Author Topic: Switcheroo: Malina/Phi  (Read 10404 times)

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    Forgive me for what I must yabba dabba do
    • View Profile
Switcheroo: Malina/Phi
« on: July 02, 2017, 01:45:28 AM »
Malina smiled and nodded, wishing Juno luck as he walked away after having handed her his belt. She made a note of it's surprising weight as she walked away from the arena floor and toward the hallway leading to the stairs to the stands surrounding the floor. A hardlight generator being used as a weapon was certainly creative, she thought as she closed the door behind her and moving onto the stairs, though that certainly wasn't what had interested her when she was looking over the student files the day prior.

The woman stopped on the first landing of the steps and held the belt up in the air, backlighting with one of the ceiling lights, and began to look over the edges of the belt. She scrunched her mouth up, finding little in the way of a display or labeled buttons, and lowered the belt down and let it rest in her arms.

Malina looked around for a moment, looking down the hallways for any wayward janitor or sightseer before returning her gaze to the belt and speaking.

"Hello?"
Atlas: ShowHide
Mercenary: Kol Augur ~ The Judicator of Atlas
Speaking: #5C5054 Thinking: #EAC117

Mistral: ShowHide
Huntress-in-Training: Aca Roth ~ Member of Team RWND
Speaking: #E05260 Thinking: #EA857F
Huntress-in-Training: Brook Pallas ~ Member of Team CNBR
Speaking: #4863A0 Thinking: #98AFC7
Council Member: Phaedo Katsaros ~ Figurehead for Faunus/Human relations
Speaking: #667C26 Thinking: #B6CC76

Vacuo: ShowHide
40th Vytal Tournament Champion: Zabar Aga ~ Member of Team DAWN
Speaking: #CD7F32 Thinking: #EE9A4D

Vale: ShowHide
Huntress: Malina Nahualli-Roth ~ Leader of Team MCCA
Speaking: #993A64 Thinking: #8B0C44
Beacon Professor: Titania Printemps ~ Assistant Headmistress of Beacon Academy
Speaking: #4AA02C Thinking: #E55B3C
Drop-out: Durian Ghede ~ Former leader of team DFDL
Speaking: #E1BD27 Thinking: #AF8B00

Zwei Not

• "Better than Krillin"

• Personal Text
    The man your man could post like
    • View Profile
Re: Switcheroo: Malina/Phi
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 04:36:52 PM »
To say Phi was disappointed that she couldn't participate in the weapons swap would be a bit of an understatement, but it was understandable. The OSIRIS generator was a complex piece of machinery that took Juno months to become adept with and much longer to master. Someone picking it up for the first time wouldn't have the slightest clue what to do. And while she could trust someone like Malina to be careful with her rig...

Phi wanted to protest once Malina snuck into the hallways of Amity Coliseum, but that could have started a scene. Not that her existence was a secret to begin with, but she really wanted to see how Juno did without her, and her protests would have fallen on deaf ears, anyway, as it seemed Malina had wanted to get away from the students with Phi as soon as possi-

Wait, was she being stolen? Oh, no. Nonononononononono. She wasn't just gonna let herself be taken away from Juno to be disassembled or sold on some black market or whatever. She was gonna fight back. All she needed was an opening, a time to surprise the huntress and get out of the-

"Hello?"

Phi paused as Malina spoke, taking a moment to think over the situation. The TA seemed to be addressing her, and given that she had looked about the area before hand, there is a possibility Phi might have misinterpreted Malina's intentions. Cautious as she projected her avatar atop the generator, Phi looked the TA in the eye as she sat down, her legs hanging off of the edge of thr generator. "Hello." She replied, a cold, cautious edge to her voice.
Juno Varia: The Street Punk

Juno Vert: 1st year student of Beacon, Armored leader of Team VCVS

Phi: #007ba7

Nebu Nekhbet: DUAT unit 01: Desegnation RA

Nebu/Rho: #FFD700

Austin Vartra: TBA

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 02:13:47 PM »
Malina smiled softly, hiding her own slight surprise despite having read the file. "You're smaller than I imagined you'd be." She said almost matter-of-factly as she finally took her gaze off of the belt and began making her way up the stairs. "I'm not sure how much you're aware of down there in the belt but just in case you didn't know, my name is Malina. And you are Phi... Of course you knew that." She glanced down toward the small blue avatar as she reached the second landing and moved her head just a bit closer to her, lowering her voice slightly. "You know, the file also describes you as AI-like. Tania seems to think you're more than that though and after reading some of the missions reports, I'm inclined to agree."

Malina lifted her head back up and began making her way up the stairs again. "The be blunt, I wanted to know more about this- about you."

