Author Topic: Team SMMR Initiation: Desert Sun  (Read 9605 times)

Poof!

• Been Around

• View Profile
Team SMMR Initiation: Desert Sun
« on: February 02, 2017, 07:57:50 PM »
The desert sun was high in the sky, as was to be expected considering it was a desert. The sand dunes far from the city of Vacuo had grown to immense heights, each dune formation easily one hundred meters tall from base to peak. Not only that, but the sun-baked surface of each dune was steep; tripping and falling from the top meant one could be rolling for quite some time till they'd catch themselves. Wind was a constant too; at no time did the wind ever stop. It would only ever change in intensity, and on the lucky day it might be nothing more than a simple, gentle caress against the bare skin. For the students of Vacuo, the newly formed teams SMMR and ROVR, the wind wasn't as kind that day, whipping the exposed skin with loose sand at high speed. Woe be to the unprepared.

The Sandcrawler the students had taken into the rarely travelled depths of the desert left the day after the students' arrival to Shade, and had been travelling almost non-stop to get to the point they were at. Soon it would be time for the students to practice their landing strategy. The mission was simple, at least in theory. There were rumours passing between the tribes of the dunes of a creature stalking the sands, and that it was moving on a collision course with one of the more remote villages of the region. The students were to scout the area for signs of the great beast, and destroy it if possible. The captain of the Sandcrawler had stated multiple times to each student that there was no shame in pure reconnaissance, should the threat turn out to be too big, and that each student should be prepared for the event where they would require a proper Huntsman. 

On the open deck, the topmost section of the Sandcrawler, lay eight air bikes, which were essentially user-friendly dust-propelled dirt bikes designed specifically for quick travel amidst the desert. Each air bike came with small side-bags for storage, but were otherwise minimalistic in appearance. Underneath each bike was what appeared to be some sort of launching mechanism, fueled by high-propulsion dust. The initiates were summoned midday to gather together amidst the bikes, and were provided enough food and water for three days. Both teams were otherwise left to pack whatever gear they deemed necessary for the mission, which commenced shortly after they gathered together. In order to cover the most ground, each of the initiates would be launched separate directions, explained to them right at the time of the gathering.

Each student was launched far into the dunes with their air bikes, whether or not they were planning on using them. Miziren, having travelled in similar places, opted to be launched sitting on his bike, hoping to use his abilities to push him into a nice landing down the side of one of the dunes. Soon after he was thrown into the sky, his teammates accelerated away from him, soon becoming nothing but dots in the distance. 

It took some work, but after spewing a geyser of air out of his back to propel himself forwards, he turned the bike to the side in mid-air, almost like he was pulling a stunt, and activated the thrusters to help push him to the side as his dust-infused semblance gave him just that extra little distance needed to just barely make the landing he was hoping to achieve.
Miziren Starminer - 1st year student of Shade Academy and member of Team SMMR - "Strive for betterment in oneself, for in this way, betterment of all may be had."

00Mogar

• Personal Text
    Currently wish brick was a gender option XD
    • View Profile
Re: Team SMMR Initiation: Desert Sun
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 06:22:58 AM »
Marcus had sat around the sandcrawler in all his armor other then his helmet until he was required to go to the topdeck, when everything was explained he smirked and put his helmet on then took a seat on the bike moments before being launched into the air, as he flew through the air he started engines and revved the gas sending the bike sailing further into the air as he whooped loudly.

As he got close to the ground he reversed the engine sending the the propulsion backwards as he aimed the front of his bike down slowing his dissent but he knew it wouldn't be enough so he jumped off the bike driving himself into the sand allowing the bike to land safely while he pulled himself up out of the sand.
Characters: ShowHide
BEACON
Kale Bomvu "Ready, set, boom." -Third year explosives expert
Valerie Moriomo "What will it be booze or a mission?"- Owner of the Pink Forest and huntress for hire
Obadia Corcra/A.C.D.C."Never any interesting people.""Obadia... shut up." Third year Mad scientist--
Eddy Midori"You're never ready for me."-- First year Cocky Monk
Alice Kasshoku/Schwarz -- "You just need to chill."-- active huntress

SHADE
Marcus Bomvu-"Is there a forge nearby? I prefer to keep working."-- First year craftsman of team SMMR

Dragolianx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 02:12:00 PM »
Mavi was gong through his bag to make sure he had his tools and extra dust cartridges on him. As he finished inspecting his bag he was called up to the deck of the sandcrawler. Mavi was told that he could either take an air bike or walk on his own. erring on the side of caution Mavi mounted on one of the bikes and reached into his bag to pull out a pair of goggles. As everyone else was being launched into the air Mavi quickly put his bag on his back and revved his engine.

