Author Topic: Wounded Warriors [Invite only]  (Read 4896 times)

Kiith

• Personal Text
    I don't know what I'm doing
    • View Profile
Wounded Warriors [Invite only]
« on: December 14, 2016, 05:47:50 PM »
A quiet squeaking noise filled the room as the matress gave in a little in response to the balance of weight shifting. Xanh was careful not to hit her leg on the bedstead or the ground as she had sat herself upright first and then turned around, her feet now hanging off the side of the bed. For just a fraction of a second, the instinctive thought of simply hopping off the edge and standing up raced through her mind. But she had to refrain from doing so, for otherwise she would probably just cry out in pain, stumble and then end up lying on the floor like an idiot. One time was enough - she did not feel the need to relive that unique experience from the first day.

No, instead Xanh just looked towards the other end of the room, where through the windows she could see the wind gently swaying the branches of a nearby tree, always back and forth. She sure would have liked to take a little trip outside now. But she was not exactly supposed to just come and go whenever it pleased her. And even if, with the crutches she had to use to walk getting around was more tedious and exhausting than it could ever be enjoyable. If nothing else, the walks she had to do as part of her therapy were enough proof for that.

As her gaze wandered away from the window it came to rest on the second bed that filled the room, where another girl lay, currently fast asleep as it seemed. When they were done first taking in Xanh and the other injured students the medical staff had moved them all into different rooms, and for a little while she had been alone with her thoughts. Soon though, that other girl - some kind of faunus apparently - had been transfered here and for the last few days had shared the room with her. Not that that had changed anything about being alone with one's thoughts. They had not really talked or interacted with each other yet, for Xanh had mostly kept to herself and her problems, and the girl did seem to handle it similarly. Xanh did not know who she was - heck, she did not even know her name, and the one time she brought herself to ask what was up the nurse simply told her that "something went wrong on a mission". But for all that was worth the girl at least did not bother her, which already made for quite an alright roommate, and deserved the favour to be returned.

With a sigh Xanh stretched a little, and then slid across the bed to get in reach of the side table that contained a few of her things. She went ahead to grab the scroll lying ontop of it, Quickly checking the time. It was not even far into the afternoon yet, but it felt like so many more hours had passed, with the day creeping along like this.

Slowly, she leant back again, her feet still hanging off the bed, but her head now resting on the matress, her eyes somewhat absentmindedly staring at the ceiling. There surely was much time to think about things here. More than Xanh would have liked, perhaps.

Zwei Not

• "Better than Krillin"

• Personal Text
    The man your man could post like
    • View Profile
Re: Wounded Warriors [Invite only]
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 07:02:15 PM »
The past two weeks had been agonizing, to say the least. Juno and Caja failed. That much was made clear by the fact that the police department had a pair of corpses instead of useful information. Caja was injured. While she was expected to make a full recovery, it would take time. Of course, he was allowed to visit her. He was permitted to see her every two days for two hours. Understandable, as this was a medical facility, and they couldn't afford for him to get in their way, but leaving was always painful. She was safe, but it was his fault that she was laid up in recovery. If only he was stronger...

Juno was silent as he pushed the door open, a frown playing at his lips as he found the girl asleep. They had moved her, too. Made her share a room with someone from the Taijitu incident. Of course, he didn't mind. Caja could use someone to talk to.

It took him a while to recognize who her roommate was, but by then, he had already sat down, laying his hand atop Caja's.

"Hello, Xanh." he greeted, his voice low and quiet as to avoid waking up his teammate.
Juno Varia: The Street Punk

Juno Vert: 1st year student of Beacon, Armored leader of Team VCVS

Phi: #007ba7

Nebu Nekhbet: DUAT unit 01: Desegnation RA

Nebu/Rho: #FFD700

Austin Vartra: TBA

Kiith

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 09:18:01 AM »
"Hey", Xanh dryly replied as she faintly recognised someone calling out her name, more instinctively than in an active effort to greet the visitor. At this point she had not even fully processed that someone had dropped by, and just kind of guessed it by the sounds of the door opening and a chair being moved around quietly. Not that she cared very much.

