Author Topic: Glas Mossberg  (Read 5645 times)

Smile Junky

• View Profile
Glas Mossberg
« on: January 06, 2017, 07:29:24 PM »
CHARACTER

Name: Glas Mossberg

Species and Gender: Human Male

Symbol:
Spoiler: ShowHide

Appearance:
Glas: ShowHide

Standing around 5’7”,Glas has dark hair and emerald eyes. Not that many people usually able to see them from how he usually dresses, though. Glas never goes anywhere without a thick, deep green armored hooded jacket that he wears year-round, no matter the weather. With the hood up (which it is most of the day) most people can only really make out his nose and mouth. Underneath the jacket isn’t nearly as eye-catching though. Usually a plain tee or shirt and a pair of cargo pants for his casual wear. Even in times where he is supposed to dress formally he usually forgoes any sort of overcoat, but at least unzips his usual coat to reveal the nice dress clothes underneath.

While his coat might make him seem a bit bigger than he actually is, Glas actually has a medium build that’s also obscured by his slouch as he stands and sits. This is of course when he’s not sleeping, which happens a lot. On desks, against trees, on benches; anywhere that he can find where the warm sun can help lure him into a restful slumber. He also sports a rather relaxed and unassuming countenance in his everyday life, and generally comes across as a lazy but relaxed sort of person.

History: Originally from Windpath in Mistral, Glas was born to a family of Huntsmen mechanics who made their living repairing the town’s vehicles, weapons and tools. Being Mistral however, meant that the family business wasn’t exactly always the most noble of professions when it came down to it. Many pieces had to be “acquired” from secondary sources and third parties in most cases when they were hard to come by. This unfortunately meant that sometimes someone’s weapon just so happened to be repaired with a few parts that also just happened to be missing from a nearby shop or home. There was never enough evidence to fully implicate the Mossbergs of any major wrongdoings however, and their quality of work still managed to keep customers coming to their store.

Glas however, didn’t want anything to really do with the business. Ever since he was a small child he was always more happy to take naps than learn how to fix an engine. Happier to lounge in a tree than help fix jammed weapons. This worried his parents slightly, because someone was going to have to continue the family business, and he was an only child. As time went on however, they soon just became adjusted to it and accepted their son for what he was. As he got older, Glas couldn’t say the same about his parents choice of work. It kept them fed and housed sure, but even though he lived in Mistral surrounded by thieves and cutthroats he still wanted to live a more straight and narrow life. It didn’t help that his laidback nature dissuaded him from becoming just another pickpocket or hired thug as well.

Of course, this didn’t stop all the other pickpockets and hired thugs from trying to send a message to the Mossbergs for picking up their work supplies from less than legal sources. Deciding that even though their beef was with the parents, putting two hard working mechanics out of commission wouldn’t help anything in the long run. The obvious solution was to instead have a little “talk” with their son when he was on one of his various naps around town. Just to send a message, nothing more.

Their “harmless talk” soon had the unintended side-effect of awakening Glas’ Semblance however. The one thing that could finally light a fire underneath the nap-happy boy… Except it didn’t. Despite finding out his own powers and how to use them, Glas tried to return back to to his normal life of napping. It turned out that it wasn’t exactly as simple as he wished. The time soon came that he needed to pick an academy to further his Huntsman training and prepare for his future. Mistral had become much too exciting for him though, and he chose to have himself transferred to Beacon for a new (and hopefully quieter) start on life. Seeing the animosity that his parents business had sown among his hometown had spurred on something that he didn't normally feel: passion. A passion to have the Mossberg name not just be associated with shady business practices. Not to mention being in a city with much less moral ambiguity going on would be a nice chance of pace.

Personality: Glas is very laidback and easygoing, to a point where it seems like he would be sleeping on his feet if his body allowed him. Because of this, he might come across as unmotivated for a Huntsmen-in-training, but deep down inside is a strong sense of justice. It does also carry over to his studies, where he tends to often sleep through most lessons that don't immediately grab his interest. Luckily he does have a great interest in Anti-Grimm lessons, so he can rely on that to help keep his grades passable. He however finds it hard to begin trusting others though, mostly because of growing up with his parents and their disreputable business practices. But when you have his trust, it’s usually there to stay.

Of course, his tendency to sit back and relax might also rub some of more hard-working sensibilities the wrong way. Glas doesn’t mean anything by it however, it’s simply how he lives his life. Granted, it also has to do slightly with how his Semblance affects him as well, but he can’t exactly help that. When he’s not napping, Glas tends to practice something similar to T’ai Chi somewhere peaceful, which is really some of the only exercise he willingly chooses to partake in. It was something he had picked up when he was young to help relax and center himself when just regular naps didn’t work.

