Author Topic: Ruston "Rusty" Trystman  (Read 2538 times)

Cruivoire

• Personal Text
    Despite everything, it's still me.
    • View Profile
Ruston "Rusty" Trystman
« on: December 17, 2016, 11:55:19 PM »
CHARACTER

Name: Ruston Trystman (nicknamed "Rusty" and "Two Hands", the latter stemming from his ability to effectively use pistol dual-wielding)

Species and Gender: Faunus (Buffalo), Male

Symbol: A "rusty red" flame surrounded by a halo. 

Appearance: Ruston has the appearance of a young Caucasian male with lightly tanned skin, 5'9" and weighing 145 pounds. He has burgundy facial stubble and hair of neck-length, combed back with a few strands curved and slanted in front of his forehead. Two black horns protrude from each temple, curved and pointed forward. His eyes are gray with moderate bags underneath. Although he is known to wear various forms of clothing, his primary choice consists of a red flannel jacket over a black short-sleeve dress shirt, black gloves, a dark gold bandana with the Trystman symbol on the front and pale blue pants tucked into black combat boots. His pistols are holstered at either hip, with his munitions hooked on straps around the waist and across the chest.

History:
Ruston was born on the outskirts of Vacuo kingdom in the Trystman family, a group of nomadic scavengers. He was an only child raised by his father Parnell and his mother Gena. Because scarce resources forced the Trystman to constantly keep traveling, Parnell and Gena could never find a place suitable enough to properly raise Ruston. However, they did their best and did what they could with the small amount of supplies they could obtain. In addition, the Trystman were close-knit, with other family members moving to help Parnell and Gina as much as themselves. They looked after him until he was nine years old, then taught him on how to survive and combat Vacuo's harsh wastelands.

Because he was still rather young, Ruston didn't initially participate in direct combat. Instead, he was taught on how to sneak past his foes and even steal from them whenever the opportunity arose. In order to test his skills, his parents occasionally gave him chances to actually pilfer from unsuspecting travelers. Such tests often put him in danger, with initial attempts resulting in being discovered and having to be rescued before he got too hurt. But after a handful of months, Ruston was able to become proficient in the art of theft and pick-pocketing. At the age of thirteen, Gena taught him how to craft his own weapon using material scavenged from opposing bandits and travelers. This led to the creation of "Salt and Pepper", which would slowly be upgraded and modified as time passed. It was also the time that he was taught the ways of direct confrontation, and he spent two years training with his parents.

While traversing a forest en route to Alapelagias, the Trystman were ambushed by the Cavalcade, resulting in a massive battle. Despite the Trystman being on their guard at the time of the ambush, the overwhelming numbers of the enemy bandits gave them an edge against the Trystman. A fifteen-year-old Ruston, albeit taking down a few bandits by himself, eventually took a critical shot to the flank. His parents, although holding their own, suffered several of their own wounds trying to defend their son. Backed into a corner, Parnell forced Ruston to run from the fight while they continued to hold off the bandits. Thanks to this, Ruston was able to escape. But he had to spend the next months by himself, traversing the lands and being challenged by both Grimm and enemy scavengers. By the time he reached Alapelagias, he was moderately malnourished and in a near-death state. Luckily, he was found by concerned citizens before he could waste away.

Ruston spent a year in Alapelagias, using the supplies he scavenged in order to make a living for himself. He used his stay as a breather, recovering and building up his supplies. He also spent his time mourning the loss of his family; after not encountering any other Trystman, much less his parents, he concluded that they had perished in the battle against the Cavalcade. He left Alapelagias on a purchased ATV to continue traveling the world and find a way to obtain revenge on the Cavalcade.

Personality:
Ruston is low-key and reserved, yet approachable and casual in his interactions with other people. He treats others with courtesy, keeping up a friendly attitude if he is able to. He is even mischievous, snarky and sly on occasion, making a hobby out of pulling pranks on other people. However, he keeps himself a certain emotional distance from other people. He prefers keeping most things about himself a secret, but commonly observes and analyzes other people in order to deduce their character. He is most notable for being lazy and is often seen laying down, napping or sleeping. Despite his laid-back attitude, he can quickly become provoked if belittled or bullied; he will initially act in restrained anger, but will lash out if the antagonism persists. If he is unable to casually deflect attempts to learn about him, he will often bluntly (and even harshly) warn the one speaking to him.

