Author Topic: Beacon Academy Pre-Vytal Festival Exhibition Match: Catalina vs Smokey [OPEN]  (Read 5459 times)

Siuwa

• Personal Text
    Balanced self-insertion FTW
    • View Profile
At the stadium of Beacon Academy it is a busy day. The seats are full of citizens as well as students, some of them even selling homemade snacks to make a quick Lien. Outside the entrance are a series of signposts pointing a path to the stadium. Inside is two qualified students preparing to fight it out to boost hype, have an entertaining fight and hoping to increase the turnout in the matches to come.

Catalina Glenn, the quarter-finalist last tournament, Stands on one side. He presents himself in a fighting stance, one like he is going for hand to hand combat but holding his trusted sniper instead, pointing forward but not at his competitor, Smokey Emberstone.

(A coin flip decided Smokey gets the first post. The arena size is that of the school stadium in the show. This is essentially how fights in the last tournament go, although the opening posts are quite more detailed than this courtesy of Gus. Those who missed the last can join this one at plot zone!)
Catalina Glenn - first year Beacon Academy student - "Not funny, dude! And not dudes... and everyone else... " - Cata, Cat.
Infrared Ray - fourth year Atlas Academy student - "So it's __ and __(insert name here) meets each other."
Sheer Gold - second year Beacon Academy student - "This is super effective!"
Siu Ceong - Beacon Academy graduate Huntress - "What is this? Where can I learn about it?"

Character hex code for reference: ShowHide
Cat: #0A44C2
Infrared: #CB4154
Sheer: plain red
Siu: #28CDFF

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
Gun, check

Ammo, check

Dust, check

Smokey was ready to rock and roll, as they say.  As he finished loading up Matchstick and locking the barrel back in place, he looked towards his opponent.  "A sniper, huh?  Guess I'm gettin' some legwork in today," he muttered under his breath.  Fortunately, the Beacon academy arena isn't as big as Amity's.  If he takes control of the center, his opponent should be in range of his gun no matter where he goes.  If.

Resting the revolver on his shoulder and crouching into a ready stance, he anxiously awaited the signal to begin.  Alright, plan is to take center, then I'll try and track his movements and test his reactions with simultaneous shots.  It's a basic plan, but it's something, and a lot more than what he normally goes into fights with. 

Just as Smokey finalized his plans, the signal went off, and Smokey sprang into action, focusing all of his energy on charging towards the center.  He keeps his eyes focused on the barrel of his opponent's weapon.  As soon as he's in range, Smokey will attempt a simultaneous shot, but he has to get to that point first.

Combat log
Aura: 100%
Semblance: Currently inactive.  20/20 uses remaining
Matchstick: 7/7 rounds.
Dust: 14 Rounds of Fire Dust, 14 Rounds of Ice Dust

Action:  Charging towards the center
Smokey Emberstone Beacon 1st Year and the Immovable Gunslinger of Team DASE "I've got more than enough firepower to beat you" "You've only got one bullet!" "Like I said, more than enough"

Aurelia Lumen Beacon 3rd year and the Warhorse of Team (TBD)  "Lay down your weapons, lest you wish to taste my steel!"

Wabul "Toast" Paka Shade 1st year and the Acrobatic Swashbuckler of Team (TBD)  "Hey, I'm gonna go jump off a bridge, who's with me?"

Lucas Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Hermit of Team CLVS  "What's so great about 'bittersweet'?"

Clara Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Blast Magician of Team (TBD) "No one likes just plain ol' bitter"

August Flare Beacon 1st year and the would-be ruler of the world "Join me, and witness the Brightest Future!"

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Siuwa

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Cat's really worried about that monstrosity on Smokey blasting him, and then would be no thens. He tries to figure something against that before the signal went off. A straight charge is easy to take on, so Cat did stay and fired back in place, hoping to slow down his advance and buy himself some time to get that something.

Catalina properly raised his gun, takes aim but not through the scope to be quicker, then pulled the trigger and sent 3 piercing rounds towards Smokey, two at either leg and one at the center of mass. Regardless if it hit or not, Cat will then squat down, preparing to dodge to either side in anticipation of retaliatory fire, ones that are significantly stronger than his.

Combat data:
Aura: 100%
Semblance: 100%

Sniper shots: 15% x 3
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 01:51:14 AM by Siuwa »
Catalina Glenn - first year Beacon Academy student - "Not funny, dude! And not dudes... and everyone else... " - Cata, Cat.
Infrared Ray - fourth year Atlas Academy student - "So it's __ and __(insert name here) meets each other."
Siu Ceong - Beacon Academy graduate Huntress - "What is this? Where can I learn about it?"