Oddly enough, his love for naps also given Glas an uncanny ability for climbing to higher places. Trees, cliffs, shacks; he’d find a way to get to a nice lofty place to catch some Zs. Of course, it also has helped him get into better positions to use his weapon, but that usually comes second.

Aura and Semblance: His Aura is a dull green in color, and tends to begin to sound like an idling engine the more his semblance begins to come into effect.

His Semblance is being a Kinetic Motor: He grows faster as he’s impacted by a physical force or his Aura takes damage. It also increases his reaction speed along with his faster movement, but ceases to work once it passes a certain threshold of his Aura’s limits (about 10%). He can maintain this form for about a minute straight, before he runs out of the kinetic energy he had absorbed and returns back to his normal speed. This however does not increase his strength at all, as even if each hit is faster, it is the same strength as if his Semblance wasn’t working at all. At full strength, his speed and reflexes are 75% faster than a regular Hunter/Huntress his age.

Combat Behavior: Glas vastly prefers to be up in an elevated position whenever possible when an actual battle starts. It allows him to utilize his weapon to its fullest extent while used as a gun, and also partly because he’d rather not bother with getting all up in someone’s face if he can help it. His stationary position however also leaves him pretty open to sneak attacks, and the Lackadaisy's power is offset by its slow fire rate. Big bullets, but slow shooting.

When distance becomes impossible though, he can rely on his Semblance to help him in hand-to-hand combat. The calming, relaxing exercise he partakes in to chill out becomes something similar to Wu-Style T’ai Chi Ch’uan once his speed and reflexes become augmented. Combined with the Lackadaisy’s more melee-focused form, it helps Glas stay on his feet in long range or close range combat. Unfortunately, his semblance also makes him move a bit too fast, and he runs the risk of tripping over something before his body is accustomed to the speed.

Due to his martial art being entirely self-taught and mainly used for mediation more than combat, Glas can also run into issues when going up against someone who’s well trained in actual martial arts or uses more than one fighting style. Anyone who knows how to fight well would be able to counter his amateur Ch’uan style, and he would admit that it’s also rather useless without using his Semblance to try and overwhelm his opponent.

WEAPON

Name: Lackadaisy

Primary Form: A pair of large metal tonfa which each have ends that act as gun barrels. Each ‘tonfa’ holds a single shot, and Glas can pull on triggers built into the handles to fire them while in this form.

Secondary Form: The two pieces combine to form a large caliber long rifle, capable of firing high-explosive rounds. The gun has massive recoil however, but Glas uses this to his advantage by letting the recoil help charge up his Semblance as it kicks back to him.

Tertiary Form: N/A

Dust Functions: While the Lackadaisy wasn’t designed to interact with Dust to an advanced degree, different Dust shells can affect what kind of explosion the shots become. Fire Dust creates a larger explosion, Ice Dust freezes everything in the blast radius, etc.

History: A gift from his parents once he found out his Semblance, the Lackadaisy was built out of several other “spare” weapons they had lying around the shop along with some supplies they “procured” from other sources. Glas isn’t too proud of the exact circumstances that caused his weapon to be created, but he still couldn’t exactly give up a gift. Also cleaning it is a nice, calming pastime.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 04:31:17 PM by Timeworker »
Characters: Glas Mossberg

Seig

• Been Around

• Personal Text
    I actually post now.
    • View Profile
Re: Glas Mossberg
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 08:01:27 PM »
Welcome to the site! First off I want to say that this a great first character. I see no problems the the backstory, the personality, the weapons, nothing but the semblance. I really enjoy a character with a solid basically bright backstory. There is nothing wrong with leading a near normal life in fiction.

Anyway. THe only real problem I see with your semblance is that for a first year it needs a limit. How fast can it make him go?
Mithra Ragvos The 4th Year Giantess of Beacon

Mira Ragvos 4th Year Weaponsmith

Smile Junky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 08:17:36 PM »
I was actually just thinking that I probably should have put a limit to his Semblance's speed. Should have gone with my instincts, I suppose.

Thank you for liking the rest of it, though! I've made changes to his Semblance section and hope it sorts everything else out!

Seig

• Been Around

• Personal Text
    I actually post now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 08:21:08 PM »
I believe you missed a faster in there bud. Other than that. This looks good to me. +1
Mithra Ragvos The 4th Year Giantess of Beacon

Mira Ragvos 4th Year Weaponsmith

jjb2158

• Personal Text
    The Destroyer of Dreams & Expectations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 04:53:00 PM »
As Seig said earlier, welcome to the RP board! I'll do your second review so we can get this character approved and have you RPing sooner rather than later. Just a few things to note:

Small detail here, but please put down what school he attends.