It was a huge rush flying through the air, but Mavi knew that he would have to land eventually, and safely for that matter. Mavi then spotted a pretty big sand dune and went straight for it. When he got close enough Mavi jumped off of the air bike and curled into a ball activating his semblance on his arms, legs, and back to cushion his fall.

Mavi got up and went to check on the air bike to see if it needed any repairs. After tuning it a bit Mavi hopped on and continued riding.
Mavi Kobold First Year at Shade Academy

Ordelis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 01:37:19 PM »
What a week it's been for Solar, she's seen more things within the span of a few days then she had in an entire year's worth spent in her mountain village. She traveled all the way through the unknown terrain of Sanus's lands and finally made it to Vacuo, where she further made her way to its renowned combat school of Shade academy where she's set to learn more of the world. And now begins her first real duty, her first trial thrown to her by the world.
Naturally Solar had never seen or had any understanding of the air bike she was presented with. But after learning the basic concepts of the controls, she watched her others team mates soar off into the sky and was entirely exhilarated at what it could do. When it was her turn to launch she immediately throttled the gas all the way as she was taught and was caught off guard as she was nearly thrown off of it.
'So this is the world!' She thought as she was falling through the air, she could see out through miles of desert sand, rock formations, decayed shrubbery, and other foreign objects she wished to learn about. "Woooo!Hooooo!" She cried out as she felt the burning sun along with the blustering gale of wind billowing all around her. Her excitement was short lived as she could rapidly see the ground coming up close to her. She grinned as she began charging her semblance indicated by a faint orange glow that wrapped around her 'Wait for it...5 seconds...4...3...2..1 Now!'. As Solar released a burst of energy directed upwards launched off of the air bike but still holding on to it so it went with her. Seconds before the bike touched the ground it launched upwards only slamming into the sand about 10ft as opposed to from all the way up in the sky. 'Nailed it!' As she recovers from the fall Solar once again opens up the throttle all the way and blasts through the open stretch of desert. Solar was in love with the vehicle, she felt like freedom incarnate, the very wind now storming at her instead of from below her didn't feel any  different from falling. How far could I go with this? she wondered, I could see so much within so little time. Free, she felt so free, the roar of the dust engine, the very power her hands had just by manipulating the bike, distance suddenly did not become a problem with this machine, she could finally see, feel, join the world.

That was until the bike bumped into a particularly large rock and sent Solar flying off it. "WAAARGH!" Solar cried out as she was sent careening off the bike and luckily landed in the safe sand, head buried underneath the sand and legs sticking out.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 11:09:07 PM by Ordelis »
Solar Rasie "What's this thing? What does it do? Can I play with it!?"
https://i.imgur.com/161JzXc.png

Ribeiro Ispecs
"Can I see the color of your blood? Please?"

Poof!

• Been Around

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 02:37:29 PM »
'It would be best if we could reconvene sooner rather than later...' Miziren thought to himself as he rode the dune all the way to the bottom, deciding to get a lay of the land. It was a bit disappointing that they weren't able to spar with each other. He wanted to know how they would handle themselves on their own... 'I shouldn't worry, since there isn't really any point. Focus.' He thought as he ascended the next nearest dune, his shemagh and glasses and hood wrapping his face to protect him from the wind and sand and light. His legs and arms would still feel the bite, but he wasn't going to complain. Once he made it to the top, he sat on the bike and took out a pair of binoculars from one of the side bags. First he glanced around without them, to check the immediate vicinity before moving on for a more detailed sweep.

