Author Topic: How do your characters spend their free time?  (Read 7081 times)

Vision

• Personal Text
    The Unofficial Official Keeper of Statistics
    • View Profile
How do your characters spend their free time?
« on: January 21, 2017, 06:45:14 PM »
When I first found this forum I found the AMA section to be a really interesting idea, however as there have been no posts in over two months it seemed rather dead. So I thought we could try something a little different. This thread will be specific to a question with (hopefully) several characters responding, so we can see how different (and alike) we are. We'll start off easy and if people are interested in this we can have some more involved questions. Anyway...

Whether huntsman, huntress, professor or baker, we all have some downtime during the day to relax a bit, how do you spend yours? Hobbies, music, arts, crafts? Have you been doing it long? Any particular reason you chose this thing?

Diana Levone - Beacon First year - Leader and Medic of team Digital (DGTL)
[color= #839CA5]""[/ color]
Bastet Nin - Haven First year - Blinking Glaive Skirmisher of team Rewind (RWND)
[color= #F2B233]""[/ color]

ViridianDreamer

• View Profile
Re: How do your characters spend their free time?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 09:51:11 PM »
Cordelia York:

"Free time?! How the hell does anyone have free time?! There's so much studying and homework to do, how does anyone have time to not?! I mean, the only time, I guess, when Im not nose deep in a book is when Talen kidnaps me and forces me to go hang out with her, but even then I have a heart attack! I have so much to do!"

Vi Highwind:
"Hell, I don't know. Smoking, maybe going around town seeing if there's anything I can do to "entertain" me. I mean I have enough free time anyways since I skip classes that I don't care about so I have unlimited options of what to do."

Augustus

• Personal Text
    ...what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 10:41:10 PM »
"'Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life!' My benefactor said those words to me a long time ago. However, being as I am a man who walks the path of both a huntsman and a conqueror, 'free time' is something I find myself with little of. When studies and training do not consume my waking hours, I find myself viewing maps, tending to my equipment, and making allies anywhere I can. Since I am one who can forge, without the need of a forge, making and repairing armaments for myself and my retainers is something I find myself doing frequently. But, I am still a man. Thus, every so often, relaxation is a necessity. So, on the occasional sunset, I will track down a nice western vantage point and enjoy some good drink while the blue canvas of the sky is painted with the reds and yellows of evening. And every time I look out and vow that I will one day claim that sunset as my own in glorious conquest!" -Axus Windico
Axus Windico ~ "LET US SHARE IN THE GLORY OF COMBAT!"
Ace N. Thaholl ~ "Just what i want you to think..."

arcus_gray

• Personal Text
    There's no accounting for dumbass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 11:41:23 PM »
Gray (pre-trauma) "I like practicing my fighting and my reading. I've learned several times the hard way that both need some serious improvement. I'll also go along with whatever Xanh and Avaline want to do. Viridian too on the rare occassion that happens."

Gray (post-trauma) "I improve myself."

Rust "I don't have an awful lot of free time. I spend most of my time in between contracts looking for more of them. Though I guess for me my work is my relaxation."

Cerulean " Basic life stuff. Washing my clothes and ensuring all my stuff is in order. When i don't have any of that to do I go out and get a drink."

Fallow "When not dragged out by Primrose I am refilling my spellbook or reading."

Rev "I am usually either drinking or messing about with some form of machinery. Whether it's my weapon, Someone else's, Ladybug, or something else i managed to get my hands on. Sometimes i combine them and work on things while drunk.

Sandy "whatever the hell I want. It is my own time isn't it?"