History:
Just one minor detail here also, but there's nothing here indicating as to why he would want to go to an Academy? It's not like it's required of every young person to do so what made him want to decide to go this route instead of finding something more laid back?

Personality:
This seems to be the one question I always ask everyone, but how is his intellect? Does he excel in school or struggle with it?

Semblance:
Another minor detail here, but how long can he keep his semblance activated at a time? Seeing that he's a first year, the duration should be on the lower end of things that way it gives him the ability to improve as he progresses through Beacon.

Combat Behavior:
One thing here: what are his weaknesses? Everything points to him being a well-rounded fighter, but every single fighter has at least 2-3 weaknesses. Please indicate what they are for Glas.

That should cover it for me.
First Year Beacon Student: Rackley Winchester - The Hawkeye Sniper currently Teamless

Second Year Beacon Student: Jett Davenport - The Playful Shadow Knight of Team MLDC (Melodic)

Third Year Beacon Student: Suntalia Lyn Ryker - The Voice of Thunder currently Teamless

Fourth Year Beacon Student: Savas Carnelian - The Quiet Berserker Leader of Team SARK (Stark)

Beacon Professor: Oberon Falcov - The Man With A Plan / Team Strategy Teacher of Beacon

Smile Junky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 05:54:09 AM »
Thanks for taking a second look at him! I believe I've made the necessary changes, and I look forward to RPing with you all soon!

jjb2158

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 10:51:12 AM »
Everything is looking good. Only one last concern and we're good to go:

In regards to his combat behavior: I see two main weaknesses, but both are tied to other aspects and not to Glas' own physical capabilities. The first is tied to the fact that his gun has a huge knock back with slow reload time and the second being that his semblance causes him to trip over himself at times. Both are good weaknesses, but they are weaknesses that are easily avoidable since he could just go without using both his weapon and semblance and be just fine. I would like to see at least one more weakness that is tied directly to Glas himself. Here's a couple examples of what this looks like:

1. My first year character, Rackley, is an expert sniper and is able to move quickly and stealthily around. However, he is below average when it comes to close quarter combat, not to mention what he excels with in speed, he lacks in strength.
2. My second year character, Jett, is extremely well-rounded with both close to mid-range fighting. However, he hasn't had any real formal training so his fighting style is very crude and about average, making him easy to take down by someone who's had a lot of formal fighting training.
3.My third year character, Suntalia, is extremely fast and well-versed in fighting from close range all the way to long range. However, what she has in attack, she lacks in defense and if she takes a few heavy hits, will get taken down.

See what I'm getting at? Each character has one weakness that is tied directly to them. Though many people might not like having a weakness like this, it's actually very helpful and makes for better character writing and character development. Try to make a weakness that is tied directly to your character and not only to his weapon or semblance.

Aside from that, everything looks good to me. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or concerns about what I said.
First Year Beacon Student: Rackley Winchester - The Hawkeye Sniper currently Teamless

Second Year Beacon Student: Jett Davenport - The Playful Shadow Knight of Team MLDC (Melodic)

Third Year Beacon Student: Suntalia Lyn Ryker - The Voice of Thunder currently Teamless

Fourth Year Beacon Student: Savas Carnelian - The Quiet Berserker Leader of Team SARK (Stark)

Beacon Professor: Oberon Falcov - The Man With A Plan / Team Strategy Teacher of Beacon

Smile Junky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 11:32:05 AM »
Yeah, I see what you mean! It makes total sense to me now, I suppose it’s a bit difficult to try and find more weaknesses for your own character, but you’re right.

I’ve gone and expanded his fighting style a bit, hopefully in a way that helps balance him out and makes it a bit more manageable. Thanks for your explanations!

jjb2158

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 12:05:58 PM »
Looks good to me!

Approved 2 of 2. Happy RPing!

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    Forgive me for what I must yabba dabba do
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 03:30:09 PM »
pre-edit: ShowHide
CHARACTER

Name: Glas Mossberg

Species and Gender: Human Male

Symbol: [spoiler]

Appearance:
Glas: ShowHide

Standing around 5’7”,Glas has dark hair and emerald eyes. Not that many people usually able to see them from how he usually dresses, though. Glas never goes anywhere without a thick, deep green armored hooded jacket that he wears year-round, no matter the weather. With the hood up (which it is most of the day) most people can only really make out his nose and mouth. Underneath the jacket isn’t nearly as eye-catching though. Usually a plain tee or shirt and a pair of cargo pants for his casual wear. Even in times where he is supposed to dress formally he usually forgoes any sort of overcoat, but at least unzips his usual coat to reveal the nice dress clothes underneath.

