Author Topic: Argus Sidabras  (Read 3897 times)

Veritas

• Been Around

• Personal Text
    Knowledge is power.
    • View Profile
Argus Sidabras
« on: October 18, 2016, 09:26:39 PM »
CHARACTER

Name: Argus Sidabras

Species and Gender: Human Male

Symbol: Silver Eye of Horus surrounded by a border of glyphs (http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mJ2N1fAhivdScbRAXqVoC9g.jpg); since Egypt doesn't exist in this universe, we'll just say they mean "We see not with our eyes, but through them."

Appearance: Bald with silvery eyes (not like Ruby's; his actually look metallic silver, and I'll explain why). 5'10" and stocky/broad; weighs 175 lbs. His combat attire consists of light boiled-leather armor with steel greaves and vambraces under a hooded black cloak with his symbol on the back, in addition to a large holster on his back for holding Onlooker and its various Dust cartridges and ammo clips. Over his eyes he wears a mask similar to those of White Fang grunts, but with smooth edges and no eye-holes; instead, two Eyes of Horus (like his amulet) are engraved where the eye-holes would normally be. Out of combat, he wears simple cotton shirts and belted slacks with his cloak and holster. His skin is leathery and tanned, though his face is mostly intact compared to the network of small and medium-sized scars that runs across most of the rest of his body. The one larger scar he has, which is actually a set of four scars, is from being picked up in a Nevermore's talons, which gave him three slashes across his back and one across his chest when he broke free. His voice is a gravelly tenor from a lifetime of battlecries and calling combo attacks from his team. Argus' eyes are set under heavy brows, and his natural expression has become a stony, almost-scowling expression that people say he ought to lighten up with, but which comes in handy for intimidating Grimm (insofar as Grimm can be intimidated).

History: Argus was born blind to two Hunter parents in Mistral. He grew up relatively normally, if a bit isolated due to his blindness, and was raised by his parents to be kind to others. However, as he began attending school, other children made fun of his blindness, and some took advantage of it to hurt him. His parents, seeing this, taught him to defend himself starting at the age of eight, although he was always at a disadvantage due to his blindness. During a particularly cruel beating by four other boys, Argus' activated his Semblance, creating several duplicates of himself through which he could see. The bullies, believing they were real, backed off, and Argus' parents taught him to use his Semblance as an aid in combat. He attended combat school, and eventually graduated from Haven Academy as a Huntsman with his weapon, Onlooker. He has survived as long as he has through careful planning of each mission, and creative innovation with his Semblance when things inevitably go wrong, as well as help from his team, Team Argent (ARGT), of which he was the leader, along with his lifelong friends Rusty, Gallia, and Tantalus. Team ARGT helped defend Mistral from the Grimm invasion several years ago, and has always been a supporter of Faunus rights, though he thinks the White Fang are only worsening the situation, and has undertaken missions against them in the past.

Personality: Argus never had much of a social life as a child, and in adulthood he remains stoic. That isn't to say he lacks a sense of humor; his reactions to humor, however, are generally damped compared to those of others. As a Hunter, he maintains professionalism whenever he can, though he won't hesitate to use crude language when necessary. In situations of extreme stress, Argus' temper becomes very short, and he remains tense and curt while he attempts to resolve the situation. His philosophy is that, no matter what, grief and shock can wait until he's out of danger, and this has resulted in his being a very disciplined warrior and clear-headed leader on the battlefield. Having lived his entire life seeing himself and his environment in third-person (usually from above, for a clearer view), Argus developed an excellent mind for strategy and tactics during his time at Haven, which made him the best candidate for leadership of his team. A favored saying of his to people who irritate him is "I don't need working eyes to smell your bullshit."