Ceramite "Normally I would have a drink or a smoke. Anything that could be considered enjoying the quiet if I'm perfectly honest."
1st year reckless idiot of team LGGR- Gray Saggio- "oh screw it. I'll just hit it till it dies!" 660066

psychotic mercenary- Alizarin rust "make me your enemy and they won't be able to identify your corpse"1C6BA0[/url]

lone wolf huntsman. ex member of team SAND cerulean steel "You are welcome to accompany me but if something goes wrong I'll deal with it myself." 2B3B44

1st year glass canon of team TBD Fallow Russet  "I may have been forced into this but that doesn't mean i don't like it." 50c878

2nd year drunken gearhead(teamless) Revya Vermillion "If you were to change to a lighter metal and add gears here, here and here you could greatly- I've entirely lost you haven't I?" Orange

1st year nimble tank of team CRSA Sandy Smoke "I've been told I'm a right bastard to fight against. Care to try ya luck?"355e3b[/color]

Guardian huntsman and drummer for Grimm Omen Ceramite Gunmetal "A barfight? alright then. SHOWTIME!" 800020 WIP[/u]

White Fang power couple. Ignis and Glacies. [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwpudWRx7eg] Partners in crime

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 12:47:12 AM »
Chuckling slightly to himself Calen remarks 'cooking, if I have good enough ingredients. It's hard to make something to be proud of when you have less than perfect materials, I'm sure you would agree. Although to dance has always been my first love not many places in Vale cater to my tastes in style.'

A half scowl flashes across Calen's face when pressed 'I've been cooking almost my entire life and for no other reason that food heart and soul any life. Hey I've got some ribs I've been marinating for the past two days, there is more than enough for myself so bring something worth drinking and I'd be happy to share.' Calen gives slightly forced smile at the end of his response.   
No criticism is too harsh so hit me with your best shot.

Calen Shrike - ASTC - First Year Beacon.

Saffron de Cortez - SALT - Third Year Atlas.

Amarant Lovis - (formerly of)ACCE - Headmaster of Atlas Academy

Ramalia - RASB - First Year Shade

Viventium Umbra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 03:18:05 AM »
"I cannot rest in my duty to protect the oppressed."

"Oh, I love to hang out with my friends."

"Free time is strange and inefficient construct of you emotionally-bound fools."

t17 is currently unavailable, please try back at a later time

"Free time? So We're talking about free time? I would tell you, but it'd ruin all the fun of seeing your reaction when you actually find out."
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 07:21:12 PM by Viventium Umbra »
My Characters: ShowHide

Azrail Duivel Kind (Deceased) 3rd year lightning reaper -  teamless
Reaper's Spear I summon thee
To smite my foes and enemies.
Lightning's wrath in darkness grasped
Delivers swift eternity.

-Azrail Duivel Kind
Drevin Srebra 1st year speed demon - #347C2C - teamless

Brond Osilgrin - #B22222 - fully fledged hunter/walking bonfire

Rix "Deadshot" Maradis (currently unapproved) 1st year coder/sniper - #157DEC & Tess #79BAEC - teamless

Project t17: restrained - glow #D41A1F color #121212 - the chupacabra of Vale

Zitham Degas - #E31230 - "At the end of the day, as long as there are two people left on the planet, someone is gonna want someone dead."

AMCA (ask my characters anything)

AMA (ask me anything)

My Weird Pseudo-Plot

Spoiler: ShowHide

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    Infinite ADHD Asperger's physicist monkeys
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 09:25:52 AM »
Nathan: "Dunno. Play video games, hang out with friends and Mauve, I guess? Sometimes fiddle with tech and stuff."

Camelia: "Hmm. Mosly, train and keep Bianca in check."

Anna: "Read, duh."

Brock: "Train the brawn. And the mind, every now and then."

Helena: "Read outside when I can and hang out with friends!"

Scarlett: "...Free time? Look for people to help, probably."
Characters: ShowHide
Nathan Eau, De Facto Jetpack Guy and Leader of Team INKK
Camelia Sol, Miss Magnetic Personality and Leader of Team CAST
Anna Fall, Insightful Visionary of Team ASTC
Brock Greenwood, Human Titan of Team DGTL
Helena Chlophyll, Ray of Sunshine of Team CHES
Scarlett/Corinth,Korynn,etc. Briggart/Topaz (In the works)
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Maena Nadir, Coherent Beam of Team SSMR
Europa/Encela(dus)/Io/Callisto/Calypso (In the works)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"Some goddamn bullshit, Invictus Omega"
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"I swear it's not my fault"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"
"Librarian"
"Vibin'"
Cole McWrath
AAAA (a.k.a. AMAA)
AMCAA

Poof!