Zwei Not

• "Better than Krillin"

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 03:46:38 PM »
Oh, these two were going to get along swimmingly, Phi could already tell. Letting out a light sigh as Malina voiced her intentions, Phi looked the Teacher's Assistant in the eye. "So. What you're telling me is that you basically kidnapped me and dragged me out into the hallway just to ask what I am?" Phi questioned, giving Malina very little time to respond before continuing. "You'd think someone of your caliber and experience would have a bit more tact, instead of putting me through this bullshit just to know what's already obvious." With her tirade out of the way, Phi stood up onto the generator and walked up Malina's arm, stopping at her shoulder and motioning for her to lean in. "You wanna know what I am?" she whispered, looking around their general area as if to ensure that the coast was clear.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 07:33:13 PM by Rush »

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 09:05:05 PM »
Malina chuckled softly as she turned her head slightly to look at Phi. "I wouldn't call being given the belt to keep the other student from breaking it kidnapping, you know." She said flatly before glancing ahead once more as she rounded the final landing of the stairs and made her way towards the exit leading to the stands. "And yes, if that wasn't clear already."

Zwei Not

• "Better than Krillin"

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 09:30:11 PM »
"I AM AN A.I.! Artificial Intelligence! What part of that is under any sort of question?" Phi all but yelled into the huntress' ear, huffing as she took a seat on the woman's shoulder. "I'm just a really smart, really complex A.I. Like a conscience in a computer chip." she continued, gesturing to her head as she mentioned having a conscience. "Juno's file should already state my directive, so I don't think I need to explain that to you."

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 12:15:47 PM »
Malina winced slightly as she was berated in the middle of sitting down before actually being seated and leaning back into the backrest. She was silent for a moment, observing the fight from the stands and watching the two students move with unfamiliar weapons, before turning once more to Phi. "I already told you what Juno's file states." An annoyed look crossing her face for just a second before falling back to the neutral face she'd had on before. "If you're as smart as you and the file claims than you should know that you're not..." She paused for a moment, looking for the right wording. "You're not common. The most advanced combat AI I've had the pleasure of facing in combat was the AK-200b and that thing was no match for a hunter. Hell, a student could beat that."

Malina turned back to the fight below her and watched Juno just barely dodge a barrage of bombs. "He seems to be handling himself pretty well against a fourth year. Are you worried about him being in the fight without you?"
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 11:47:51 PM by Dr. Gustave »

Zwei Not

• "Better than Krillin"

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 11:32:44 PM »
"An out-of-shape mall cop with a taser could beat a 200b." Phi replied with a chuckle, turning her attention to the fight. As the first and fourth year traded blows, Phi fell silent, awkwardly shuffling about as she watched Juno and Acero's bout. Whether or not Malina noticed Phi's growing frown, the AI was still somewhat surprised when asked if she was concerned. Taking a moment to mull over the question, Phi eventually spoke up. "Well... Yeah. I know I shouldn't be, we've fought together for a long time. I am well aware of his physical capabilities, as well as his strategies, both preplanned and improvised... But... He doesn't have me watching his back now. He's on his own, fighting someone who is probably leagues above him in terms of straight power, and I can't help." After stealing a glance at the huntress, Phi let out a long, drawn out sigh. "Just... I know he can do well without me, but I know I'd feel better if I was out there with him, yknow?"

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 12:59:26 AM »
Malina nodded silently as the fight continued. It was an understandable sentiment for sure. "I think a lot of us feel the same way when our teammates or friends are out on the battlefield. Not wanting to see them hurt is basic instinct." She said calmly before returning to silence, watching Phi shuffle from the corner of her eye. She let the silence sit a moment longer as Juno and Acero continued to trade blows and dodge each others attacks before turning her head fully to face Phi. "How do you think he'll do? Without you, I mean. As far as I can tell from the records, you've never been apart on a mission, he's always had you to back him up." The girl paused, looking directly into Phi's artificial eyes for a moment before turning her head back to the fight.

"Not everyone gets that privilege."

Zwei Not

• "Better than Krillin"

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 03:48:18 PM »
"Hmm... I honestly don't know." Phi started as she focused her attention to the fight, eyes narrowing as her gaze turned to Acero. "Physically, the two are more or less evenly matched. Acero's enhancements would provide an edge in terms of raw power output but he is also hindered by his inability to use any form of weaponry within his enhancements. However, in terms of skill and experience... Acero is leagues above, no matter how long Juno and I spent learning the suit. He is just toying with Juno. He has to be. A fourth year wouldn't just let a first year get this far if they were taking the fight seriously in the slightest." Phi reasoned, glancing up at Malina once she had thrown out her analysis of the fight, awaiting her response.