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
As the first shot rang out, Smokey did his best to dodge, as it was the only thing he could really do until he got in range.  A clumsy combat roll to the diagonal manages to avoid most of the damage, although that was probably more due to Catalina's rapid fire than any finesse on Smokey's part.  However, the third shot managed to hit him right as he exited the roll and turned back towards center stage, and Smokey let out a grunt of pain.

It did little to deter his charge, though.  Smokey slid as he reached the center of the arena and quickly whipped his pistol's barrel towards his opponent.  A gray aura enveloped him as his semblance activated, and a loud "Ka-Koom!" emanated from Matchstick.  The shot was aimed towards center of mass, partly to return fire, but mostly to observe how Smokey's opponent reacted to his gun.  He watched carefully, waiting for Catalina's next shot. As soon as the rifle barrel faces back towards Smokey, he'll go for a simultaneous exchange.

Combat log:
Aura: 85%
Semblance:  ACTIVATED: 25 SECONDS REMAINING AT START OF NEXT TURN
Matchstick: 6/7 Rounds
Dust: 14 Fire Dust, 14 Ice Dust

Action:  1 Matchstick round (20%)
Readied Action: 1 Matchstick Round (20%) (triggered when Cat stops to counter-attack)
Smokey Emberstone Beacon 1st Year and the Immovable Gunslinger of Team DASE "I've got more than enough firepower to beat you" "You've only got one bullet!" "Like I said, more than enough"

Aurelia Lumen Beacon 3rd year and the Warhorse of Team (TBD)  "Lay down your weapons, lest you wish to taste my steel!"

Wabul "Toast" Paka Shade 1st year and the Acrobatic Swashbuckler of Team (TBD)  "Hey, I'm gonna go jump off a bridge, who's with me?"

Lucas Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Hermit of Team CLVS  "What's so great about 'bittersweet'?"

Clara Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Blast Magician of Team (TBD) "No one likes just plain ol' bitter"

August Flare Beacon 1st year and the would-be ruler of the world "Join me, and witness the Brightest Future!"

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Siuwa

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Catalina did not make light of that shot and immediately activated his semblance, forming a palm to fling himself out of the way. As he lands decided what his something will be. Cat started skirting the edge of the arena as soon as he landed and took out his other magazine and put one of his shock rounds in his pocket waiting to use.

The mutual stare between the two notified each other of their intent as well as to the audience: finding an opening to shoot. In an attempt to create an opening, Catalina ran again in circles and pointed his gun but only pretends to aim and shoot and focused on dodging the incoming shot by outmaneuvering Smokey's aim and mainly dragging himself to a stop using his semblance again. But dodging to the ground isn't going to work twice in a row, so got hit on the leg this time.
Then he returned fire with the shock round, this time sure of himself that he can hit a stationary target, although lying on the side shooting upwards does put that into doubt.

Aura: 80%
Semblance: 96%

Shock: 5% and shock enough to throw off aim, modified by however the semblance reduces

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
Well, he definitely respects Matchstick, at least, Smokey thought to himself as Cat used his semblance to dodge his shot the instant it was aimed at him.  However, when Cat tries to dodge again, Smokey manages to predict the movement and finds his target's leg.  Huh, maybe I can win this.

As he prepares to take another shot, Cat fires first.  Even from the awkward position, he hits, as Smokey's confident he can trade blow for blow and win.  But Smokey doesn't account for dust, and his body starts twitching, so much so that he has to concentrate to not drop Matchstick outright!  Turns out Immovable Object only accounts for outside forces, not spasms originating from Smokey himself.

As he fights to regain control of his body, the only thing he can really do is fumble for a dust cartridge and try to control his spasms long enough to load it into Matchstick's dust hatch.  Fortunately, the twitching isn't so sever that he can't move, but the only thing Smokey can really do at this stage is dodge.

Combat log:
Semblance:  ACTIVATED: 20 SECONDS REMAINING AT START OF NEXT TURN
Matchstick: 5/7 Rounds
Dust: 14 Fire Dust, 14 Ice Dust (Ice Dust prepared)

Action:  Dodging, will be harder to hit.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 11:48:06 AM by ReaperJoe »

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Siuwa

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
How do I exploit this opening... Right, that. Works every time. Seeing the effectiveness of the round made him kind of regret not utilizing them to the fullest the last time. It might have gotten him a litter farther. Just a bit.

Cat used the time Smokey is being shocked to get his weapon to transform into his hammer form, charged in and... started using his hammer to spew out flames. Work wonders when trying to force some distance. The idea is to deter him from closing in, then beat him in a firefight with Take That's fire rate and ammo advantage. 2 out of 6...

Semblance: 96%

Flamethrower: 5% per second

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
Smokey's still twitching, but he's watching Cat carefully, waiting for his next move.  And then Cat does possibly the stupidest thing he could have done:  he switched his weapon to melee and charged him.

I don't know what you're plan is, but thanks for throwing the fight! Smokey thought as he, too, charged his opponent.  But then Catalina stopped and lowered his hammer.  Wait, what is he--oh!  It's a flamethrower.  OH!  IT'S A FLAMETHROWER!

Just kidding.  You see, Smokey's semblance is his biggest strength, but also the source of his most tragic weakness: he can't run away.  Even against an overwhelming horde of Grimm, Smokey's semblance will ensure that the only thing he can do is shoot his way out, which means either standing his ground or moving forward.  On top of that, he's been a lot of fights since childhood, and has long learned that he can't run away from a long-range fighter.  So instead, he charges straight into the flames to the source.

Once he gets there, Smokey will try to grab Cat's weapon and yank it out of the way, and between Smokey's strength and semblance, there's almost no chance Cat will get it back in the next 15 seconds if Smokey's successful.  Regardless of whether he gets the grab or not, Smokey will then fire at Cat's leg with Matchstick.  Even with the twitching that's slowly dying down, between the close range and Matchstick's caliber, Cat will have an incredibly difficult time dodging Smokey's next blast, which is aimed at his leg and will freeze it to the floor if it connects.

Combat log:
Aura: 55%
Semblance:  ACTIVATED: 15 SECONDS REMAINING AT START OF NEXT TURN
Matchstick: 4/7 Rounds
Dust: 14 Fire Dust, 13 Ice Dust (Ice Dust prepared)

Action:  Attempted grab at weapon, 1 Matchstick round to the leg (20% + 5% ice +immobility on hit)

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Siuwa

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Cat made a small smirk as he showered his target in flames and changed that into a grimace complete with eye-widening when he saw Smokey charged into the inferno and tried to grab his hammer still firing. Cat blocked the grab with his semblance walling off the grabbing hand and retracting back when the hammer moves out of the way.

Ok, new plans. A close firefight works too as long as Cat lands more shots than receives, running in circles should do the trick. Just a little distance from now will do. This is the distance Cat prepares the most against Zabar after all, if he couldn't make the most out of this range than he might as well not attempt against him altogether.

Then he saw him pointing the big freaking gun at him. That is scary but the low aim means he can't possibly doge it at this close which means he had to make up for it with his own. So Cat Swung with full windup, even propelling the hit with some more flames on the other side. This should very well hit if the exchange is worth it for him, but Cat first received one and it feels cold in addition to being painful. Cat tried to jump off but only one leg did. He looks down worriedly and finds it frozen to the ground. Well that's horrible for him.

Semblance: 94%
Hammer: 15%
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 04:06:57 AM by Siuwa »

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
Smokey clicked his tongue in frustration when Cat managed to safely keep his weapon away from the grab, but Cat wasn't fast enough to dodge the point blank shot from his weapon.  Smokey inwardly sighed with relief.  He'd all but won the fight, he just had to finish it off now.

In a desperate move, Cat swung the hammer in a wide and heavy arc, flames propelling the weapon even harder.  Smokey didn't even bother to try and dodge.  The blow connects, but the hammer immediately loses all momentum.  Smokey lets out a grunt of pain, but he braced for it and was fully aware what he was getting into.  Instead, he wraps his arm around the handle of the weapon and traps it in his grasp. 

With his leg frozen and his weapon in Smokey's grasp, Cat had nowhere left to run.  Smokey raised Matchstick and pointed it at Cat's center of mass.  "Good fight, but I think it ends here," he says respectfully.

Two shots echo throughout the arena.

Combat log:
Aura: 40%
Semblance:  ACTIVATED: 10 SECONDS REMAINING AT START OF NEXT TURN
Matchstick: 2/7 Rounds
Dust: 14 Fire Dust, 11 Ice Dust (Ice Dust prepared)

Action:  2 Matchstick rounds to the torso (20% + 5% ice +immobility on hit) x2
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 04:44:45 AM by ReaperJoe »

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Siuwa

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Huh? Once again Cat gets a nasty surprise as Take That! was halt instead of pushing through or bouncing back and now it is being caught. I totally forgot his semblance and that was it! Now he has little hope of retrieving his weapon as he fruitlessly pulled, pushed and slid it off his arms.

But a struggle in place is dangerous for him and so it is when he was under the threat of instant elimination. But... "Not if I can help it." Using the grabbed hammer as leverage, Cat pulled his body to the side, the frozen left leg in the front and facing Smokey. Time to push the mind to its limit.