Things like that happened from time to time. At some point every morning somebody came in to clean the table and swiftly wipe the floor, not really paying attention to the occupants of the room. Once or twice a day one of the nurses usually dropped by to check on the two girls and, occasionally, reminded Xanh to not miss her next therapy session. Sometimes that annoyed her a little, but by now she had figured out how to more or less ignore her. One afternoon a few days ago her brother had come by to pay her a visit without announcing himself beforehand. But she had not known what to answer to his questions about her well being and he had not wanted to poke further, so they both just...sat there for about an hour. With him looking at Xanh, and her staring past him out the window. So for all she knew or cared the person could be anyone doing anything. And, somehow, counting the little irregularities in the room's ceiling was a little more compelling than bothering with that new entry.

At least for a little while.

It took a bit - a minute, maybe two - for Xanh to consciously make any connections. But eventually, while still staring at the ceiling a faint frown found its way on her face. Wait, what was that? Somebody came in and sat down, then called out her name... As if the information had finally made its way through the mist of thoughts her mind was surrounded by, the voice resounded in her head once more, clearly addressing her in a short greeting. But it didn't sound like anyone the girl would have expected to just quickly drop into the room or come by for a visit. And yet she could not shake the feeling that she very well knew, just maybe not in quite this tone.

Slowly, Xanh leaned forward a little, using her arms as supports to get herself into a slightly more upright position. From there it did not take much time looking around to spot the culprit, right next to the other patient's bed. Of all the people she could have imagined to drop in here for whatever reason, he was the last one she expected.

"Wait...you?", was the first thing that came across her lips. She did not sound angry, or irritated, or in fact very much touched in general by no other than Juno being the person to come here, just...slightly surprised by this unexpected turn of events. "What are you doing here...?", Xanh added, moments later, even though it did not take great observational skills to figure out that he was here for the other girl., and not her at all.

Zwei Not

• "Better than Krillin"

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 05:40:11 PM »
A small frown crossed his lips as Xanh gave her seemingly disinterested reply. Yeah, he understood that she didn't like him very much, a feeling that was somewhat mutual given their last encounter. But at the very least, she could turn to face him. Show a little decency before going into a curse laden rant.

However, her reaction when she did face him seemed to be more surprise than outright distaste. Unexpected, yes, but not unwelcomed by the green haired student. Gently running his thumb across the top of Caja's hand, Juno spoke up, studying the other patient.

"I'm visiting my girlfriend. Things went south on a mission. She got hurt..." he started, just noticing the other girl's wounded leg. "I guess the same could be said for you?"

Kiith

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 08:05:29 AM »
"Your girlfriend, hm...?", Xanh reiterated quietly, and for a moment her eyes shifted from Juno over to the bed where the other girl still lay, undisturbed by the visitor or the conservation which seemed to develop. Thoughtfully looking at what she could see of the girl's face from over here she could not help but think about what weird coincidence this was. Sure, there were probably always things going wrong on the endeavours the students were sent on as part of their training, and the medical facility of the academy itself were small enough that it seemed inevatble for two patients meeting to have at least some connection between each other. But still, of all the people Xanh could end up sharing a room with it was the girlfriend of him?

"I see...", she eventually gave as a reply, her attention still more focused on the bed than on who was sitting besides it. Thinking about it sparked a little more interest in that other person than she had portrayed in the prior days. With all the incidents besetting the city lately, did she end up here because of one of those, or was it something different entirely? Had she been out on her own, or was Juno with her, going by the way he sounded while talking about it? If so, then what the hell had to happen for someone who seemed like such a tough not to crack - at least from what she knew - to not be able to step up and prevent a companion taking hits that are so bad she ended up in the infirmary for multiple days?

Those were question that came to her mind, but for which Xanh was not able to find answers on her own before being drawn back into the here and now by Juno's casual inquiry. Abruptly she looked down to check on her extensibely bandaged leg as if she had to see for herself that it was still there, then raised her head to face Vert again. "Oh...that...", she began hesitantly, followed by a shrug. "Yeah, that's a thing. It...ugh...kind of went all the way south, came around until it was back in the high north again, and...then went south some more". With a sigh she put her hands behind her back. Yeah, that surely was a way to describe what happened. Not a very explanatory one, or one that did justice to everything and everyone she fucked up. But certainly a way to do it.