Aura and Semblance: His Aura is the same silver as his eyes, and his semblance is called Proxy Vision. It allows him to create illusory duplicates of any animal, including Grimm and humans, of roughly human size or smaller, and allows him to see and hear through them. In combat, Argus typically deploys three to four of these in his own image (which is the easiest version for him to create) to distract and confuse enemies; he has, however, been able to manifest up to ten at a time thus far, though he can only do so for a few minutes in combat, and unexpected distractions disrupt at least two of the illusions until Argus regains focus. Argus' Semblance additionally enables him to process sight and sound from multiple different sources at once, so he can utilize sensory input from every illusion simultaneously. The maximum range at which illusions are stable (not flickering or warping) is about half a mile from Argus, while a clearly unstable and unrealistic-looking illusion can exist out to around a mile from him without affecting how many he can make.

Combat Behavior: Strengths: Given that semblances are physically taxing, and Argus has had to use his semblance for everyday life for most of his life (not to mention the fact that he's a hunter with a large weapon), I'd say he's very, very strong for his age, especially in terms of endurance, and his years of experience combine with that to make him a deadly foe to just about anyone. Argus' swing speed with Onlooker is relatively slow, as you would expect for a seven-foot-long sword, but while he is maintaining fewer than five proxies, he learned to use his Aura to enhance his strength and speed (though his agility still can't match that of younger hunters), allowing him to use Onlooker more like a one-handed broadsword rather than a greatsword. Argus' tactics against Grimm consist of wearing the creature down with repeated strikes from his team under cover of his illusions; against people, he prefers to use fear, confusing them with multiple illusions of himself in different places before actually striking, at which point all of his illusion strike with him, and he repeats the process until he has won.  Weaknesses: Despite his prowess in combat, Argus remains utterly blind, and can only see via his proxies, so disabling them means he's defenseless. In addition, his vision of the battlefield can lead to a bad habit of barking orders to try and compensate for changes in the situation as they occur, which tends not to end well. He has had to learn to place trust in his team as they place it in him, and to allow them to use their own judgment in dangerous situations rather than trying to micromanage them.

WEAPON

Name: Onlooker

Primary Form: Seven-foot-long sword; the blade is a tungsten-osmium alloy, which makes it extremely hard-hitting and difficult to destroy, but also limits its swing speed. Transformation: the top barrel of the gun unfolds out to support the blade, which extends from the gun's main body.

Secondary Form: 18mm cannon, 60 rounds per minute. Onlooker fires extremely high-caliber rounds (more like shells, given the barrel width), which Argus typically carries in clips of both armor-piercing and high-impact varieties, and loads what he needs as combat begins. Each clip carries twenty rounds, and Onlooker can hold up to two clips at once (one active and one backup), ejecting depleted clips automatically.

Appearance: http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/vicdragon7/Xeros_weapon_zpsjkxsyf24.jpg

Dust Functions: Fires dust cartridges can heat the blade's edge to 600 degrees Fahrenheit for about 5 minutes at a time, or be ejected from the gun as grenades. Onlooker can be loaded with up to 10 of these at once. The image shows the blade being heated; normally, the blade would look silver, which is Argus's thematic color.

History: Argus forged Onlooker himself while in combat school, and his Dust-expert friend and team member Rusty makes Dust cartridges for him and the rest of Team ARGT.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 09:08:36 PM by Mortos »

NotSurprised

• Personal Text
    I never post on time, don't ask why.
    • View Profile
Re: Argus Sidabras
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 03:25:43 AM »
Sorry for taking a while to get to this profile. I'll be conducting round one of reviews, so lets begin shall we?

Appearance: It's a good basis, but I'd like to see more, such as skin color and facial features. Does he have scars? Go deeper into his clothing. Regular, loose-fitting clothes is very broad, unless it's intended to be that broad. Even then, I'd suggest adding examples you wouldn't have to go too detailed into.

History: I don't really see any issues, but more details would be nice. Maybe talk about his old team.

Personality: Maybe add a bit about his intelligence onto here, as a nice addition to his personality.

Combat Behavior: What you have down is nice, but you're going to need more strengths and weaknesses to have an idea of what Argus can do. Is he tricky? Is he fast? Swinging that sword is pretty slow, add that fact here considering it's a weakness.

