Author Topic: He Came from Atlas [Closed]  (Read 1513 times)

Rush

• "Better than Krillin"

• Personal Text
    The man your man could post like
    • View Profile
He Came from Atlas [Closed]
« on: November 25, 2017, 04:26:59 PM »
It was a meeting that neither Juno nor Phi had been particularly excited for.

Their last interaction with the huntress had been a short talk before her mission abroad, in the aftermath of Acero Walker's injuries. To think that had been just a month ago... Juno shook his head as he waited outside the door, eyes opening and flicking up to the purple cast of the TA's insignia adorning the slab of mahogany. What had passed in the month between their meetings surely wasn't pleasant for either of them. It wasn't for him, at the very least. Target practice got tedious quick, he had been challenged by a runner up for the Vytal Festival, and most of all, Caja had been kidnapped by the White Fang, who had demanded that Juno hand over both his suit and Phi, lest they kill her.

It had been a stressful month, and yet, he remained. Caja was alive, He had made a friend in Mithra Ragvos, and the sparring match was inconsequential. And yet... So many things lingered in the back of his mind. Were they really safe from the Fang at Beacon? Were his parents alright? Did Acero make his recovery?

Juno looked down at his scroll to check the time, hoping that he could, at the very least, answer tow of those questions with this meeting, as unpleasant as it was likely to be. Letting out a deep breath, the young man knocked twice before peeking his head through the door, ensuring the TA's presence before striding to her desk and taking a seat in the adjacent chair. "You wanted to see me, Ms. Nahualli?"
Juno Vert: 1st year student of Beacon, Armored leader of Team VCVS

Phi: #007ba7

Nebu Nekhbet: DUAT unit 01: Desegnation RA

Nebu/Rho: #FFD700

Austin Vartra: TBA

Dr. Gustave

• Administrator

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    Forgive me for what I must yabba dabba do
    • View Profile
Re: He Came from Atlas [Closed]
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 06:29:16 PM »
Malina let out a breath as she heard the knock on the door. She knew who it was and although she was a huntress and had, in the past, been more than ready to get into fights and arguments, she wasn't a fan of confrontation anymore. Not on the surface at least.

She slid closed her scroll as Juno entered and moved it to the side of her desk. Her "office" wasn't nearly up to par with the full-time teachers of Beacon and certainly not up there with Alban's office in the tower, but it had been made a little bit better with some personal touches. Originally a fourth-year dorm room, the four beds had been relocated and the four smaller desks replaced with a single larger one positioned in the center of the room with the two large windows overlooking the Beacon campus at its back. Several small succulents sat on the windowsills, basking in the late winter light. To Juno's right and pressed up against the wall next to the door to the bathroom was a comfy looking couch with a large pillow at one end, to his left was a personalized rocketlocker with Malina's symbol on it.

Malina herself was wearing her short cloak and, although Juno couldn't see from behind the desk, she'd opted for pants over a skirt today.

"Right." She said, tapping one finger anxiously as Juno took his seat before suddenly stopping and looking at the door. "Oh, could you leave Phi outside? There should be a chair out there to put the belt on." Seeing obvious worry cross Juno's face, she added, "I promise no one is going to take her."
Spoiler: Atlas • show
Mercenary: Kol Augur ~ The Judicator of Atlas
Speaking: #5C5054 Thinking: #EAC117
Spoiler: Mistral • show
Huntress-in-Training: Aca Roth ~ Member of Team RWND
Speaking: #E05260 Thinking: #EA857F
Huntress-in-Training: Brook Pallas ~ Member of Team CNBR
Speaking: #4863A0 Thinking: #98AFC7
White Fang Captain: Cornix ~ Survivor of Mistral and Captain in Vale
Speaking: #D0DAE0 Thinking: #BCC6CC
Council Member: Phaedo Katsaros ~ Figurehead for Faunus/Human relations
Speaking: #667C26 Thinking: #B6CC76
Spoiler: Vacuo • show
40th Vytal Tournament Champion: Zabar Aga ~ Member of Team DAWN
Speaking: #CD7F32 Thinking: #EE9A4D
Spoiler: Vale • show
Huntress: Malina Nahualli ~ Leader of Team MCCA
Speaking: #B3346C Thinking: #8B0C44
Beacon Professor: Titania Printemps ~ Assistant Headmistress of Beacon Academy
Speaking: #4AA02C Thinking: #E55B3C