Zwei Not

• "Better than Krillin"

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 02:45:54 PM »
A small grimace crept across Juno's face as Xanh explained that one of her missions went straight to hell as well. He knew she was a good fighter, whatever had put her and several others out of commission had to have been devastating. Then again... he heard something about an Emperor Taijitu breaching Vale. Maybe she was involved?

"Yeah, I can relate. Shit's been crazy lately." he replied, turning his attention back to the sleeping girl. "White Fang's been getting more brazen. I was recently on an assignment to protect a deserter... You can guess how well that turned out." Juno paused, shifting his hand to Caja's stomach. He could feel the scar, and while he was glad she is alive, it was still unsettling, having watched it happen. Watching Ria get shot, seeing Caja get run through... It was horrifying, actually.

"At the very least, we're all alive. This is a dangerous path we have chosen, isn't it."
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 04:44:19 PM by Rush »

Kiith

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 11:28:41 AM »
Xanh's view wandered back towards the window and up at the cloud speckled sky as Juno went on talking. He said they were all alive at least. But was it not the glaringly obvious result of the recent events that they were in fact not? The way he had phrased it it did not sound very likely that the person he and his companion were to protect actually had made it. And how many inhabitants of that quartier must have been killed in the wake of that giant Grimm going on a rampage after wiping the floor with a full blown huntsman and four students of varying expertise? Not as if she would know - during her stay at the recovery ward Xanh had felt the obligation to catch up on the latest happenings, but simply could not get herself to actually watch or listen to or read any news stories whenever she tried. For while she knew the consequences of her fuckups were out there either way she could not bear having them placed right infront of her, having to actively deal with it. As if not knowing how bad things turned out exactly mad the outcome just a little less bad.
But of course, it did not. In the end it was just an instinctive measure to keep a little of the shame at bay that often came with realisation.

"I know, right?", she eventually responded. "I mean, let's be honest. It's not like it's a secret that being a huntsman is dangerous business. But looking at what happened in the last few days... shit's getting real so quickly. And way sooner than I expected". Moving her left hand forward again only to place it on her chin Xanh went back into thoughts for a moment. "Getting wrapped up in stuff like this when you're a full blown badass with all the knowledge and experience you could ever need is one thing. But did you expect this to happen when you were still in school, not even far down it but at pretty much the beginning of your training? Because I don't think I did. And I'm not sure what to take from that now".

Zwei Not

• "Better than Krillin"

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 01:31:10 AM »
Juno listened intently as Xanh spoke, pausing to blow a lock of hair out of his face. She was right, though. They weren't prepared, despite being students of the most prestigious academy for their craft. The threats they faced were more on par with a full grown team of hunters, not a ragtag bunch of students. They were first years, just making their foray into the dangerous, yet honorable career of the hunt. And so far?

One of them had been stabbed, one let their informant take a bulletin to the head, and one had her leg shattered by a Grimm found in the heart of the wilds. Who knew what their failures cost? Law enforcement could have used the information Ria held. Something could have been done to negate casualties, people could have survived... hell, the Fang could have been shut down entirely. But no, one bad call and an asset was left as a bleeding corpse slumped against a car.

To be honest, Juno was more afraid than anything else. He thought that his fuckup was bad, unnecessarily costing the lives of two faunus and possibly permanently damaging his girlfriend's spine. But Xanh... She was there when the Taijitu breached. Whether she knew about the death toll before the beast was slain or not, she must have had some idea what failure had cost. Both of them were underprepared, and this was a definite wake-up call. The Fang had already shown that they didn't care if their opposition was ready for them. They made their move, and Vale felt it full force.