While his coat might make him seem a bit bigger than he actually is, Glas actually has a medium build that’s also obscured by his slouch as he stands and sits. This is of course when he’s not sleeping, which happens a lot. On desks, against trees, on benches; anywhere that he can find where the warm sun can help lure him into a restful slumber. He also sports a rather relaxed and unassuming countenance in his everyday life, and generally comes across as a lazy but relaxed sort of person.

History: Originally from Windpath in Mistral, Glas was born to a family of Huntsmen mechanics who made their living repairing the town’s vehicles, weapons and tools. Being Mistral however, meant that the family business wasn’t exactly always the most noble of professions when it came down to it. Many pieces had to be “acquired” from secondary sources and third parties in most cases when they were hard to come by. This unfortunately meant that sometimes someone’s weapon just so happened to be repaired with a few parts that also just happened to be missing from a nearby shop or home. There was never enough evidence to fully implicate the Mossbergs of any major wrongdoings however, and their quality of work still managed to keep customers coming to their store.

Glas however, didn’t want anything to really do with the business. Ever since he was a small child he was always more happy to take naps than learn how to fix an engine. Happier to lounge in a tree than help fix jammed weapons. This worried his parents slightly, because someone was going to have to continue the family business, and he was an only child. As time went on however, they soon just became adjusted to it and accepted their son for what he was. As he got older, Glas couldn’t say the same about his parents choice of work. It kept them fed and housed sure, but even though he lived in Mistral surrounded by thieves and cutthroats he still wanted to live a more straight and narrow life. It didn’t help that his laidback nature dissuaded him from becoming just another pickpocket or hired thug as well.

Of course, this didn’t stop all the other pickpockets and hired thugs from trying to send a message to the Mossbergs for picking up their work supplies from less than legal sources. Deciding that even though their beef was with the parents, putting two hard working mechanics out of commission wouldn’t help anything in the long run. The obvious solution was to instead have a little “talk” with their son when he was on one of his various naps around town. Just to send a message, nothing more.

Their “harmless talk” soon had the unintended side-effect of awakening Glas’ Semblance however. The one thing that could finally light a fire underneath the nap-happy boy… Except it didn’t. Despite finding out his own powers and how to use them, Glas tried to return back to to his normal life of napping. It turned out that it wasn’t exactly as simple as he wished. The time soon came that he needed to pick an academy to further his Huntsman training and prepare for his future. Mistral had become much too exciting for him though, and he chose to have himself transferred to Beacon for a new (and hopefully quieter) start on life. Seeing the animosity that his parents business had sown among his hometown had spurred on something that he didn't normally feel: passion. A passion to have the Mossberg name not just be associated with shady business practices. Not to mention being in a city with much less moral ambiguity going on would be a nice chance of pace.

Personality: Glas is very laidback and easygoing, to a point where it seems like he would be sleeping on his feet if his body allowed him. Because of this, he might come across as unmotivated for a Huntsmen-in-training, but deep down inside is a strong sense of justice. It does also carry over to his studies, where he tends to often sleep through most lessons that don't immediately grab his interest. Luckily he does have a great interest in Anti-Grimm lessons, so he can rely on that to help keep his grades passable. He however finds it hard to begin trusting others though, mostly because of growing up with his parents and their disreputable business practices. But when you have his trust, it’s usually there to stay.

Of course, his tendency to sit back and relax might also rub some of more hard-working sensibilities the wrong way. Glas doesn’t mean anything by it however, it’s simply how he lives his life. Granted, it also has to do slightly with how his Semblance affects him as well, but he can’t exactly help that. When he’s not napping, Glas tends to practice something similar to T’ai Chi somewhere peaceful, which is really some of the only exercise he willingly chooses to partake in. It was something he had picked up when he was young to help relax and center himself when just regular naps didn’t work.

Oddly enough, his love for naps also given Glas an uncanny ability for climbing to higher places. Trees, cliffs, shacks; he’d find a way to get to a nice lofty place to catch some Zs. Of course, it also has helped him get into better positions to use his weapon, but that usually comes second.

Aura and Semblance: His Aura is a dull green in color, and tends to begin to sound like an idling engine the more his semblance begins to come into effect.

