Author Topic: Typical Nights for Shade Staff  (Read 7412 times)

willow_lark

• Personal Text
    No such thing as too much enthusiasm.
    • View Profile
Typical Nights for Shade Staff
« on: March 13, 2017, 03:34:09 PM »
Dr Richard Pelle (Richard to friends, Dr Pelle to strangers, and Dr Pelle with twice the respect to his students) sits quietly in a corner of Oasis, a bar a mere half mile from Shade Academy. The bar has been a frequent place for staff and upperclassmen of the academy to visit for most of Shade's own tenure. Indeed, Richard visited frequently in his time as as student close to 20 years ago and it's difficult to spot more than a handful of changes to the bar. The name is just as old as the bar. The general theory is the bar actually predates the combat school that shares it's name and depending on who you ask, the school took inspiration from the bar.

The building shows its supposed age as well. Brick walls are weathered by years of sandstorms and desert winds. Replacement bricks stand out from the the rest with their unfaded colors. The bar itself is a worn and weathered piece of wood, sand in every crack. There are only a few windows and the place was originally lit by a fireplace of all things. Modern lighting now supplements the old thing, but it continues to be lit in the evenings when the desert air is cool enough to send a shiver down one's spine. The tables are mostly high tops, sized for a pair of people. They're moved about by patrons, building tables large enough for groups and splitting off just as frequently. On the wall opposite the bar are larger, normal height tables with booths set into the wall.

Richard sits in one of these booths, his portfolio briefcase open by his side on the bench. In front of him is a stack of papers, tests from his freshman archaeology course. Its obvious to anyone how he feels about these exams, with his brow furrowed and a hand massaging his temples. His other lightly swirls a glass of whiskey. Taking a swig of his drink, he marks down yet another name on his growing list of students who will need extra assignments to keep up.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 03:59:18 PM by willow_lark »
First year @ Beacon: Sherwood Cathasaigh - Leader of Team ASPN

First year @ Shade: Sona Aurelia - Member of Team VLPS

Head of Archaeology @ Shade Academy:  Dr. Richard Pelle - Graduate of Team RALE

Flooberoid

• Personal Text
    Who, memu?
    • View Profile
Re: Typical Nights for Shade Staff
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 04:09:06 PM »
When a man nearly twice the size any man ought to be blundered noisily through the beaten old door of Oasis, grinning ear to ear, not one patron so much as looked in his direction. After all, nobody stood out in a building that had seen it all. Knowing this, Dannum casually stomped over to where his buddy Richard was sitting without a moment's hesitation. He put a hand down on the table with a satisfying thud and stared directly at the exasperated professor. "Whatcha doin' there, Richie boy? Don't tell me you're working on a Friday night!" The word "working" left a sour taste in Dannum's mouth, which showed in his disgusted sneer.

Not comfortable sliding into the little booth like a normal person, Dannum slid a chair over from one of the nearby tables and sat down to the sound of a pained creak. This seating would accommodate his bushy tail much better anyway.
1st Year Beacon Students: ShowHide
Hagane Inaba- Can melt steel beams. Leader of team HTDG
Mint Fresch- A chipper gale.
Persimmon Burhan- A douche.
Carnation Prescott- Get it, CAREa? Sorry.
Lissa Lime- Beacon's spinning top
Jacob Stillwater- Nailed it

Literally everyone else: ShowHide
Patchouli Breschi- First year at Shade. Don't let her penetrate you.
Diamante Solar- Third Year at Beacon. Feel the Light of the Holy Noodle!
Dannum Sohrab- Professor of practical combat skills at Shade. Or at least that's his excuse to blow things up.
Crystal Evermore- Aura professor at Beacon Academy.

Now introducing my AMCA, complete with apathy!

willow_lark

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 08:28:31 PM »
"Yes, working Dannum. Unfortunately I can't pass a student for still being able to breath at the end of the lecture." Richard says dryly, a welcoming smile to his coworker. Pointing his glass to the accompanying bottle resting on the center of the table, he looks into his glass thoughtfully for a moment. "Maybe it would be better if I could." he says before taking another drink.

"But where are my manners? Have a seat." Richard says long after Dannum had already joined him. "How've you been?" He asks casually, flipping to the next paper.

Flooberoid

• Personal Text
    Who, memu?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 09:22:59 PM »
"Better than ever, thanks for asking!" Dannum's booming voice couldn't have been particularly beneficial for Richard's concentration. "Personally, I see a lot of promise in this new batch of students. I found a group to take care of our little poacher problem, you know. Thought I'd send them in, they'd take down one or two and come home with their tails between their legs, lesson learned like always, yeah?" His speech became broken by fits of robust laughter. "Turns out, they bagged most of the group and came back talking about cupcakes and shopping trips! These kids are great!"

Dannum laughed for a good few moments before getting himself under control. He then switched to a quieter and more serious tone of voice. "It's always a rocky start, eh? Pun intended, by the way. But they're all here at this academy for a reason, just like all the star huntsmen before them. Couple more sessions in, I bet that reason will show itself. It always does."

Dannum Sohrab- Professor of practical combat skills at Shade. Or at least that's his excuse to blow things up.

willow_lark

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 08:40:40 AM »
"You're talking about the group we had to discuss at the post initiation staff meeting I believe." Richard says, somehow still managing to grade the test before him. He doesn't flip the next one over. "One of their members did kill a man after all. I do hope they aren't so great as to treat that lightly."

Richard pauses. "Not that I dislike them. I read their files before that meeting, quite the interesting set of students. I merely don't want to see them comfortable with killing like that. They are only kids."

He sighs into his glass. "But that's neither here nor there, nor pleasant conversation for a night at Oasis. The students I refer to are merely lazy with courses they don't get to swing a sword in and they'll soon realize that is a mistake. I know quite a few Huntsman who would rather fight a Goliath than take a test." He says in a light jab at his companion.

Flooberoid

• Personal Text
    Who, memu?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 02:38:48 PM »
Dannum furrowed his brow while squinting at Richard's tests, unable to understand a word on their pages. He was vaguely aware of what Richard was saying, but snapped back to reality around the time he started talking about swords and Goliaths. He sat back and cleared his throat, trying to act natural as he spoke. "Well, uh... Tell them they can expect a disciplinary conference with Professor Sohrab if they continue to neglect their studies. Can't have lazy students tarnishing their careers and our reputation, can we?" Though he had only the best of intentions in saying this, any student at Shade would testify that a conference with Professor Sohrab was a fate worse than death.

willow_lark

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 04:30:00 PM »
Richard raises an eyebrow and chuckles. "I know how you like to do your conferences. I don't wish that on any of our students my friend." Richard flips over the next paper on the stack. "Speaking of, some of my third year class is in yours this semester. Don't run them quite so ragged, they're going to be heading out on the dig in the southwest. They'll have plenty to wear them out when they get there."

"I prefer to assign extra research on those who don't take the class seriously. All they need is to find a part of the field that interests them after all." A wry grin rises on his face.

"If it takes them a weekend in the library to search for that interest, so be it." Richard was aware that this on occasion promoted said uninterested students to drop his course, but so be it. Archaeology is an elective after all. Keeps the class size down for his three and four hundred level courses too. Marking the paper in front of him with a B-, he noted the student down for continued interest.

"He might just have a knack for this kind of study." He says quietly, unconsciously speaking his thoughts aloud.

Flooberoid

• Personal Text
    Who, memu?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 03:09:41 PM »
"Ha! Can't promise I won't run them down, but I'll try to keep that in mind!" Dannum thought back to his days at the academy. Back then, they didn't offer any fancy electives like Archaeology; they just had the basic needs of huntsmen covered. But the standards were high. Students had to be tough, they had to care to make it through. Dannum always felt like the shift away from core combat education hurt the program as a whole. "Tell me again how you ended up telling kids how to dig up rocks for a living?"

willow_lark

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 09:55:23 AM »
"Little more than digging up rocks Dannum." Richard says with an aside look. "Vacuo's deserts have so much hidden in them. I can't remember a time I wasn't fascinated with the idea of finding out what was hidden under the sands."

"And don't get me wrong, it's not academic interest that drives me. I know that would bore the tail off you." Richard says with a smirk. "It's the rush. Discovering and exploring things that no living man has seen? It's a tantalizing feeling." Richard finishes his glass off in a swig.

"As for the teaching, Dr Auburn was looking to retire from Shade and I was looking to retire from the Huntsman gig. It worked out nicely." He says leaning back into the booth, papers forgotten.

Flooberoid

• Personal Text
    Who, memu?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 07:41:44 PM »
Dannum scratched his head. "So... it's the thrill of the hunt that drives you. Just like me in a sense. 'Course my personal 'hunt' doesn't have so many hours of paperwork to go along with it!" He laughed in a manner rather disproportionate to what was actually said.

"Well, I gotta say, it's good to have people like you who are so interested in discovering what wonders this great kingdom holds. Archaeologists ready to do the dirty work- pun intended again. Wouldn't be much here for people like me to defend without 'em!" He held a fist over his heart in a half-patriotic, half-bloodthirsty display.

willow_lark

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 09:16:59 PM »
Richard grins. "I don't mind the paperwork terribly. Occasionally I even unload it on the students." he says, making his enjoyment of doing so clear in his voice.

