna go jump off a bridge, who's with me?"

Lucas Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Hermit of Team CLVS  "What's so great about 'bittersweet'?"

Clara Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Blast Magician of Team (TBD) "No one likes just plain ol' bitter"

August Flare Beacon 1st year and the would-be ruler of the world "Join me, and witness the Brightest Future!"

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

FunkyMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 02:43:27 AM »
Airi kept running towards the forested areas when all of sudden, she felt a moderate impact to her legs and sharp chilling sensation.  She looked down and saw her legs starting to get covered with frost.  Surmising that she was just shot with ice dust, she briefly berated herself for failing to anticipate that her opponent had a transforming weapon with a ranged mode.  Airi looked over her shoulder at Aurelia and then looked back ahead at the forest, which she was not too far from.  Aurelia's ranged capability and her own lack of one was all the more reason she needed to reach the tree line. 

Trying her best to keep her pace, Airi activated a small amount of fire dust from Fateweaver before letting her legs grow weighty and stiff from the ice.  She used the increasing awkwardness of her gait to enter a diving tumble-somersault, and as she did so, she brought Fateweaver to her legs and used the fire dust to quickly melt the ice and warm her legs.  She grimaced a little as the flames licked, but she drove the though of the stinging pain out of her mind; she needed to keep moving.  With her pace interrupted only briefly, Airi continued running full speed towards the trees, but not before hopping up a little into the air, turning around midair, and using her sword, Atropos, to launch another large, cleaving, kinetic dust arc towards Aurelia's stationary champion.   "That should keep Aurelia from getting another clear shot on me," she thought to herself as she almost reached the tree line of the forest section.  Airi looked back once more behind her at appointment and shouted, "You're going to have to chase me or else I'm going to slip away," taunting Aurelia. 

Airi decided to adjust her time remnants and pushed them back their time frames to five seconds and ten seconds.

Aura: 92%
Atropos Kinetic Dust: 80%
Fateweaver Fire Dust: 95%

Attacks: self-injury w/ fire dust for rapid de-icing (-1.5%); Kinetic Dust Arc (7.5% if hit, but given distance and Airi's firing from the hip, dodge should not be difficult)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 02:45:01 AM by FunkyMonkey »

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 03:12:36 AM »
Aurelia makes to fire a third time to immobilize her opponent, but is forced to sidestep an attack from an incredibly acrobatic Airi.  Watching her reach the treeline, Aurelia sighed in disappointment.  Stubborn opponents are annoying.  She doesn't give chase though, instead taking a moment to observe and reflect on the past few seconds.  Airi's semblance seems related to those images of her, and they seem to repeat her every movement.  What else they can do is unclear.  What is clear, however, is that Airi's ranged options seem incredibly limited, which might just give Aurelia an opening she desperately wants.

Instead of chasing after her opponent like Airi wants, Aurelia moves towards the edge of the dust field.  "Don't worry, I'll catch up if I need to," she says coolly in response to Airi's provocations, and then she holds out her hand and begins to glow.  A faint glowing circle appears beneath her that slowly brightens as time goes by.  She's attempting to activate her semblance. 

In theory, Aurelia's far enough away that any attack Airi sends out can be easily side-stepped.  It will interrupt the summoning, but until Airi either lets Aurelia finish or moves closer to engage in melee, they'll be playing what is essentially a really boring game of chicken.  In theory, at least.

Aura: 100%

Noble Steed "duration": 8 hours  (currently attempting a summon, 10 seconds remaining at start of next turn.)

Action:  Retreating, attempting a summon

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

FunkyMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 01:04:37 AM »
Airi took cover in the tree line.  Catching her breath, she looked across the arena to see what Aurelia was doing.  Her opponent seemed to be concentrating on something with her aura, though what exactly, she could not tell.  If she had to guess, Aurelia was summoning her semblance.  "Perhaps she needs time to summon her semblance mount," she thought to herself.  Running to the tree line definitely would not have been the ideal course of action, if that was the case, but Airi didn't have much time to dwell in that now.  Airi looked around and found several relatively straight tree branches.  Cutting them off the tree and hastily trimming off the sub-branches of one, she dropped down to the forest floor.  With the trimmed branch in her right hand, gripped by Fateweaver, she took a javelin toss stance and launched the branch at her opponent, hoping to interrupt whatever it was she was doing.  Kinetic dust from Fateweaver allowed Airi to boost the power of her throws, ensuring that the straight branches would make it across the arena towards Aurelia and that the impact of being hit with one would be quite painful...for a stick.