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 06:03:01 PM »
Malina nodded silently once more and responded without so much as a glance at Phi, keeping her gaze locked on the fight. "I glanced over most of the students files on the ride over here... well, the ones I had access to anyway. atlas can be pretty stingy about their student records... regardless, most of them were just glanced over, others I read a bit more into, as you know by now." She lifted her hand and trained her finger on Acero as he tossed out a set of bombs. "Many students go through their four years without changing up their weaponry and focusing only on what they have, either by choice or because their weapon is quite literally part of them, and he fits into both those categories. I'll admit, having three forms and a backup weapon is better than a lot of the students that come through here, but it's been four years of just that. He's gotten good at it, sure, but looking at his file, he didn't train with much else, and certainly nothing intensively. So now he's got gauntlets with a grappling hook and bombs..." She paused for a moment and lifted her finger to her chin.

"I mean pretty much anyone can throw a bomb." Malina said, shrugging her shoulders. "But there's still some finesse in how you use them. Now, Juno..." She took her finger from her chin and pointed toward the other combatant. "He's even less versatile." Her voice dropped slightly and her face had a more stern look about it. "He's got you and a gun. A gun is fine, you won't be able to pick up any other gun and immediately understand how to use it perfectly, but you'll have the basics down, it wouldn't be too difficult to find a different firearm... but you..."

Malina laid her hand down on the belt that rested on her lap and turned to look to Phi. "We already know you're not common. Hell, I could go as far as to call you unique for all I know. If Acero was separated from his weapons, he can find a sword, greatsword, or polearm and have a pretty good idea on how to use them well. If his laser was disabled, he could still use that arm to do some pretty good damage... if he lost the arm... well.. I wouldn't fault anyone for retreating after losing an arm, cybernetic or not. If Juno loses you, he can't just pick up another weapon are start swinging it around. Hardlight isn't training him for the weight of a real sword or the weight of any weapon for that matter. He losses you, and all he's got is hand to hand training, and that won't help against an opponent in the real world that has a weapon they know how to use and it sure as hell won't stop many Grimm..."

Malina stared into the AI's eyes for a moment longer before looking away with an exasperated sigh. "Right now, we've got someone with bombs and hand to hand power through a prosthetic and four years of combat experience up against someone with a hand to hand prowess. The odds are in Acero's favor, but if Juno plays it smart and defensive he might be able to pull it off."

Zwei Not

• "Better than Krillin"

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 10:57:38 PM »
As Malina spoke, an increasing look of worry crossed Phi's face, the realization of how outclassed Juno was finally sinking in. Her operator was far out of his league, and there was no way that she could help him. No weapons, no suggestions... She could only sit there and watch. So there she sat, biting her lip and clenching her fists as she watched the fight continue.

She tensed up as Juno lost the weapon again, only able to watch as Juno taunted and dodged, hoping to bait his opponent into range. Maybe... Maybe Malina was right. Years of training with hardlight had not prepared Juno for much else. Sure, he got a lucky shot off with the sniper rifle, but now, even that was gone. All he had was his fists and his wits, against someone with stronger fists, faster wits, and actual weapons. "So... You're saying I've been holding him back?" She started, her voice trembling a bit as she looked up at the TA.

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 01:15:07 AM »
Malina was silent for some time, watching the two students exchange blows. She sighed quietly as she leaned back against the seat rest, running her fingers through her hair before slowly shaking her head. "No, not holding him back." She glanced to her side once more and looked toward Phi. "Maybe making him complacent, but not holding him back." She chuckled quietly. "Hell, if I had someone watching my back 24/7 I'd be much better off in the field... that said, I would suggest some time apart. Maybe not literally, maybe just have sessions or a low risk mission where you just don't assist him, have him train with a real sword more often, or just have a backup weapon. Keep doing what you are now and he'll get dependent on hardlight and you to back him up."

Malina paused for another moment, trying to find the right words while she looked back toward the fight. "... Everyone loses someone in this job. I don't think there's a hunter in history that hasn't lost a friend or family member out on a job. Worst come to worst and you're kidnapped, disabled... whatever... Juno'll be back to where he was before he got you to help him out, albeit a bit smarter."
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 10:18:57 PM by Dr. Gustave »

Zwei Not

• "Better than Krillin"

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 06:15:58 PM »
"I guess...  I could lay off a bit... Let him train with Calesvol." Phi trailed off, pursing her lips as she avoided eye contact with Malina. "I know he's capable, and he's definitely strong. His standing in the tournament is a testament to both. I just... I need to be with him, but I don't want his progress to be impeded by me. And I don't want him to outgrow me or see me as obselete..." Phi trailed off, squeezing her eyes shut as she mentioned the possibility of being seen as unnecessary.

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 10:17:49 PM »
Malina looked toward Phi for a moment before looking back away. She furrowed her brow as she thought to herself, staying silent as the only sound in the arena were the grunts and hits from the fight, the sound of explosions echoing throughout the large structure. "How..." She began before cutting herself off, and raising her hand to her mouth, covering it in thought.

Finally, she sighed and took her hand away. "How old are you?"