"And you certainly are Huntsman enough for the both of us. I appreciate it, I don't have the patience for all the Grimm hunting." he continues. Richard knows his friend is as noble a Huntsman as they come, following the tradition to the letter. He also knows just how much the man loves the fighting and violence, and dare Richard say it, the explosions. A wry grin crosses the archaeologist's face, deciding Dannum probably cares equally for the tradition as he does the explosions.

As the two professors talk in the corner, a group of rough looking men shamble their way into the bar. Obviously Scavvers by trade, their clothes are sandy and worn. Oasis is certainly not a bar to raise an eyebrow at a customer, no matter their state. Any sort is welcome at Oasis, especially the strange ones. The strange ones tell the greatest of stories after all.

What Oasis doesn't welcome, is rough housing drunks. The seven of them rolled in and crowded the bar, waving and harassing the bartender for drinks. The bartender, a young blonde boy has the patience of a saint, deal ing with them as professionally as one can. When he steps to the other side of the bar for a bottle, the bunch begin to jeer and flout the boy. In their exuberance they knock over the drinks of the three students sitting at the bar by the group.

Unlike the bartender, the Shade students don't have patience for the men. They kick their stools behind them with a clatter as they stand, shouting at the group of scavvers. What was said was lost in the din of the uproar as a scavver threw a punch at the lead student. The rest join in quickly as the rest of the patrons give them space to brawl.

"Well now. Were we not just talking about unruly students?" Richard says with an eyebrow cocked the erupting fight.

Flooberoid

• Personal Text
    Who, memu?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 10:24:36 PM »
Dannum's eyes brightened as he turned in his seat to witness what was going on. "Oh no! What an unwelcome disruption to our quiet evening! I'd better, um, break it up! And hand out detentions!" He stood up and pivoted, but kept his hand on the chair in a very worrying manner as he approached the fight, dragging it behind him as he went.

willow_lark

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 12:25:46 PM »
"We both know you want to get rowdy, I'll get the students. Try not to break the scavvers will you?" Richard says, sweeping his papers into his bag with practiced ease. It's not the first time he's been interrupted grading for some... disciplinary actions. He spares a glance to his wayward companion and mumbles under his breath "I swear. I can't even say this is the fastest it's taken for you to get into a brawl."

Throwing his tried and true leather jacket on as he slides out of the booth, he marches towards the students with his back straight and all the fury of a legendary headmistress known for her serious attitude.

Flooberoid

• Personal Text
    Who, memu?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 06:50:58 PM »
In mere seconds, the fight had escalated to a confusing cloud of people and punches. Dannum abandoned his chair in favor of doing things the even more old fashioned way. Expertly locating the center of all the chaos, Dannum made a beeline for that location. He forced himself in between the two men who were fighting here, pushing them apart and chuckling as the huntsman-in-training struggled to stay on his feet. He then turned to the rugged scavver, big enough to almost see Dannum eye-to-eye, and grinned menacingly at him.

One of the other scavvers, a scrawny but rowdy fellow, foolishly threw a punch at Dannum which earned him a faceful of bar. That got the men's attention. "Sorry about my students! Guess they don't know how to pick their battles yet! Don't worry-" he glanced mischievously over his shoulder at the students- "they'll get theirs soon."

willow_lark

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 07:40:38 PM »
Richard steps forward with all the confidence of his position. One of the three students, a freckled redhead Richard recognized from his second year class, turns to him. His friend, a ponytailed foreign boy Richard didn't immediately recognize reaches for his weapon. His eyes flick back and forth between the scavvers, the professors, and the door. Richard makes a note of those instincts, someone should make sure this kid develops them. Then again.

The redhead, Ross Richard recalls, is wide eyed with his eyes locked on Richard and ponytail doesn't seem to notice in the slightest. Maybe that situation awareness isn't as good as it seems.

Richard marches right into ponytail's face, grabbing the boy's arm as he tries to shift his weapon into it's attack state. Richard focuses his aura on his arm and yanks ponytail's arm behind his back. He grabs Ross on with his other and less than lightly rotates the boy around to face the bar like his friend.

Richard pushes down on ponytail's arm and Ross's back, again particularly lightly, prompting them to bow.

"Students, I do believe you owe the bartender an apology do you not? Despite your urge to protect the good patrons of the bar from potential ruffians, students of Shade do not bar fight." Richard says from above the two. He twists Ponytail's arm almost immediately, the boy wincing loudly before both he and Ross cough out frantic apologies. Richard glances to his right, merely looking at the third student. The student wisely bows his head as well and almost shouts an apology.