Cat used a copious volume of his semblance at once, first using it to push the barrel away from him along with his imminent loss, then forming one clamp to take his dust out. As he struggles against Smokey's strength and semblance, he got to infuse his fire dust into his Aura which starts melting the ice on his left leg. That would make aimdodging much easier. Cat then does an upward kick with no intention to hit but to splash Smokey a face of steam. Now he focuses all his mental strength into pushing away his doom and if the hammer drops he can retake it by another use of semblance. He feels his breath get a little heavier. This might not go so well after all.

Aura: 55% (not fired yet)
Semblance: 70% and decreasing
Kick: Distracting steam
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 07:33:07 AM by Siuwa »

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
Smokey couldn't believe it.  It was never technically impossible, but he really couldn't believe what he's currently witnessing.  It takes a tremendous amount of force to move Smokey at all, even just a part of him.  But Cat was actively pushing away Matchstick with his semblance, and even had room to do more with it.  He was even trying to take the ice dust cartridge out!

"Tch!  You really don't know when to quit, do you," Smokey grunted, brow furrowed with frustration.  It wasn't a malicious statement, Smokey respected Catalina's determination, but from Smokey's perspective, this fight is already over.  Cat was so occupied with keeping the gun away that he hasn't realized Smokey has another weapon to use.

Since Cat let go of his hammer, Smokey spins it around and grabs it in his free hand and takes a wide swing.  Unfortunately, he takes it at the same time Cat kicks the steam from the melting ice into his face.  As the sting hits his eyes, Smokey's forced to close them, making the swing relatively blind.  That being said, Catalina's standing relatively still because he's concentrating on his semblance.  Cat will still be forced to dodge the blow if he wants to avoid the hit.

Combat log:
Semblance:  ACTIVATED: 5 SECONDS REMAINING AT START OF NEXT TURN
Matchstick: 4/7 Rounds
Dust: 14 Fire Dust, 13 Ice Dust (Ice Dust dropped?)

Action: Swing with Take That! (8%)

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Siuwa

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Huff. Puff. It takes a quite bit just to point the muzzle away against his wrist! Cat would certainly either lose the struggle or tire out before that. He needs to actively get away and get his weapon back.

As the- his- hammer heads for Cat, he saw a chance to get out and tried to take it. Giving up on pushing away the shotgun Catalina turned his attention and semblance to the sledgehammer, grabbing on it and using the resistive semblance of his as leverage. With one moment of focus, Cat flung himself with the help of a jump and landed a few meters away from and slightly behind Smokey. Normally this would be an excellent opportunity to fire and deal a bunch of damage, but he is disarmed so he needed to get it back. And so Catalina kept pulling under his deeper and quicker breath, this time trying harder to be able to also move and dodge.

Semblance: 52.5% and decreasing
Pulling at Take That!.

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
Okay, that was smooth.  Smokey couldn't help but be a little impressed at his opponent's ingenuity, even if all it really did in the end was buy him time.  Which was exactly what Smokey didn't want him to have.  Smokey's semblance was about to time out, and that would leave him dangerously vulnerable for the next 10 seconds.  And given Cat's stance, wariness, and the overall guts he's shown so far, Smokey doesn't think he can end the fight in the next few seconds.

But he does have a bit of a plan to minimize his own vulnerability.  Raising Matchstick, Smokey fires two more shots, aimed down, one at Cat's lower right leg and one at his left.  In theory, the only place Cat could dodge both shots is by moving back.  At the same time, Smokey takes a step back and pulls on the hammer, trying to force Cat to pull harder if he wants to get his gun back.

As the dark gray glow starts to fade from Smokey, he prepares himself for a big heave from Cat.

Combat log:
Semblance:  ACTIVATED: WILL GO ON COOLDOWN AT START OF NEXT TURN
Matchstick: 2/7 Rounds
Dust: 14 Fire Dust, 13 Ice Dust (Ice Dust dropped?)

Action: Matchstick round x2 (20% x2) (Easily dodged by moving backwards)

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Siuwa

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Twice now had Smokey fired while still holding his own weapon. Cat is astonished by this-- he needs to use both his hands to wield it effectively. To prevent another losing power struggle for himself, Catalina had to again let go and instead prepare an attack on his own. Clearing his mind, he planned out his attack in mind and prepared to launch it. Maybe, just maybe, he can take this with one volley. Well, probably not, but hopefully he can get a bigger lead. He is about to show Smokey that he is actually back on the proactive side of the fight, even at thia range without a firearm.

Semblance: 50%
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 12:39:18 AM by Siuwa »