Juno took a moment to collect his thoughts, inhaling deeply before speaking. "No, no I didn't. I expected us to be able to learn without our careers being stained by a misstep, or shattered by a threat thrust upon us. It's terrifying. We aren't ready to fight these people, but we have to hold the line anyway." he replied, leaning back as he shifted his hand back to Caja's own, gently rubbing her knuckles as he thought.

arcus_gray

• Personal Text
    There's no accounting for dumbass
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 03:10:23 PM »
A soft creak was heard as Gray quietly opened the door to the hospital room that his teammate was in and stepped in. He was wearing his Beacon uniform and had his freshly washed and brushed for once hair tied back while still covering his left eye. For Gray this was as formal as things got. Instead of speaking with any of the occupants of the room he slowly moved over to a seat besides Xanh's bed and sat down with a dull thump.

Gray had been in the hospital for a couple of days following the bombing of Vale and once he had been released he had been coming in every day to see Xanh. Every time he had spoken little and left when he needed to in order to arrive at class on time.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 03:28:28 PM by arcus_gray »
1st year reckless idiot of team LGGR- Gray Saggio- "oh screw it. I'll just hit it till it dies!" 660066

psychotic mercenary- Alizarin rust "make me your enemy and they won't be able to identify your corpse"1C6BA0[/url]

lone wolf huntsman. ex member of team SAND cerulean steel "You are welcome to accompany me but if something goes wrong I'll deal with it myself." 2B3B44

1st year glass canon of team TBD Fallow Russet  "I may have been forced into this but that doesn't mean i don't like it." 50c878

2nd year drunken gearhead(teamless) Revya Vermillion "If you were to change to a lighter metal and add gears here, here and here you could greatly- I've entirely lost you haven't I?" Orange

1st year nimble tank of team CRSA Sandy Smoke "I've been told I'm a right bastard to fight against. Care to try ya luck?"355e3b[/color]

Guardian huntsman and drummer for Grimm Omen Ceramite Gunmetal "A barfight? alright then. SHOWTIME!" 800020 WIP[/u]

White Fang power couple. Ignis and Glacies. [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwpudWRx7eg] Partners in crime

Kiith

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 07:42:12 AM »
Xanh frowned a little at the ground as Juno presented his thoughts on the situation. Yes, from one day to the next a whole lot of things had been shattered, indeed. Some expectations of what this field of work would hold for them. A lot of buldings, that was for sure. Some body parts as well...

"But there's supposed way more experienced people who are meant to deal with a mess of these proportions. And if it's us getting in the line of fire like, then what the fuck are they doing?" With a sigh she moved the hand on her chin up to her forehead to rub across her eyebrows. Sure, in the end she knew that at this point, the child had already fallen into the well. The damage had already been done and it was way more important - and perhaps healthier for one's psyche - to focus on the 'what now' than on what has already happened. But, as often is the case, that was easier said than done.

"Look, I", she began once more, looking up from the ground right infront of her bed, "I get where you're coming from. This mess is ours now just as much as anyone elses, so there's no sense in arguing about how shouldn't be. But it's just...it's bullshit. And I don't know how to deal wi-"

The squaky sound of the door opening caused Xanh to cut short in her statement, and as her head zipped around to get a look on who had just entered the room she was kind of happy that she did. It was already bad enough how she basically ended up revealing these issues to someone like Juno. She did not want to end up loading this stuff onto Gray's shoulders, who surely already had enough problems of his own do deal with. In order to finish her statement she simply uttered a: "Well, you know", in the direction of the green haired figure sitting next to the other bed before adressing her teammate, who had already nonchalantly made himself comfortable on a chair.

"Hey Gray, you dropping by? Is it that time of day already?", Xanh greeted him, trying to sound a little more upbeat than she was, but just ending up almost seeming like she was not all too pleased by a friend showing up.

Zwei Not

• "Better than Krillin"

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 08:33:24 PM »
By all respects, Juno had to agree. It really was bullshit, that the individuals that had sworn to protect the sanctity and way of life of the kingdoms had failed, time and time again. If they couldn't succeed in preventing Grimm and terrorist attacks within the walls, what hope did the students have? Fighting these forces directly ended disastrously, as evidenced by the two infirmary patients in the room. Just as he opened his mouth, however, they were greeted by a young man.

Gray Saggio, one of the fighters injured by Nathan in the tournament. His appearance was surprising at first, but his interaction with Xanh made their camaraderie more apparent. Teammates, maybe?