Now that's done, as a more general preference, please do avoid adding irrelevant comments to the profile.
White Fang: ShowHide

White Fang 2nd Lieutenant: Artist - "Funny. When blood is spilled, it looks the same doesn't it?"

White Fang Captain: Blacksmith - "To create, is to destroy. It's that simple."

Vale: ShowHide
First Year, Team ALIA: Iron Silvarious - "You know nothing? Then get out of my way."

F̷̢͕͍̦̥̯̻̪̙ị̯̲̺̱r͏̻͉s̗t̛̻̼̣̞͔̤ ̸͘҉̲̠̖̭͕Y͓̣̣̲e̬͖̮̠͎̙̗͚a͙r̴̝͉̫͜,̺̣̕ ͔͎̰̯͓Ṭ̠̥͢͠ͅe̫͖̲̹̻̙͕͔͢a̺̫̼̝͔̕͠ḿ͚͚̙̪̻̗͚̝ͅ ̧͉̻͖̗̮̼͈͎̀͝Z͕͍̫C̵͈͈̖̯͎̖F̧̘̭͈͚̜R͈͚͖̣̝͔̰̘͈:͎̫̟̩̬̫̹ ̷̠̭͈̘͖͚F̠̟͈̜͍̫̠e͖͓͉͍͞n̵̰̗̘͈̹͞i̙̭̱̻x̵̦͠ ̷̙͈͈̠͎͉̮̺C̵͇̪̠e͕̟̟̙̻r̰̮̟͓̜̪̩u̯̞͉̥ͅl̺̪̝̣͢ę̥̲̹̹̜̼̳̘a͈̭͎͘͝ǹ̸̻͉̳͍͉̘̝ ̴̝̣̼͇̀̕ͅ-̡̼͚̪̱̻̪̙̠ ̖̬̠̠̪͎́"̸̜̙̣̠͚̻̲Ṣ̢̰͎̟͖̥̤ͅt̛̻̘̯̝͇ͅà҉̤͉͖ņ̯̘͚̮d̷͙̭͇̹ ̲̳̗̞͠͡b̞̣̲̪̳̖̯̭͡è̷̳̰̻̤̖͈͓̠h̶͕̦̭͚͎̠͎͜i̶̫͎͜n̵͙̙̹̳d̹ ̢̙̰̙̰́m̢̖̼̺̦͉͇̫̣͎e̼̼̞ͅ,̲͇͍̫̱͜ ́͏̲̯̳͎ͅI͈̣̰͙̝͈͚͢͞ ̛͙͙̤͚̬͜w̧͓̩̙͇͝į̭̦̹̜ͅĺ̙l̺͕̖̻̳̭̙͘ ̵̪̝̜͜p̛͉̺̻͢r̮̙̗͕̞̬o̡͝҉̞͉̖̼̪̪t͖͕ȩ̸̩̳c̹̯̘͓t̙̤̠͎͖̦̯͠ ͇̗͕͉̥y̵̷̮͙̮̭͙̱̪̝ͅo̶͉͈͎͓̮͇͈͍̘u̘͙̣͘͘.̲̖̫̬̦̤̤̀͝ͅ"҉̼̬͕͞

Fourth Year: Noir - "To see nothing, is to truly see the world."

Head of White Fang Investigation Team: Eklipsei Gray - "I bring justice to the darkness in this kingdom."

Atlas: ShowHide
Third Year Vigilante: Sovereign LeBlanc - "For my next trick, I'll make your Lien disappear!"

Professor of Survival Training, Combat Tactics, and Miscellaneous Studies: Hunter d'Azur - "Alright kids, today's lesson is hide-and-seek. Try your best to hide!"

Mistral: ShowHide
Fourth Year, Team CNBR: Arian Reaper - "In battle, only skill matters."

Veritas

• Been Around

• Personal Text
    Knowledge is power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 03:57:51 PM »
Alright, I added more depth to his appearance and personality, gave him a team, etc. Anything else?