Although he does his best to keep it from being obvious, Ruston is distrustful of other people. His paranoia prompts him to keep his weapons with him at all times. He is also very vengeful, capable of holding a grudges against exceptionally negative acts committed against him. He will kill those he holds a deep hatred for if he can get away with it, and if not, he will still behave with subtle hostility. In open confrontation against such people, Ruston expresses sadism whenever he hurts or kills, although he never indulges in active torture. He will, however, verbally and physically taunt his target until their psyche is completely worn down, if he hasn't defeated them beforehand.

Ruston holds a Darwinist and nihilistic world-view, believing Remnant to be teetering on the edge of extinction due to the Grimm and the poor state of the majority of the world. He makes it a priority to look out for no one but himself. He will even leave the ones closest to being friends with him in danger if it means preserving his life. His primary desire is "to have a place where he can watch the world go by without being touched by what happens, as well as a place he can sleep forever in". However, he does not go out of his way to constantly exploit other people, preferring to stay out of trouble as much as he can. He is humble, dismissing praise and insisting that whatever he has achieved are things anyone can do if they wanted to.

Aura and Semblance: Ruston's Aura is a burgundy color, mainly showing up through brief, glowing pulses in his hands and weaponry whenever he is using his Semblance. In turn, his Semblance is the ability to absorb the force of both the blows of his enemies and the recoil of his own weaponry. He can release this energy in controlled offensive bursts to bolster his physical attacks and the stopping power of his shots. Blows closer to and directly against the body will absorb more force, although it comes at the obvious price of getting injured. In addition, the amount of Aura lost is doubled when used to reflect the force absorbed. If Ruston receives a blow that deals 5% damage, it will cost an additional 5 percent to redirect it, resulting in 10% of Ruston's Aura lost. Naturally, if Ruston receives a blow that drains half of his Aura, it will cost the remaining half to redirect it. If Ruston's Aura is below 50 percent, the Semblance cannot be used. It also makes Ruston more vulnerable to being worn down, as even the recoil of his gunshots (albeit at a lighter cost than enemy attacks) can drain his Aura.

Combat Behavior:
Ruston is heavily pragmatic, relying on any means necessary in order to get an edge over his adversary. He will engage his opponent commonly from either a distance or a hidden location/a place unable to be easily accessed. He will use the environment as a weapon, his actions varying from throwing dirt and stones to shooting down detachable obstacles to stun/incapacitate his target. When confronted in close-quarters, he will switch the forms of his weapon at random to surprise his opponent. He will constantly move to their undefended areas to strike. Before a fight, he will try to keep himself several steps ahead, perceive an opponent's abilities/actions and act accordingly to counter them or otherwise manipulate them in his favor.

Ruston's strengths is his intelligence, his pragmatic approach to dealing with his enemies, a knack for strategy and analysis, a physically fit form, moderate hand-to-hand combat skills and how effective he is at dual-wielding his pistols. He lacks the ability to fight at long range, often having to move in close to do substantial damage to his enemy. Although his nunchaku can be wielded to great effect offensively, it is not-so-good in defense. Heavier weapons can easily parry the nunchaku and even disarm Ruston if struck hard enough.

WEAPON

Name: Salt and Pepper

Primary Form: Two burgundy pistols with gold detail, each one bearing an appearance similar to the Benjamin Marauder. There is a chain hanging from the butt of each pistol, with opposing magnets attached to the ends of the chains.  The "Salt" pistol uses slugs and has to be breech-loaded after one shot, while "Pepper" is magazine-fed, uses standard Dust ammunition and has a capacity of fifteen rounds. While Salt is best suited for close-quarters and Pepper for mid-range, both weapons are effective in close-quarters when paired together; Salt delivers heavy damage and has the potential of crippling a target enough for Pepper to finish off.

Secondary Form: The magnets at the end of the chains are connected, and the pistols shift into sticks. The result is nunchaku, which is strictly melee-oriented.

Tertiary Form: The magnets are disconnected, but the pistols still remain as sticks. The result is dual flails, which are strictly melee-oriented.

Dust Functions: Salt relies primarily on Fire Dust slugs, although other types of Dust can be used. Pepper can use any Dust rounds compatible for pistol-type weaponry, not relying on any particular type of Dust.

History: Salt and Pepper was crafted by a thirteen-year-old Rusty with the assistance of his parents during their stay at a village. Originally, they were primitive, relied on unorthodox ammunition (e.g. stones, carved sticks, etc.) and did not possess an alternate melee form. Over the years, they were upgraded and modified to suit a more modernized field of combat.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 05:51:33 PM by Cruivoire »

Skylia

• Been Around

• Personal Text
    O kawaii koto
    • View Profile
Re: Ruston "Rusty" Trystman
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 07:53:18 PM »
Hi there, and apologies for the semi-long wait. Let's get straight into it, shall we?

But after a handful of months, Ruston was able to master the art of theft and pick-pocketing.

I don't like the way this is phrased, as it really plays him up to be more than he probably is. I've never liked the use of the word "master", as it could put the kid on the same terms as, say, a 30 year old thief as well. I'd suggest changing this to "Ruston was able to become proficient in the art of theft/pick-pocketing".

The last things that I'd like is in regards to the semblance. I'd like a general idea of an aura drain for the "controlled offensive bursts". Can't have him running around doing this without any setbacks, now can we?

That should be all from me, as I found everything else to be nice and simplistic.

Lucina Archaletta - The Haughty Hipster - 1st Year Beacon Student on Team ALIA

Vanilla Stella-Maris - The Indomitable Idol - Special Operations Combat Idol  - WiP

Primrose Palatine - The Dexterous Duelist - Atlesian Professor of Combat Flow - WiP

Cruivoire

• Personal Text
    Despite everything, it's still me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 05:51:44 PM »
Hi there, and apologies for the semi-long wait. Let's get straight into it, shall we?

I don't like the way this is phrased, as it really plays him up to be more than he probably is. I've never liked the use of the word "master", as it could put the kid on the same terms as, say, a 30 year old thief as well. I'd suggest changing this to "Ruston was able to become proficient in the art of theft/pick-pocketing".

The last things that I'd like is in regards to the semblance. I'd like a general idea of an aura drain for the "controlled offensive bursts". Can't have him running around doing this without any setbacks, now can we?

That should be all from me, as I found everything else to be nice and simplistic.

Roger that! I read your review and did my best to adjust accordingly.

-Use of Ruston's Semblance results in the amount of Aura loss doubled. (e.g. if Ruston takes a hit that drains 5% of his Aura, his Semblance takes away 5% more to redirect the force used.) Ruston's Aura can also be drained by the recoil of his shots, although at a very small rate compared to attacks.
-Ruston's "thieving/pick-pocketing mastery" has been changed to "achieving proficiency".

Skylia

• Been Around

• Personal Text
    O kawaii koto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 04:54:58 PM »
Great, I don't have any other problems. Approved (1/2).
Lucina Archaletta - The Haughty Hipster - 1st Year Beacon Student on Team ALIA

Vanilla Stella-Maris - The Indomitable Idol - Special Operations Combat Idol  - WiP

Primrose Palatine - The Dexterous Duelist - Atlesian Professor of Combat Flow - WiP

jjb2158

• Personal Text
    The Destroyer of Dreams & Expectations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 09:46:26 PM »
It might be hard for him to find a decent thread to be in since most threads are based in/around Beacon. Just wanted to point that out. I don't see any real problems here either

Approved 2 of 2.
First Year Beacon Student: Rackley Winchester - The Hawkeye Sniper currently Teamless

Second Year Beacon Student: Jett Davenport - The Playful Shadow Knight of Team MLDC (Melodic)

Third Year Beacon Student: Suntalia Lyn Ryker - The Voice of Thunder currently Teamless

Fourth Year Beacon Student: Savas Carnelian - The Quiet Berserker Leader of Team SARK (Stark)

Beacon Professor: Oberon Falcov - The Man With A Plan / Team Strategy Teacher of Beacon