Airi decided that while she could, perhaps she should reverse her previous course of action and try to engage in close combat while her opponent was still dismounted.  Reabsorbing her 3-second time remnant and then grabbing the several branches she picked, including one that was spear-like in length, Airi activated her semblance and returned to her 10-second time remnant, now 7 seconds behind her.  With that, she was no longer was in the tree line, and was instead about 40% of the way to Aurelia, just in time to watch the tree branch from her toss fly past her own head and towards her opponent.  From here, Airi threw another branch, against boosted with dust from Fateweaver.  However, being much closer, perhaps within the range of javelin weapons used in the old days, meant that this second throw was going to hit much quicker and much more painfully.

With that, Airi, still clutching the remaining branches, created four time remnants, set at 2 seconds, 4 seconds, 7 seconds, and 10 seconds, and ran at Aurelia.  However, she was zigzagging a little bit so that she wouldn't be running in a straight line - an easy target for any retaliatory fire from her opponent.  Airi knew that tactically, she needed to engage Aurelia before the summoning she could summon her semblance mount, but admittedly, a part of Airi wanted to see the mount and test her own capabilities against it.

Aura: 92% (unchanged)
Atropos Kinetic Dust: 80% (unchanged)
Fateweaver Fire Dust: 95% (unchanged)
Fateweaver Kinetic Dust: 90%

Attacks: branch-javelin toss (2% for first one, 3.5% for second one)

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 01:53:47 AM »
Aurelia stood still and continued the process of summoning while watching her opponent.  She learned a few interesting things, notably that Airi could reabsorb those images, although their purpose still remained unclear.  Still, the closer she is to understanding, the more able she'll be to exploit any weaknesses. 

Aurelia also had clear view of Airi's hap-hazard weapon-making, which was...creative.  She watched her opponent chuck the make-shift javelin and was about to sidestep when she was distracted by much more relevant information. Oh, so that's what they can do--ow! she thought to herself before being jerked back into reality by the branch just in time to spin out of the way of the second. 

She pulls the shift-trigger of Dusk, and it begins to revert to a sword and sheathe that is quickly clipped to her waist once more.  Drawing the sword and shield once more, she faces her opponent dead on and says, "So, you've made up your mind to face me after all?  Good, then let us begin in earnest!"

A small part of her is disappointed she won't be able to use her semblance, but such are the rules of the tournament.  And besides, nothing worth having will come easy.

Aura: 98%

Noble Steed "duration": 8 hours (summoning interrupted)

Action:  Switching Dusk and Dawn to Sword & Board, preparing to defend herself.

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

FunkyMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 12:44:39 AM »
Upon seeing that Aurelia was open to engaging her in a duel, Airi slowed down her approach.  Edging up to her opponent carefully, she slowly circled around her opponent, still advancing, but always moving in the direction toward the side of Aurelia's shield, so that the large piece of metal would always be between herself and her opponent.  Aurelia would have to keep adjusting her stance if she didn't want her shield side to interfere with her ability to swing her weapon.  After several seconds of walking in a circle, Airi raised her sword over diagonally across her body over her right shoulder as if preparing for a broad slash.  However, right before she followed the preparation through with the slash, she abruptly shifted her weight back and spun on her backfoot, twirling in the other direction on the side of Aurelia's sword arm.  In a swift motion, she used her new angle to get a shot behind the flat face of Aurelia's shield.  With Fateweaver, Airi blasted Aurelia's shield-side foot with ice dust to root it to the arena floor.  Airi raised her sword arm instinctively in anticipatory defense from Aurelia's sword side.

Fateweaver Kinetic Dust: 90% (unchanged)
Fateweaver Ice Dust: 90%

Attacks: Ice dust blast (4% + immobilization)

Edit b/c forgot to suggest damage.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 12:47:41 AM by FunkyMonkey »

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 01:23:38 AM »
Aurelia's stance shifts in response to Airi's movements, but not in the way her opponent expects. She instead keeps her shield purposefully in between herself and the woman in front of her, with Dusk's blade directly behind her.  Ordinarily, this would mean Dusk would have to travel around not only one obstacle, but two: Dawn and herself.  As a third year student, this could not be excused as an ordinary novice mistake.  No, there was purpose for this. 

As Airi circled Aurelia, the horse-faunus carefully waited for her opponent to make her move.  The instant Airi raised her sword to strike, Aurelia exploded into action.  She jumped to Airi's left, which had two consequences.  One, it completely exposed her to a sword strike, as her shield was now not in proper position to defend.  Two, her sword now had a very clean path to Airi.  Aurelia had intended to exchange blow for blow.  As Dusk began its arc, she activated both fire and lightning dust, causing the blade to spark and crackle with energy. 

Unfortunately, it seemed Airi had other ideas.  She abandoned her initial attack, which was now clearly revealed to be a feint, and spun out of the way of Aurelia's strike.  Unfortunately for Airi, Aurelia's sudden shift in position would have made it much more difficult to get a shot at her foot, and the attack would have missed.  It seems this particular exchange is a double-whiff. 

Aura: 98%
Dust available/total:  Fire 18/20  Ice 18/20  Lightning 18/20

Action:  Whiff with sword, but unexpectedly dodging Airi's attack in the same stroke. 

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

FunkyMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 02:51:47 AM »
Aurelia suddenly shifted towards Airi's left, causing her to miss her ice dust attack and blocking her from further advancing around Aurelia's sword arm.  The movement caught Airi off guard.  At first, she thought that Aurelia had clearly saw through her feint, but when she saw that Aurelia missed with her own dust attack and aimed for where she had been just before, Airi deduced that that was not the case and was somewhat relieved.  Nevertheless, Aurelia and Airi were a bit closer together than she had anticipated.  She had to make this work for her.

Aurelia's sudden shift and left her shield in a less defensive position, and allowed Airi to advance closer to the inside zone of her opponent.  Quickly, she kicked Aurelia's shield sidewards, aiming to keep her opponent off balance and unable to use it to reform a tight, defensive posture.  Immediately following that, Airi unlocked Fateweaver's spool and snapping her free arm quickly and sharply in a mauling motion at Aurelia's face, though she seemed to aim a little high, perhaps as if swinging at her forehead instead.  It appeared that she was focusing on the speed and power of the swing more than its accuracy.

Fateweaver Ice Dust: 90% (unchanged)

Attacks: Kicking (negligible damage but throw off balance); Mauling at head (5%)

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 11:23:26 PM »
Running away, "rewinding" (for lack of a better term), and now feints?  Why does Airi insist on making things complicated?  Aurelia doesn't have any more time to think, as the aforementioned combatant kicks her shield.  Acting on trained reflex rather than conscious thought, Aurelia uses the momentum from that kick to spin around her backfoot, just as Airi did seconds ago. As her shield came back around, she uses it to bash Airi.  Unfortunately, her spin maneuver left her open, and she is unable to dodge Fateweaver in turn.  Still, with her shield in this position, Aurelia's guard should be back up and much harder to break.

Aura: 93%
Dust available/total:  Fire 18/20  Ice 18/20  Lightning 18/20

Action:  Shield bash (3%)

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

FunkyMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 02:23:32 AM »
Airi was hit by the shield bash, and she, being usually light on her feet, let herself be pushed back by the shield bash, though she did contort herself to avoid touching her closest time remnant.  Nevertheless, she was able to make the mauling cleave against Aurelia, which was what really mattered.  With her cable-thread spool unlocked, the gossamer-thin cable that attached to Fateweaver and used it as a guide, followed the motion of Airi's attack.  The slackness of the cable due to the unlocking of the spool allowed the momentum to carry the cable into the shape of a large loop, and with Airi's exaggerated motion, the cable loop fell onto Aurelia's shoulders. 

As Airi semi-controlledly fell backwards as a result of the shield bash, she re-locked the spool and reengaged its spring mechanism, causing of the cable to lose all its slack, tightening against the back of Aurelia's neck and digging in with its incredible fineness.  Once she had her footing again, Airi again quickly moved to circle Aurelia towards her sword side, keeping Fateweaver's durable gossamer thread-cable taught and Atropos at the ready in case she needed to quickly block.

Aura: 89% (unchanged)

Attacks: Fateweaver cable thread (2%, but restricting the movement of Aurelia's core and connecting her to Airi)

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 01:41:36 AM »
Aurelia was in a bit of a bind.  Literally.  She couldn't let herself be trapped by these threads or this was going to be a very short fight, indeed.  Her mind raced to think of a way out, thinking back through the fight for any weaknesses she could exploit.  But then something caught her attention.

Airi "dodged" her own semblance...?  Aurelia wasn't sure as to why, but Airi definitely made a conscious decision to avoid her own image.  It wasn't much to go on, but Aurelia had to make a move, and she had to do it now.

Chasing after her opponent, Aurelia used what leverage she had with her sword arm to thrust Dusk at her opponent.  It's an awkward lunge made with the opposite foot, which would reduce the power of the strike.  However, the fire and lightning dust she's using will ensure that it will sting quite heavily, probably still more than any strike Airi's made so far this fight. 

Too bad it's a feint.

Before the thrust makes contact, Aurelia flicks her wrist and sends her sword skyward, the tip of the blade flying close enough to Airi's chin that it could have shaved her.  The intent was to direct the woman's attention upward while Aurelia enacted her hastily put-together plan.  With her sword hand now empty, Aurelia preemptively sends out an aura shield to intercept any counter from her opponent's blade, while the foot she lunged with slams down on Airi's own, locking her in place for the true attack. 

Using some of the momentum from her initial lunge, Aurelia pivots on her forward foot and lifts her other leg to send it careening into Airi's side.  The kick has all of her weight behind it, as Aurelia intends to use it to force Airi straight into the fragment she took great pains to avoid only seconds earlier.  Aurelia doesn't know what to expect.  For all she knows, she just sacrificed her sword in exchange for removing one temporary clone.  It's a desperate maneuver based on little information, but if Aurelia doesn't take risks, there's no way she'll survive this tournament without her semblance.  At the very least, though, she'll have delivered a heavy kick.  It's intent might be to shove, but Aurelia is a horse-faunus, and horses are known for their strong legs.

Aura: 91%
Dust available/total:  Fire 16/20  Ice 18/20  Lightning 16/20 (Dust used in feint)

Action:  Kick into closest time remnant (4%)

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

FunkyMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 11:53:08 AM »
That kick was quite heavy, and it hurt.  However she couldn't let herself think about the pain, because she had a much more pressing issue.  Her opponent had attempted to kick her into her time remnant.  It was definitely a danger that Airi faced in using her semblance, but that's why Airi very rarely put a time remnant less than two seconds behind her - from her experience, at least two seconds gave her time to react.  Still staggering back from the kick, Airi activated her semblance and rewinded to her two-second time remnant, releasing an aura burst in the immediate area of her time remnant.  An aura shockwave resulting from a two-second rewind was not a very powerful attack, but it was still enough to easily match the force of the kick Airi just experienced.  Airi's opponent would be knocked backwards by the force of the shockwave, but with the Timeweaver thread still around Aurelia's neck, she wouldn't be going anywhere without a bit of whiplash and more laceration as the threads continued to dig deeper.

Now would be an opportune time to attack her opponent, but first things first.  Using a small amount of kinetic dust from Atropos, Airi made a light slashing arc directed at Aurelia's sword, which was by now falling back down through the air towards the arena floor.  Aurelia's sword was sent flying off to the edge of the arena.  Then without hesitation, Airi stepped forward with her sword raised and ready for a strike.

Aura: 85%
Atropos Kinetic Dust: 75%

Attacks:  Rewind Aura Blast and resulting thread whiplash laceration (6% + 2%)