Not one to be rude, Juno turned to acknowledge the other student, giving a knowing nod and gesturing to a chair. "Nice of you to drop by." he stated, his tone shifting from his far more somber one to something more kind and convincingly pleased. "Can I assume that you two know each other?"

arcus_gray

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 09:13:43 PM »
At Xanh's comment he gave a faint smile and a nod before the green haired guy across the room spoke to him. He once again replied with a nod. "we're teammates. Isn't that why you're here?" He said while pointing to the other patient in the ward.
1st year reckless idiot of team LGGR- Gray Saggio- "oh screw it. I'll just hit it till it dies!" 660066

psychotic mercenary- Alizarin rust "make me your enemy and they won't be able to identify your corpse"1C6BA0[/url]

lone wolf huntsman. ex member of team SAND cerulean steel "You are welcome to accompany me but if something goes wrong I'll deal with it myself." 2B3B44

1st year glass canon of team TBD Fallow Russet  "I may have been forced into this but that doesn't mean i don't like it." 50c878

2nd year drunken gearhead(teamless) Revya Vermillion "If you were to change to a lighter metal and add gears here, here and here you could greatly- I've entirely lost you haven't I?" Orange

1st year nimble tank of team CRSA Sandy Smoke "I've been told I'm a right bastard to fight against. Care to try ya luck?"355e3b[/color]

Guardian huntsman and drummer for Grimm Omen Ceramite Gunmetal "A barfight? alright then. SHOWTIME!" 800020 WIP[/u]

White Fang power couple. Ignis and Glacies. [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwpudWRx7eg] Partners in crime

Kiith

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 04:53:29 PM »
"Yeah, teammates", Xanh reiterated affirmatively, sliding around on her bed a little to get into a halfway comfortable position that also allowed her to look at the two visitors. "I dropped by a few times when he was around here playing sick. So I guess he feels the need to return the favour! Right, Gray?" A somewhat forced laugh quickly followed up that slightly awkward attempt to lighten the the mood a little. But quickly another moment of silence ensued.

"Yeah, err, right...", the girl finally tried to pick up the conversation again after that short pause that might as well have lasted for months, switching her focus from Gray to Juno and back. "Oh", Xanh proclaimed finally, picking up on a thought. "Gray, that's Juno. You know, the Juno guy that I was talking about for a while. The guy that, err, that I was fighting in the tournament. The guy that...t-that I was supossed to smack in the face aaaaand then that didn't happen aaaaand he fucked me over instead and I got really mad about it -legitimately!- and...y-you know, that guy. That Juno. T-that's him". Yeah, the longer Xanh talked the more apparent it came to Xanh that towards Gray she did not have to drop any more than the name Juno. After her fight with Vert she went on so many angry, highly vocal rants about him afterall that all of her teammates probably had a very vivid image of that person. So there was no need to go on another tirade right infront of that guy. At least not today, when she was not at all in a mood to argue.

"But anyway. You guys doing alright?", Xanh adressed Gray in a question about her team. "I mean, Viridian is probably enough to keep everyone from getting complacent, but I hope you're not letting things slide...".

Zwei Not

• "Better than Krillin"

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 05:55:56 PM »
At first, Juno was somewhat amused by Xanh's attempt at introduction, simply smiling and waving to the faunus. But then Xanh kept going... and going... and going. And giving quite a bit of insight into how she acted after their match. Of course, she had a right to be upset, but her outbursts had been really, really annoying. Nevertheless, Juno maintained an air of civility, refusing to speak up in response to the girl's introduction.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Gray." he replied when given a chance to talk, extending his free hand and brushing the thumb of his occupied left atop Caja's knuckles before adding, "And you were right, I'm not here for Xanh. This was just a... coincidence."
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 06:46:38 AM by Rush »

arcus_gray

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 03:03:40 AM »
Gray couldn't help but laugh at Xanh's introduction of Juno. "Yeah. I remember. Between him and Nathan we were pretty pissed for a long time. The rest of us are fine as far as I can tell but damn. It's been a hell of a month hasn't it?" Gray's eyes moved up to Juno when he spoke and gave another nod to him.