Rush

• "Better than Krillin"

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 07:00:46 PM »
The request to leave Phi outside was met with a swift and firm "No." as the young man looked the TA in the eye. Sensing that his response likely wasn't enough, however, he then continued to speak, "Events that have... transpired over the past month have not been kind, and have shown me that Phi is at her safest when with me. Your promise, while touching, isn't enough to convince me to put her out of sight." he replied. Not the best start to what was likely to be a tense conversation, but one that was necessary. After almost losing both Caja and Phi, he couldn't afford to keep either in the hands of those he didn't fully trust. And given the sour note he and Malina left on, he didn't see her as the most viable candidate to put Phi's safety in.

Dr. Gustave

• Administrator

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 07:37:15 PM »
Malina leaned back, crossing her arms and slowly nodding. "This is a conversation I intend on having with both of. Individually. Just like I said back at Amity." She uncrossed her arms and tapped a finger on her right armrest. "So, what do we do about that?" She asked with the slightest bit of annoyance in her voice.

Rush

• "Better than Krillin"

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 09:31:05 PM »
"We have this conversation as is. Anything that must be said to one of us can be said to both of us. Juno replied, his eyes focusing on hers. "So what is it that concerns you about us? The advanced technology? The accident on Amity? Our leave of absence?" He inquired, attempting to maintain a sense of control over the situation.

Dr. Gustave

• Administrator

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 05:48:12 PM »
Malina was silent for a moment before letting out a deep sigh. "Very well." She leaned forward, interlocking her fingers and placing them on the desk in the most teacher-esque pose she could come up with. "In that case, I want you both to take part in the conversation, not just one of you talking for the both of you, understood?" The look on Juno's face was all the answer she needed as she quickly added, "Good."

"I don't know how much Phi told you about our talk in the stands during your match but I'll give you the basic run down." Malina slid the scroll back to the center of the table, opened it into its tablet mode, and turned it toward Juno. On it were photos of his fights against Xanh, Jack, Zabar, and Acero taken from what appeared to be television cameras or security cameras.

"The purpose of the training exercise I conducted at Amity was to get students out of their comfort zone when training with weapons. Your weapons of choice are your hard light and rifle. I'll tell you the same thing I told Phi. Xanh loses her weapons, she can pick up something similar in the weight class or try to find other kama. Jack loses his grenades, he can try to find others or just continue with his fists. Zabar loses his gauntlets, he can use his fists or find something else to add to his hands. Acero loses his weapon and he can find a sword, greatsword, or polearm and have a pretty good idea of how to use it. I lose my staff and I can find a spear, polearm, or tonfa to replace it with." As she spoke, she swiped through images of the fights on the screen showing Juno's four opponents before ending on a shot of Juno, hard light sword in hand, surrounded by swirling sand.

"You lose Phi and your gun, you not only lose your second set of eyes, you not only lose your weapons, you can only replace the gun with the basics understood. Hard light doesn't have weight, it can't simulate weight, and it doesn't prepare you for the weight of a real weapon. You lose that generator and try to pick up a sword, all that muscle memory of how to swing a sword goes straight out the window."

Malina locked eyes with the first year and leaned back into her seat once more. "During my time at Beacon I saw a lot of people get complacent with their weapons and I've heard about a lot of those people dying. I have no intention of letting that happen while I'm here."

Rush

• "Better than Krillin"

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 06:33:19 PM »
Juno remained silent, his brow furrowing as the TA went on and on. It wasn't a conversation he was unfamiliar with, Phi had already given him the sitrep on what had happened while he was fighting Acero. That wasn't to say he was fine with having it again, however. The implication that Phi was holding him back was troubling to him, but... unfortunately plausible. However, he couldn't allow her to leave his possession. He already got this far with her, and starting again would take to long. Not to mention what would happen to her if someone else got their hands on her...