It was all very mechanical, the way he followed through with all of his motions. Marking his findings in a notebook and marking his position, he proceeded to head away from the Sandcrawler's last known location in a gentle curve, which hopefully would allow him to rendezvous with one of hist teammates. ThInking the signal would be weak if there was any at all, Miziren pulled out his scroll to check and see. Low and behold, he wouldn't be able to get a hold of anybody, and without any outward reaction, he stuffed it back into his shorts.

"Sand storm coming in from the south too. Better move quickly, before that storm catches up with us." And with that, Miziren took off at top speed, riding the dunes like his father had shown him during his exodus.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 02:39:38 PM by Poof! »
Miziren Starminer - 1st year student of Shade Academy and member of Team SMMR - "Strive for betterment in oneself, for in this way, betterment of all may be had."

00Mogar

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 04:25:02 PM »
Marcus chuckled as he pulled himself out of the sand, he dusted the sand off the front of his armor before scanning his surroundings seeing nothing but sand he walked over to the bike and sat himself back on it. He placed a hand on each of his weapons just to make sure they where still there, finding that they where he took one more look this time seeing another person flying through the air, smirking he revved the engine and took off towards whoever that was. As he made his way over he checked his scroll seeing that he didn't have a signal he just put it away and decided to enjoy the ride, even though the world had an unnatural orange tint to it.
BEACON
Valerie Moriomo "What will it be booze or a mission?"- Owner of the Pink Forest and huntress for hire
Obadia Corcra/A.C.D.C."Never any interesting people.""Obadia... shut up." Third year Mad scientist--

SHADE
Marcus Bomvu-"Is there a forge nearby? I prefer to keep working."-- First year craftsman of team SMMR

Dragolianx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 04:35:24 PM »
Mavi continued to ride around the desert for a while trying to figure out which way to go from there. After he landed he got turned around a bit, and because his scroll wasn't getting a signal that option was out. "Okay, so first things first. Find someone from your team." Mavi though as he sped through the desert. After riding in silence for a few more minutes Mavi began to see a silhouette in the distance. 

Ordelis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 06:57:36 PM »
Sand, so much sand everywhere. Compared to most girls Solar always performed minimal effort when it came to personal hygiene, so generally her hair was always in a mess and unkempt. But being buried shoulder deep in sand was not something even she was comfortable with. "Ptoo! Bleh!" Solar blurted as she attempted to spit out and get rid of the sand in her mouth. "Alright lesson learned! Watch where your going!" she said to herself and she patted down and removed herself of all the sand. 'Ugh for once even I could use a shower right about now' she thought to herself as she found it to be an impossible task to get rid of all the sand in her hair.

As she continued to un-sand herself she heard the approaching sound of another dust engine, turning in the direction of the noise she waved her hands in the air to get their attention "Over here! hey Miz!" She exclaimed as the figure approached closer and she realized who it was.

Ribeiro Ispecs

Poof!

• Been Around

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 07:13:27 PM »
Miziren had been travelling for some time on his bike, hovering over the sand at high speeds. He kept a relaxed gaze, swiveling his head side-to-side every so often to check for movement across the horizon. Every time he looked out to where he'd seen the approaching sandstorm however, he noticed that it was growing larger at a rapid pace. His initial projections were off...which was strange for him since approximating the weather conditions was one of the first things he'd learned, even before he was taught how to use his semblance. With his head in the clouds, trying to figure out the missing variable, he'd nearly missed Solar calling out to him in the distance.

Slowly, Mizi altered his trajectory so that he could meet up with his teammate, decelerating as he did. He came to a stop a few meters away, dropped the anchor, and leapt off the still hovering bike. "Have you seen anything yet?" Miziren asked her, eager to hear any news. Apparently casual greetings, or concern for her wellbeing weren't things at the forefront of his mind. Her sandy appearance however, caused his eyes to narrow in a questioning look, though she wouldn't be able to see that behind his scarf and glasses. "I haven't run into anybody besides yourself, and I remain without evidence of the mysterious creature, though with the approaching sandstorm, that is currently the least of my worries." Even as he spoke to her, his gaze remained to the south, pondering why it could be moving so fast.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 07:15:11 PM by Poof! »

00Mogar

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 12:32:59 AM »
After riding for quite a while Marcus had stopped to survey the area and saw a bike heading towards him making him smile, but that smile quickly faded as he saw a sand storm coming behind his teammate, from his point of view it looked huge he even took his helmet and goggles off to make sure they weren't playing tricks on him. After putting them back on Marcus revved the engine and took off towards who he could now make out as Mavi, once he had gotten close he whipped the tail end of the bike around so Mavi would pull up next to him.