His Semblance is being a Kinetic Motor: He grows faster as he’s impacted by a physical force or his Aura takes damage. It also increases his reaction speed along with his faster movement, but ceases to work once it passes a certain threshold of his Aura’s limits (about 10%). He can maintain this form for about a minute straight, before he runs out of the kinetic energy he had absorbed and returns back to his normal speed. This however does not increase his strength at all, as even if each hit is faster, it is the same strength as if his Semblance wasn’t working at all. At full strength, his speed and reflexes are 75% faster than a regular Hunter/Huntress his age.

Combat Behavior: Glas vastly prefers to be up in an elevated position whenever possible when an actual battle starts. It allows him to utilize his weapon to its fullest extent while used as a gun, and also partly because he’d rather not bother with getting all up in someone’s face if he can help it. His stationary position however also leaves him pretty open to sneak attacks, and the Lackadaisy's power is offset by its slow fire rate. Big bullets, but slow shooting.

When distance becomes impossible though, he can rely on his Semblance to help him in hand-to-hand combat. The calming, relaxing exercise he partakes in to chill out becomes something similar to Wu-Style T’ai Chi Ch’uan once his speed and reflexes become augmented. Combined with the Lackadaisy’s more melee-focused form, it helps Glas stay on his feet in long range or close range combat. Unfortunately, his semblance also makes him move a bit too fast, and he runs the risk of tripping over something before his body is accustomed to the speed.

Due to his martial art being entirely self-taught and mainly used for mediation more than combat, Glas can also run into issues when going up against someone who’s well trained in actual martial arts or uses more than one fighting style. Anyone who knows how to fight well would be able to counter his amateur Ch’uan style, and he would admit that it’s also rather useless without using his Semblance to try and overwhelm his opponent.

WEAPON

Name: Lackadaisy

Primary Form: A pair of large metal tonfa which each have ends that act as gun barrels. Each ‘tonfa’ holds a single shot, and Glas can pull on triggers built into the handles to fire them while in this form.

Secondary Form: The two pieces combine to form a large caliber long rifle, capable of firing high-explosive rounds. The gun has massive recoil however, but Glas uses this to his advantage by letting the recoil help charge up his Semblance as it kicks back to him.

Tertiary Form: N/A

Dust Functions: While the Lackadaisy wasn’t designed to interact with Dust to an advanced degree, different Dust shells can affect what kind of explosion the shots become. Fire Dust creates a larger explosion, Ice Dust freezes everything in the blast radius, etc.

History: A gift from his parents once he found out his Semblance, the Lackadaisy was built out of several other “spare” weapons they had lying around the shop along with some supplies they “procured” from other sources. Glas isn’t too proud of the exact circumstances that caused his weapon to be created, but he still couldn’t exactly give up a gift. Also cleaning it is a nice, calming pastime.
[/spoiler]
Atlas: ShowHide
Mercenary: Kol Augur ~ The Judicator of Atlas
Speaking: #5C5054 Thinking: #EAC117

Mistral: ShowHide
Huntress-in-Training: Aca Roth ~ Member of Team RWND
Speaking: #E05260 Thinking: #EA857F
Huntress-in-Training: Brook Pallas ~ Member of Team CNBR
Speaking: #4863A0 Thinking: #98AFC7
Council Member: Phaedo Katsaros ~ Figurehead for Faunus/Human relations
Speaking: #667C26 Thinking: #B6CC76

Vacuo: ShowHide
40th Vytal Tournament Champion: Zabar Aga ~ Member of Team DAWN
Speaking: #CD7F32 Thinking: #EE9A4D

Vale: ShowHide
Huntress: Malina Nahualli-Roth ~ Leader of Team MCCA
Speaking: #993A64 Thinking: #8B0C44
Beacon Professor: Titania Printemps ~ Assistant Headmistress of Beacon Academy
Speaking: #4AA02C Thinking: #E55B3C
Drop-out: Durian Ghede ~ Former leader of team DFDL
Speaking: #E1BD27 Thinking: #AF8B00

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    Forgive me for what I must yabba dabba do
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 03:04:14 PM »
Moving back to approved since there hasn't been any changes.
Atlas: ShowHide
Mercenary: Kol Augur ~ The Judicator of Atlas
Speaking: #5C5054 Thinking: #EAC117

Mistral: ShowHide
Huntress-in-Training: Aca Roth ~ Member of Team RWND
Speaking: #E05260 Thinking: #EA857F
Huntress-in-Training: Brook Pallas ~ Member of Team CNBR
Speaking: #4863A0 Thinking: #98AFC7
Council Member: Phaedo Katsaros ~ Figurehead for Faunus/Human relations
Speaking: #667C26 Thinking: #B6CC76

Vacuo: ShowHide
40th Vytal Tournament Champion: Zabar Aga ~ Member of Team DAWN