Nevertheless, he took his time in considering a response, pausing as Phi took a seat on his shoulder. "Are you suggesting that I abandon Phi?" he inquired, breathing deeply as he could feel the small hand of Phi's avatar grip his shirt that much tighter.

Dr. Gustave

• Administrator

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 07:03:46 PM »
"Not at all." Malina closed her scroll and slid it back off to the side of the desk. "I'm suggesting the same thing I had suggested to Phi during our talk, that you shouldn't rely on each other as a crutch that, if taken away, will cause you both to fail because at this point you will." She paused for a moment and glanced off to the locker. "Worse comes to pass out there and you lose Phi, you're just going to weigh down your teammates. A gun and hand to hand are nice but they aren't enough to stop Grimm. Not out there."

Malina paused again before adding, "I guess that's something that can be said about a lot of students though."

Rush

• "Better than Krillin"

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 02:20:12 AM »
”If the same can be said for most students, then that can’t be all you want to talk about. We’ve been through this part already. Phi replied before Juno could open his mouth to speak, a notable edge of frustration to her voice. What Malina had dragged them here for had to be something else, lest she be wasting their time with conversations they had already had.

”Miss Nahualli, what is this really about?”

Dr. Gustave

• Administrator

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 02:27:41 AM »
Malina pursed her lips and looked at the small avatar. She was silent for a moment, gathering her thoughts, considering Phi, considering Juno. Finally, she broke the silence with another drawn-out sigh. "Like I told Phi at Amity, I am very thankful for your honesty about your... origins. The problem I take is I did nothing to earn that honesty. If I was given the benefit of the doubt on this matter, I find it hard that other figures of authority would not be far behind. I have nothing to gain by reporting your crimes, nor selling information on Phi, but you may find that others will." Malina's furrowed her brow and glanced at the door. "Not just those you tell. This school is, quite literally, filled with students with extraordinary powers. Even if you're careful not to talk when anyone else is around, it's not outside the realm of possibility that someone may be listening in with their semblance."

She tapped her finger against the hard wood of the desk three times in thought, staring directly down at it before returning her eyes to Juno. "Many-" Malina caught herself and shook her head once. "Some of the students here have... less than honorable goals. Some are only here to get stronger, some are here to get skills that can be used in the criminal underworld, some of them are even members of the White Fang. I'm sure you've heard the stories from Mistral and from here? I shouldn't have to tell you that you don't want to get into hot water with them. Their recent push to look like freedom fighters is nothing but bullshit."

"And none of this is limited to Beacon," Malina spoke with an almost half-chuckle. "no matter where you go, there will always be someone willing to sell you out, and you won't be able to best them forever, no matter who you are."

Rush

• "Better than Krillin"

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 06:01:42 PM »
As Malina spoke, Juno felt the urge to interrupt diminishing. As much as he didn't like it, everything she said was backed up by truth, not baseless fear and conjecture as he had thought. Once the TA had finished, both Juno and Phi sat silently, unable to find the words to respond. On the one hand, their worries had been dismissed, and quite handily, too. Malina showed no intention of separating the two, which was beyond a relief. Hell, as far as he could tell, she was looking out for him. However, there was a good chance someone else would want the AI, something the two had witnessed firsthand. Eventually, Juno found the ability to speak up, taking a deep breath before doing so. "We already know about the White fang." he started, sitting up just a bit straighter.

"While you were on mission, a group of White Fang members broke into the apartment Caja was staying in and kidnapped her, stating that they would only give her back if I went to Mistral and handed over my tech. Since we're having this conversation, you can guess that my team and I were successful in recovering her without having to give into their demands, but... So many things could have gone wrong. I didn't know what to do at first." he stated, shifting his eyes away from Malina's own.

"I'm still unsure of what to do. We got lucky with Caja." he eventually finished, drumming his fingers against his thigh in anticipation as he looked up.

Dr. Gustave

• Administrator

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 08:21:21 PM »
Malina simply raised an eyebrow as the student spoke, letting him get his story out completely before swallowing and furrowing her brow. She looked down at her desk for a good long moment, lost in thought. Juno, Phi, White Fang, Mistral, and Caja. The thoughts raced through her head, the last an unknown. An old friend of Juno's perhaps. Either way, the Fang knew about Juno's suit, tech, and, possibly worst of all, Phi. Not only that, they had gone to the lengths of actually stringing them along to Mistral.

Malina let out another sigh.That was dangerous. That could have gone wrong in too many ways.

She raised her head to look at Juno and Phi. They were capable, sure, but they weren't capable enough to deal with any of the Fang's hard hitters. Not yet. They must have run into one of the captains or lieutenants. 'Thank the gods for small favors...' she mused as she thought back to her mission to Jackson, to the fight she had there.

She shook the thought from her head, that wasn't important now. There was still one thing, one important thing, she needed to know.

"Where in Mistral?"

Rush

• "Better than Krillin"

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 02:44:15 PM »
"Windpath." Phi replied before Juno could even open his mouth to speak, prompting the young man to glance over at her. Feeling a need to elaborate, Juno considered his response for a few seconds before speaking.

"Somehow, they had gotten Caja all the way to Windpath without alerting anyone. I don't have an address to where she was held, but I have a general idea of how to get there from the port." To be frank, that was as much as he could remember about where it was. At the time, his focus was on far more pressing matters, most notable of which being Caja's well-being. In retrospect, it would have been a better call were he to instruct Phi to note the facility's address, but there wasn't anything he could do about that matter now.

Dr. Gustave

• Administrator

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 09:34:28 AM »
A sigh of relief slipped from Malina's lips. Bad still, yes, but far from the worst of it. "I'll tell you what," she began to say slowly, choosing her word carefully, "as the current situation is... unique, I think I can have something arranged." She grabbed her scroll and slid it away from Juno and toward her, swiping away from the photos and into the contacts. "I can't promise anything, but my old teammate may be able to let Caja stay with her for the time being. I'm pretty sure there isn't anyone in the valish branch of the fang that can take her on in one on one and she could probably even hold her own against a group of the stronger ones." It wasn't a perfect arrangement, she knew that, but hopefully enough.

She set her scroll back down after sending "Need to talk later" to Carmine. "Getting back onto the topic at hand, since I assume you're not in immediate danger now, this is exactly what I was worried about. This isn't going to go away, information is like lien to the white fang, trading some info in exchange for something they want to know. Word is going to get around, slowly probably, but it will get around. I can't, as an assistant teacher at Beacon, condone you going on any missions outside of kingdom territory."

She paused, letting the words sink in before continuing. "As a huntress, on the other hand, I think that the best course of action is to put a stop to the problem before it gets to the point where it's impossible to handle. Unfortunately... it is the fang. I..." She paused again and a frown crossed her face for a split moment, "I know better than most that they aren't a group you can just get a group of hunters and organize strikes against to take down. Not to even mention we don't know where any of the local bases of operation are."

Malina folded her hands and locked eyes with Juno, glanced to Phi, and then back to Juno. "So I'm open to any suggestions as to how to help remedy this situation because right now the best option looks hiding out or continually fighting off people trying to get Phi."
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 09:49:50 AM by Dr. Gustave »

Rush

• "Better than Krillin"

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 11:17:07 AM »
A sigh of relief left the young man's lips, grateful that he wasn't chewed out for not having an exact location, only to perk up when Caja was mentioned. The news that she would be safe for the time being was incredibly reassuring, and the young man visibly relaxed when the arrangements seemed to have been made, offering a short "Thank you." in response. However, the topic soon changed, and all he could do was listen. After all, she was right. Information regarding his suit would spread, and the fang would keep coming after him and Caja until they got Phi and murdered both of them. Of course, if this were to stop in his favor, they'd have to snuff out the Fang, first. A tall order, to say the least, but not a sentiment he held on his own.

His eyes, however, lit up when she mentioned a lack of information regarding WF outposts in Vale. After his and Caja's fight with Cerdic, the lieutenant had started to give information on one of their bases before succumbing to a terrible case of "choking on his own blood". It was't an area he had scouted out yet, but it was... something.

"If we decide to go on the offensive, I might have an idea of where one of their strongholds is located." he replied, taking a second to mull over his words. "I've been told that they have numerous operations in the shipyards, namely around the dockside warehouses. It's not an area I've scouted out yet, but it's something."