Author Topic: Under the Vacuan Stars (Shade Academy rooftops) [Open]  (Read 2264 times)

OmegaX123

• View Profile
Under the Vacuan Stars (Shade Academy rooftops) [Open]
« on: May 22, 2017, 11:38:05 PM »
Almost a year has passed since that one Vytal Tournament. Wonder how everyone's doing back in Vale? Martin thought to himself, scarf (a replacement, since as far as he knows, Sakura still has the one he wore to Vytal) draped over his face. He pulls it down off one eye, and looks east towards the sky over Vale. Wonder if she's looking at the stars too... What are the odds we'd both be looking at the same one? He pulls his jacket tighter around himself, to brace against the harsh, cold, Vacuan desert night, and closes his eyes.

((It just occurred to me that the tag I had in the title could have been misread as being a team name. Corrected it to what it actually is, namely an 'anyone can join in' tag.))
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 11:26:50 AM by OmegaX123 »
Martin Roja - 1st2nd-year student nosey-pants (see "Chasing Shadows" for details) of ShadeBeacon Academy (see "Under the Vacuan Stars" and "Immigration Blues" for details)

OmegaX123

• View Profile
Re: Under the Vacuan Stars (Shade Academy rooftops) [Open]
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 08:00:09 PM »
Martin's scroll pulsed, and he rose out of a half-sleep. He stared at the scroll for a moment, before it clicked with him who was calling.

"Mom? Is everything alright?" She rarely called unless there was an emergency, or unless he had forgotten her - or his own, or his missing sister's - birthday.

"Everything's fine, Martin," came the voice from the other end. His mother, Blaze Roja, was a beautiful woman, for her age and the hard life she had led, and Martin could see from the earnest sparkle in her pale orange eyes that she wasn't lying, to spare his feelings or for any other reason.

"So why are you calling?" He asked. "Not that I'm not glad to hear from you or anything, but I mean it's a pretty rare thing hearing from you when I'm off at school."

"I've gotten a job offer," she replied.

"That's great news, mom!" Martin smiled broadly, the shine in his own gray eyes threatened to outshine the one in his mother's.

"It's outside the kingdom," she said, sounding less enthusiastic than before.

"Where at?"

"It's in Vale."

Martin's heart made two very opposite moves at those words. First it leapt into his throat - if his mother took the job, and he went with her, he'd get to see all the friends he made in Vale during the Vytal Tournament again - and then sunk into the pit of his stomach - if they left, they'd be as good as abandoning his sister for dead.

"Martin? I guess it's my turn to ask you if everything's alright," Blaze laughed hollowly.

"Just... there's so many reasons we - you should go, but then... Cerise..."

"Martin... I know you miss her, but it's been five years... If she's still out there,
 well... she'll have learned to take care of herself, and... would she even recognize us?
" A tear fell from Blaze's eye to match the one in Martin's. "I don't want to leave her any more than you do, but I have to think about us now, keep us alive. You're a grown man now, if you want to stay and keep looking, you're more than welcome to. I hope you do find her, and you can bring her home. But I can't stay here and mourn forever, I need to earn a living, provide for you and myself,
 and if I have to go to Vale to do it, then that's what I'll do.
"

Martin fell silent for a moment, and then: "Yeah... You're right. There's more reasons to go, for both of us, than there are to stay." He smiled a broad, fake smile, putting on a strong face for his mother. "I have some acquaintances here, I'll ask them to keep a look out when they're patrolling. They know how to reach me, if they find her they can give me a call."

---

A few days later, after requesting a transfer, Martin and his mother had boarded a transport to Vale, to begin their new lives. Her at the Dust shop "From Dust Till Dawn", and him as a student at Beacon Academy.
Martin Roja - 1st2nd-year student nosey-pants (see "Chasing Shadows" for details) of ShadeBeacon Academy (see "Under the Vacuan Stars" and "Immigration Blues" for details)