NotSurprised

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 12:45:01 AM »
You didn't have to add the Strength and Weaknesses section header, as combat behavior holds both. However, other than that little nitpick, it looks fine!

Approved 1/2

White Fang 2nd Lieutenant: Artist - "Funny. When blood is spilled, it looks the same doesn't it?"

First Year, Team ALIA: Iron Silvarious - "You know nothing? Then get out of my way."

F̷̢͕͍̦̥̯̻̪̙ị̯̲̺̱r͏̻͉s̗t̛̻̼̣̞͔̤ ̸͘҉̲̠̖̭͕Y͓̣̣̲e̬͖̮̠͎̙̗͚a͙r̴̝͉̫͜,̺̣̕ ͔͎̰̯͓Ṭ̠̥͢͠ͅe̫͖̲̹̻̙͕͔͢a̺̫̼̝͔̕͠ḿ͚͚̙̪̻̗͚̝ͅ ̧͉̻͖̗̮̼͈͎̀͝Z͕͍̫C̵͈͈̖̯͎̖F̧̘̭͈͚̜R͈͚͖̣̝͔̰̘͈:͎̫̟̩̬̫̹ ̷̠̭͈̘͖͚F̠̟͈̜͍̫̠e͖͓͉͍͞n̵̰̗̘͈̹͞i̙̭̱̻x̵̦͠ ̷̙͈͈̠͎͉̮̺C̵͇̪̠e͕̟̟̙̻r̰̮̟͓̜̪̩u̯̞͉̥ͅl̺̪̝̣͢ę̥̲̹̹̜̼̳̘a͈̭͎͘͝ǹ̸̻͉̳͍͉̘̝ ̴̝̣̼͇̀̕ͅ-̡̼͚̪̱̻̪̙̠ ̖̬̠̠̪͎́"̸̜̙̣̠͚̻̲Ṣ̢̰͎̟͖̥̤ͅt̛̻̘̯̝͇ͅà҉̤͉͖ņ̯̘͚̮d̷͙̭͇̹ ̲̳̗̞͠͡b̞̣̲̪̳̖̯̭͡è̷̳̰̻̤̖͈͓̠h̶͕̦̭͚͎̠͎͜i̶̫͎͜n̵͙̙̹̳d̹ ̢̙̰̙̰́m̢̖̼̺̦͉͇̫̣͎e̼̼̞ͅ,̲͇͍̫̱͜ ́͏̲̯̳͎ͅI͈̣̰͙̝͈͚͢͞ ̛͙͙̤͚̬͜w̧͓̩̙͇͝į̭̦̹̜ͅĺ̙l̺͕̖̻̳̭̙͘ ̵̪̝̜͜p̛͉̺̻͢r̮̙̗͕̞̬o̡͝҉̞͉̖̼̪̪t͖͕ȩ̸̩̳c̹̯̘͓t̙̤̠͎͖̦̯͠ ͇̗͕͉̥y̵̷̮͙̮̭͙̱̪̝ͅo̶͉͈͎͓̮͇͈͍̘u̘͙̣͘͘.̲̖̫̬̦̤̤̀͝ͅ"҉̼̬͕͞

Head of White Fang Investigation Team: Eklipsei Gray - "I bring justice to the darkness in this kingdom."

Third Year Vigilante: Sovereign LeBlanc - "For my next trick, I'll make your Lien disappear!"

Professor of Survival Training, Combat Tactics, and Miscellaneous Studies: Hunter d'Azur - "Alright kids, today's lesson is hide-and-seek. Try your best to hide!"

Veritas

• Been Around

• Personal Text
    Knowledge is power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 09:04:03 AM »
Yeah, that part's mostly just so I can find them more quickly, rather than searching through the whole paragraph for where the strengths end and the weaknesses begin.

NotSurprised

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 09:13:11 AM »
By the way, you don't have to post in the +1'd Charcaters thread, the reviewer does that for you.

Veritas

• Been Around

• Personal Text
    Knowledge is power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 02:15:03 PM »
Whoops; my bad. ;D Thanks.

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin