Author Topic: Damage dealt by attacks  (Read 11723 times)

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
Damage dealt by attacks
« on: January 22, 2017, 02:11:09 AM »
I've been reading through some of the more combat orientated threads and I see a lot of people talking about how much percentage of their opponent's aura each of their attacks would do. I can't find anywhere suggesting an outline for how much damage basic attacks, let alone aura or semblance boosted ones, would do. Is this worked out by the authors before each 'fight' or are authors, and the moderators, simply trusted to keep what damage their characters can do balanced?

Sorry if this is answered else where and thankyou in advance for any responses.
No criticism is too harsh so hit me with your best shot.

Calen Shrike - ASTC - First Year Beacon.

Saffron de Cortez - SALT - Third Year Atlas.

Amarant Lovis - (formerly of)ACCE - Headmaster of Atlas Academy

Ramalia - RASB - First Year Shade

arcus_gray

• Personal Text
    There's no accounting for dumbass
    • View Profile
Re: Damage dealt by attacks
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 08:15:45 AM »
It isn't  a subject with it's pwn thread because this site trusts people to play fairly  (they usually don't) though it was mentioned in the vytal discussion thread what sort of attack shpuld deal what sort of damage.
1st year reckless idiot of team LGGR- Gray Saggio- "oh screw it. I'll just hit it till it dies!" 660066

psychotic mercenary- Alizarin rust "make me your enemy and they won't be able to identify your corpse"1C6BA0[/url]

lone wolf huntsman. ex member of team SAND cerulean steel "You are welcome to accompany me but if something goes wrong I'll deal with it myself." 2B3B44

1st year glass canon of team TBD Fallow Russet  "I may have been forced into this but that doesn't mean i don't like it." 50c878

2nd year drunken gearhead(teamless) Revya Vermillion "If you were to change to a lighter metal and add gears here, here and here you could greatly- I've entirely lost you haven't I?" Orange

1st year nimble tank of team CRSA Sandy Smoke "I've been told I'm a right bastard to fight against. Care to try ya luck?"355e3b[/color]

Guardian huntsman and drummer for Grimm Omen Ceramite Gunmetal "A barfight? alright then. SHOWTIME!" 800020 WIP[/u]

White Fang power couple. Ignis and Glacies. [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwpudWRx7eg] Partners in crime

Ordelis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 11:20:54 AM »
I was really hoping there would be some set of rules that would establish exactly what attacks would do how much damage, what about semblance? Dust based attacks? Combination of all? What determines how fast someone is? Are they slower or faster then their opponent? How stronger or weaker is someone?are they able to block the attack?
Also fights are basically up to one person to admit defeat no? Everybody obviously wants to win but it's not really who's the winner more like "alright who's willing to be the loser"
Solar Rasie "What's this thing? What does it do? Can I play with it!?"
https://i.imgur.com/161JzXc.png

Ribeiro Ispecs
"Can I see the color of your blood? Please?"

arcus_gray

• Personal Text
    There's no accounting for dumbass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 12:29:22 PM »
Hence why fights on this site are BS and my characters are basically punching bags for everyone else. If you get both parties willing to lose it is a lot of fun though. Or so i have heard. I have yet to experience it.
1st year reckless idiot of team LGGR- Gray Saggio- "oh screw it. I'll just hit it till it dies!" 660066

psychotic mercenary- Alizarin rust "make me your enemy and they won't be able to identify your corpse"1C6BA0[/url]

lone wolf huntsman. ex member of team SAND cerulean steel "You are welcome to accompany me but if something goes wrong I'll deal with it myself." 2B3B44

1st year glass canon of team TBD Fallow Russet  "I may have been forced into this but that doesn't mean i don't like it." 50c878

2nd year drunken gearhead(teamless) Revya Vermillion "If you were to change to a lighter metal and add gears here, here and here you could greatly- I've entirely lost you haven't I?" Orange

1st year nimble tank of team CRSA Sandy Smoke "I've been told I'm a right bastard to fight against. Care to try ya luck?"355e3b[/color]

Guardian huntsman and drummer for Grimm Omen Ceramite Gunmetal "A barfight? alright then. SHOWTIME!" 800020 WIP[/u]

White Fang power couple. Ignis and Glacies. [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwpudWRx7eg] Partners in crime

Poof!

• Been Around

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 01:10:36 PM »
IMO, there should be a guideline to the percentages based on certain traits (For example, being able to hit harder if you're bigger/stronger, or to get more hits in if you're more agile/faster). If people wanted to give these competitions more of an element of chance (ie, using a randomizer), then both parties should agree amongst themselves before the battle commences to roll some dice behind the scenes (both opposed rolls, highest roll wins) so when attacking, defending, or maneuvering, you clearly succeed in your attempt or whatever during a single instance within an engagement. This site in particular I find rather useful when two people are required to roll dice: http://www.catchyourhare.com/diceroller/

As far as introducing an actual system...I'm gonna have to stick with the mods on this one. I mean, this isn't supposed to be a PVP centric site anyway.
Miziren Starminer - 1st year student of Shade Academy and member of Team SMMR - "Strive for betterment in oneself, for in this way, betterment of all may be had."

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 07:09:03 PM »
I like that in a perfect world the fight would be decided by who most cleverly applies their characters strengths as well as allowing for more impromptu rp stuff but having some crunch would be nice but that is probably the DnD player in me.

The main reason why I asked this question was to do with aura power offense attacks. This would assumable drop your aura total so what is a good guide line for how much damage your aura does offensively? 2:1 would make sense to me, it's a more focused output than shielding and therefore should be more efficient but still shouldn't ensure a knockout.

But yea thanks again for the people throwing in their two cents.
No criticism is too harsh so hit me with your best shot.

Calen Shrike - ASTC - First Year Beacon.

Saffron de Cortez - SALT - Third Year Atlas.

Amarant Lovis - (formerly of)ACCE - Headmaster of Atlas Academy

Ramalia - RASB - First Year Shade

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    Infinite ADHD Asperger's physicist monkeys
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 08:47:41 PM »
Basically, the best you get is a mutual agreement with both parties along with some common sense. When in doubt, ask a mod.

I doubt anything else will fly, as strict rules and guidelines (I saw something about a dice roller on my way to the reply button) would hamper creative freedom.

Basically, be a nice guy and people will be nice to you.
Characters: ShowHide
Nathan Eau, De Facto Jetpack Guy and Leader of Team INKK
Camelia Sol, Miss Magnetic Personality and Leader of Team CAST
Anna Fall, Insightful Visionary of Team ASTC
Brock Greenwood, Human Titan of Team DGTL
Helena Chlophyll, Ray of Sunshine of Team CHES
Scarlett/Corinth,Korynn,etc. Briggart/Topaz (In the works)
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Maena Nadir, Coherent Beam of Team SSMR
Europa/Encela(dus)/Io/Callisto/Calypso (In the works)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"Some goddamn bullshit, Invictus Omega"
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"I swear it's not my fault"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"
"Librarian"
"Vibin'"
Cole McWrath
AAAA (a.k.a. AMAA)
AMCAA

Kiith

• Personal Text
    I don't know what I'm doing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 12:49:34 AM »
Please excuse this lazy way to engage in this conversation, but I will just go ahead and quote something I said on a topic similar to this a while ago.

Now, that is of course just a subjective look at things, but I would absolutely despise having a rigid, fixed combat system like those of the typical pen and paper RPG in place. I came to thise site in order write stories and interact with others, and I am willing to put my trust into those I interact with to 1)possess common sense and if needed the ability to have a constructive discussion about things if there is the need to talk about one's actions, and 2)have the balls to call me out on bullshit that I might be doing, because everybody fucks up at times, but if nobody talks about it nothing will change. And I will say that in the vast majority of cases, both points are very well satisfied by this community, with those problems that arise from the way things are being resolved very swiftly.

If on the other hand there would be a fixed combat system, then I would feel robbed of alot of the liberty I could have during the interaction with other characters. If I would want to have a fight resolved by a die roll I would go and play D&D. But I want a fight to be resolved via words; by telling the story as it unfolds, without any weird restrictions. In the end, it's all about the participants communicating and figuring stuff out together anyway. Common sense and communication.

Xarias Fury

• Personal Text
    TWo MilKmen go comedy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 07:50:36 PM »
I don't participate much in these combat threads due to a lot of the aforementioned reasons. However there is a way in which you could play and simply write that should be acceptable to both parties. If you have people examine both characters beforehand and judge them according to their weaknesses, strengths, intelligence, experience as well as combat behavior it shouldn't be too hard to reach a consensus on who should win the fight, how they win it and even how they react to each others. Sure some may argue that it limits 'freedom' but just as we limit character traits for the sake of balance and fairness it shouldn't be too hard to predetermine the outcome of a fight and write accordingly to reach that conclusion.

If two characters have roughly the same 'stats' it should be up to combat behavior. If not, Personality, or in other cases experience and maybe even luck(lucky slip on the floor?). Hence why I often stress the importance of detailed profiles but not to the extent where it seems like you're reading a novel. Short but sweet but has enough detail to get a good overview.

Another issue with fights is overdodging, blocking, and the like. In the show itself we see that the characters often DO get hit by attacks with few exceptions(Pyrrah) especially if they're on roughly the same level. Overthinking and lightning fast reaction times don't happen every attack especially when faced with an opponent they've never met before. So the end result? Get hit. take the damage. Have the character react accordingly. Combos are hard to pull off due to the somewhat turn based system we often employ but perhaps a little pre-planning such as an acceptable feint then a three hit combo that caught the opponent off guard can be agreed to. Only problem with this is response time due to varying timezones or schedules. Opening a discussion thread for you fight is also an acceptable way to discuss things while having a referee so to speak or while taking the opinions of others as well.

From what I see the most common problem with my suggestion is that some people tend to be too hard-headed and forgo advice or even suggestions due to pride, confidence, or even spite. Pick your opponent's wisely not just for the sake of a good fight but for the sake of good writing. If someone's too stubborn what usually happens is people getting mad and dropping the thread or having them walk-out the fight. And believe me nobody enjoys that.

This may be an RPG but don't forget the essence of what we do is writing. It is somewhat a game but it takes effort to plan something that's pleasant to read or enjoyable to write and since we rely on interactions with one or more person in a thread that makes it increasingly difficult but not impossible.   A little patience can go a long way. Also not being a selfish dick. People never enjoy those.
Students
Wisteria Lockheart - 1st Year student at Beacon. "Don't make me throw a book at you"
Shiroe Pendragon - 1st Year Student at beacon - "This is my monochrome reality" - Team MARS
Lavender du Lac - 1st Year Student at Haven -  "The harder I try the further things drift away."
Ayaka Miyamoto - 1st Year student at Beacon. "Tsubame Gaeshi!" - Team ALIA
Vermilion Desdemona - 3rd Year Student at Beacon - "Only time you'd be above me is when your head rests on my pike"
Talen de L'eglantine - 3rd Year Student at Beacon
Kei Almas - 4th Year Student at Beacon - "Everything is ripe for the taking!"
Aurum LeBlanc - 3rd Year Student at Atlas - "Lay back, take it easy, and watch the comedy unfold"

Professors
Professor William Nox - "To contain the world in a grain of dust

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    Infinite ADHD Asperger's physicist monkeys
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 05:38:19 AM »
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why Xar is a mod.
Characters: ShowHide
Nathan Eau, De Facto Jetpack Guy and Leader of Team INKK
Camelia Sol, Miss Magnetic Personality and Leader of Team CAST
Anna Fall, Insightful Visionary of Team ASTC
Brock Greenwood, Human Titan of Team DGTL
Helena Chlophyll, Ray of Sunshine of Team CHES
Scarlett/Corinth,Korynn,etc. Briggart/Topaz (In the works)
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Maena Nadir, Coherent Beam of Team SSMR
Europa/Encela(dus)/Io/Callisto/Calypso (In the works)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"Some goddamn bullshit, Invictus Omega"
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"I swear it's not my fault"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"
"Librarian"
"Vibin'"
Cole McWrath
AAAA (a.k.a. AMAA)
AMCAA

Zerco

• Personal Text
    Hanging in there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 09:01:57 AM »
*Appears out of thin air*

Well said!
Valentine Bloodfang - First Year Closet Cripple of Team SLVA - "How much edge could an edge lord lord if an edge lord could lord edge? Fufufu~"

Outdated Characters: ShowHide
Blanc Valiere - First Year Highly Explosive Member of Team CBLT - "Found you, you little shits!" AWAITING MY REWORK

Shiro Aikurushii - First Year Copycat of Team CHES - "Did someone say cool?" AWAITING MY REWORK