• Been Around

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 12:23:36 PM »
Miziren: "For the time I do spend on recreation, I prefer my knowledge and skills to be tested in fun and engaging activities. Rock climbing, racing dune buggies, playing games like darts, pool, or chess with lien on the line are all activities that interest me. Remnant: The Board Game is something I also enjoy, though to a lesser extent. I can appreciate other avenues for entertainment, such as plays or movies, but my time is better used for furthering my own experiences, rather than simply observing those of others. Music isn't exactly something I engage in as a hobby, since my time is better spent elsewhere, but it is something I always try to integrate into my life whenever possible since it was unavailable to me for a great length of time. It would be akin to knowing about colour for five years but being unable to see it for that period of time."
Miziren Starminer - 1st year student of Shade Academy and member of Team SMMR - "Strive for betterment in oneself, for in this way, betterment of all may be had."

Dragolianx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 11:43:16 PM »
Mavi: Well in my down time I like to fiddle around with some mechanical stuff, It helps me sometime when I get a little homesick. I also like to watch any superhero shows I can find on TV, anything so I don't get bored outta my skull
Mavi Kobold First Year at Shade Academy

The Mythic Scribe

• Personal Text
    What sanity?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 09:43:48 AM »
Mauve: "My free time? Well, I do love reading. And I can play the violin quite well. My singing ability is simply average but I do love to sing along to music as well. Does extra training count? No? Well alright. I like to unwind any way I can really, hobbies and such are perfect for that. Beacon can be quite stressful sometimes, don't you agree? There's absolutely nothing better than to relax by snuggling up under the sheets and reading a fantastic little novella or letting loose and playing a few stanzas of something, no matter what it is. I can sew too, and knit. I make scarves and hats for charity all the time, and I stitch up old clothing for them too."

Bianca: "Uh... I train. Most of my time's spent training. Parents drilled the importance of always being on duty from way back when. Assassins and mercenaries need strict training regimen and I always stick to it. If I need a break, well, too bad. Pretty much used to it by now. I do like to run and piss off Camelia if I have any spare time on my hands though. Those are fun. Oh! And sleep, sleeping is nice."

Primrose: "Stuff I do when I have free time? Well, I have a ton of stuff! I bake and cook of course, I actually work part-time at a bakery in Vale that you should totally visit! I bake outside of that too and I cook whenever I feel like it. I also do ballet, which I actually keep up even here. Once a week I visit this little dance studio and resume my ballet training and stuff. Music too! I play violin and flute, I always make sure that I'm working on something on one instrument of the other!"

Cerise: "Any free time I have is spent study. No second wasted. I used to dabble in painting, but that's not important anymore."
Mauve Roux(1st year leader of team ROSE):“Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.”  -Simone Weil

Bianca Li(1st year member of team CBLT):"When you're the victim of the behavior, it's black and white; when you're the perpetrator, there are a million shades of gray." -Laura Schlessinger

Primrose Aster(1st year member of team BTRA):“To weep is to make less the depth of grief.”  -William Shakespeare

Cerise Carnelian(1st year member of team VCVS):"Be as you wish to seem." -Socrates

Lien Li(2nd year member of team MLDC): "To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders." -Lao Tzu

Aurora Hesperid(1st year leader of team ATLA)

Vision

• Personal Text
    The Unofficial Official Keeper of Statistics
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 04:48:41 PM »
(Just got my own character approved so I can actually answer my own question, might post another question soon as this seemed to go over well)

Diana: "We'll I'm just a first year so I guess I have more free time than some of the more senior students, and I spend it doing you know, normal things? I tend to do a fair bit of reading, generally just on my bed in the dorm but if the sun is out I do love reading in the warmth as I could never do that back in Atlas. My friends back home often insisted that "reading" was a boring hobby so I have been trying my hand at drawing. Haven't been doing it for long though so still terrible at it."
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 04:54:19 PM by Vision »