As soon as Mavi pulled up Marcus said "You have any troubles while you where out there? Cause if not we need to move to shelter.", pointing at the sand storm he continued "And the sooner the better."
BEACON

SHADE

Dragolianx

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 02:14:00 PM »
Mavi had just caught up with Marcus not too long ago. Just when he thought he could slow down and take a break for a bit, a sandstorm just had to hit. So yeah, it was one of those kind of days. As soon as Marcus pointed out the sand storm Mavi looked around to find what looked like the entrance to some underground ruins a little ways away. "Let's head over there I think I see some shelter!" Mavi yelled as he revved his engine.

Ordelis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 04:42:20 PM »
Answering Miziren's question "Nope haven't seen anything or anyone yet" she said as she was still ruffling up her hair to get as much sand as possible out of it. She took a glance at Miziren and noticed he wasn't even looking toward her but at something behind her, Solar turned around and finally noticed the massive sand storm rapidly approaching them. "Wow! That thing is huge! We should probably find somewhere to take cover right? Let's get out of here Miz! Oh yeah do you have an extra pair of goggles? This wind keeps blowing sand in my eyes!". She said as she picked her bike back up, and hopped backed on. Solar had plenty of experience surviving in the mountains woodlands and forest of her homelands but had no knowledge of desert survival and realized how under prepared she might have been for this mission.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 11:36:59 PM by Ordelis »

Ribeiro Ispecs

Poof!

• Been Around

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 08:21:54 PM »
Miziren turned to Solar, and for a moment, appeared as if he was going to just stand there and look at her. After deliberating for a few seconds, Miziren took off his glasses and scarf and shoved them towards her, right into her gut if she was close enough. Miziren’s aura began to sparkle around him like stars in a clear night's sky. With his eyes closed, and once his hands were free, he moved through a quick series of physical gestures that looked almost like Tai Chi, a dark mask covering his face once the motions were complete. One of his bracelets glowed faintly with a red colouration, before cracking and becoming void of colour. "Do us both a favour next time and think about what you're doing. This isn't an easy thing for me to do." Shaking his head, he moved back to his bike. "If there are any rocky outcroppings, or underground cave systems which we can use as shelter, I am unaware of them. Follow me."

After ensuring they were both ready to go, Miziren rode up near the top of a dune that was perpendicular to the incoming storm. Stopping a half dozen meters before he got to the peak, he parked his bike and killed the engine. "This is the best spot to be, unfortunately. Park your bike opposite of the way I did with mine, so they form a point facing the top of the dune. We'll use this for cover until the storm passes." Miziren instructed, his voice much louder so that she could hear him over the whipping screech of the wind.

Fortunately for Marcus and Mavi, the rocky outcroppings that were the surefire marker for glorious man-made structures long past their time did indeed provide large swaths of protection from the burgeoning storm. They turned out to be just close enough, for once they had managed to take cover, the Sandstorm blanketed the area, blowing with seemingly unnatural fury towards the north.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 08:23:50 PM by Poof! »

00Mogar

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 10:35:58 AM »
As Mavi revved his engine Marcus did the same sending them flying towards the ruins, he only hoped that they would beat the storm otherwise he knew they would be lost or worse.
BEACON

SHADE

Dragolianx

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 08:21:35 PM »
With Marcus close behind Mavi sped towards the ruins up ahead. "Okay, we gotta find some cover!" Mavi yelled. As they pulled up to the ruins Mavi parked his bike and grabbed his bag. "Hey, I think these rinse go underground." Mavi said pointing towards an open hole in the ground.