Diana Levone - Beacon First year - Leader and Medic of team Digital (DGTL)
[color= #839CA5]""[/ color]
Bastet Nin - Haven First year - Blinking Glaive Skirmisher of team Rewind (RWND)
[color= #F2B233]""[/ color]

Janus Rogo

• Global Moderator
  • Been Around

• Senior Staff

• Personal Text
    Corporal Moneybags to you
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 10:26:00 PM »
"Hmmm....", Janus growled, rubbing at the stubble growing on his chin. "Well, free time in the Hunting line of work, or even my line, now, is a bit of a... misnomer." He gestured to the table he was seated at. An open scroll sat at the edge, the rest of it was newspapers, articles, maps, and magazines. "See, if you're between jobs, you should be keeping an eye out for the next one. When you're solely a Huntsman, you can see where the world is shifting, you look close enough. Where's conflict brewing? Where're supply lines shortening. Where...", he paused for a moment, swiping across a block of articles.

{LOCAL LEADERS UNABLE TO B-}
{BLAZE DEVASTATES MUCH OF LO-}
{TYPHOON CALLUS MAKES LANDFA-}
{EXPLOSION ATTRIBUTED TO WHIT-}
]

"Where is shit gonna go wrong? You find those, you find Grimm.", he sighs, sitting back, he tugs a bottle out of case on the floor next to him, cracking it open on his rifles barrel.

"Now, in my line, you're looking for a lot of the same shit. There's a fair amount of us out there, so you wanna try and be the first one on site, or the first to get a message through, whichever. There's some... less reputable boards that you can find, if you're discrete enough, skilled enough, connected enough, what have you.", he waved dismissively, downing a considerable portion of the ale. "Generally speaking, you'll get better results if you're proactive. You gotta actively hunt down leads, which could be anything. Political, economic, criminal, legal or illicit. That takes time."

The Mercenary paused for a moment, shifting a few of his papers aside, revealing one with a quickly drawn White Fang logo on it. "Course, you're gotta keep your own skill level up, too. Gotta train, gotta work, gotta learn. Time, time, time. You never know what, or who, you're gonna end up tangling with next. Your life, your paycheck, and usually both, depend directly on how much time you put into your work."

With that, he polished the drink off, setting it on the floor, next to a cluster of it's brothers.

"So, kid, to sum it up? Downtime is just wasted time. Waste not, want not, hm?"

Glow

• Personal Text
    Ayo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 06:12:43 PM »
Samuel Quartz:
Samuel gives a sigh, scratching the back of his head with an awkward smile. "Well, uh, there's a few different things I do, I suppose. If you count sleeping when I'm not meant to, that's probably topping the charts." He stated, a grin briefly marking his face before he shrugs, letting out a light chuckle.

"'part from that, I probably spend most of my time tinkering or listening to music. Depends on the mood, y'know? As in, uh, whether my teammates would find that particular project with a slight risk of spontaneous combustion, or if it would probably be wiser to hang out somewhere. Literally, if I want, with these things." The chains around his arms briefly unwrap, wiggling for a moment before returning to their usual positions. "I like to mess about with different weapon designs, ammo, dust types, you know the drill. Had to learn something about it to make Ashen Howl in the first place, and it kind of just grew from there, really."

Pausing for a moment, the teen considered his words. "Apart from that, I like listening to music. A lot. Just feels right to have some kind of background noise; I mean, unless you can get proper quiet then there's no point not having something to listen to, right?" Samuel ponders over what to say for a moment, before his cheeks go slightly red. "I mean, I occasionally like playing some music, too. Semblance or guitar, and, uhm... well, singing, uhm, sometimes." He looks incredibly awkward, just about recovering some of his composure to continue.

"I guess, uh, apart from that, I like keeping an eye on things. Listening out for, uhm, for rumours, coding and trying to mess around with applications, just getting information and indexing it. Also a literal bird's eye view; I just... like high-up places. They're a bit quieter than most, just the wind there." Scratching his cheek with an awkward laugh, he gives a shrug. "I suppose I'm not too interesting in the end, just a lazy kid with a few habits, but... rather that than anything else I've been referred to as." Samuel's expression sours slightly, before yet another shrug couples with a sigh. "Well, in the end, probably one of the better outcomes that could have come out of everything, eh?"

Lynn Aubin:
Lynn appears to ponder the question for a time, tilting her head to the side. "I don't receive particularly much free time. I am usually busy with various testing or training operations, if those could be counted underneath pasttimes." She murmurs in a bland tone. "My... condition prevents me from exiting the facility too much, so I don't participate in any sports. Not that I would particularly need or want to; I am perfectly happy with being a huntress, and with where I am now." Her hand twitches at the last comment and she goes stonily silent, before letting out a quiet sigh.

"I suppose I enjoy reading, fiction and non-fiction, a preference towards the latter as of recently. It is nice to keep tabs on the general state of Remnant and the updates to various specific areas. No matter what Iris says, it is not true I keep comic books." Lynn states icily, only her awkward stance betraying her.  "...apart from that, I suppose I enjoy testing out my semblance and my... new additions."

She stays still for a few more moments, before starting to speak more quietly, somehow. "And, I suppose I used to enjoy swimming and animal care when I was younger, but... when you're an adult, you don't always have time for things like those." Lynn murmurs, her voice carefully balanced. "There are far more productive things you can always be doing with your time, in the end."

Peperian Emem:
You don't want to know.
Lynn Aubin, Module-003 'Reaper' of Quartz Industries

Peperian Emem, Legend of Beacon, The God. MEME

willow_lark

• Personal Text
    No such thing as too much enthusiasm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 08:31:12 PM »
Sherwood:

"Ah've been whittling since ah was a kid. Ah still do whenever Ah'm sitting around. That or maintaining my knife, since the whittling can really really wear it down."

"If Ah got a lot of time, Ah've spent time leatherworking. Ah had plenty of skins to work with back home, and Ah picked up the skill from the local tanner. Ah'm still not real good, but Ah enjoy it. Ah like to sit down with that for ah long while. If Ah don't have ah whole day to commit, Ah'll just keep up with the studies and ahll that."

Sona:

"I... I don't really have free time. I don't mean it in the" She flicks her hair back and starts bobbing her head like some Vale Valley Girl, " 'Omg, my classes are so hard I barely have time to do my nails' kind of way." She finishes, returning to normal with a shrug. She even said it in a faux accent to match the acting.

"I had to work a lot of odd jobs to get where I am. If I slept a full night I was lucky. Anytime I had for myself went into finding more ways to keep my myself afloat." She suddenly gives an aside smirk to her companion. "And I'm not saying this for any pity. It's a lot better off than I had been." she says teasingly.

"But I guess at Shade I have more free time. Really, the studying isn't any more difficult than a single job, and I've had more than that. Even while playing catch up. The combat is more grueling than working would be but that's just combat by nature. I've been spending time reading up on fashion trends. That's proven fun. My partner's helped with the whole free time thing, thankfully. She's a whirlwind, so I get to see first hand what kind of things I do. For now that's enough for me." She says lightly, honesty in her voice and a soft smile on her face.

Richard:

"All my time is free time. My passion is archaeology, and I run the department at Shade. Not to mention I work with VAC extensively. Any work I do on dig sites, cataloging, it's all stuff I love to do anyway. And as for teaching, it's what I never expected to be so enthralled with. Spending time on my students is never a waste." He grins wryly.

"Yes, even when you get poor grades. Getting you back on track is just as fun." he says, an evil glint in his eye. "Speaking of, don't you owe me a few assignments..."

Interview cuts
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 08:47:27 AM by willow_lark »
First year @ Beacon: Sherwood Cathasaigh - Leader of Team ASPN

First year @ Shade: Sona Aurelia - Member of Team VLPS

Head of Archaeology @ Shade Academy:  Dr. Richard Pelle - Graduate of Team RALE