Author Topic: Stargazing [Open]  (Read 24341 times)

L-Money

• View Profile
Re: Stargazing [Open]
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2018, 12:48:07 AM »
Billy looked at Calen's clothes and smirked.
"Well, that explains uh... that." She remarked, nodding to his clothes.

After Prism explained why she was out there, Billy nodded sympathetically.
"I know what you mean. Sleep doesn't come easy sometimes."

Billy gently took the rope from Calen.
"If I'm going to do the running trick,  I'm going to need to do it on the pipes. They are a bit more sturdy than people. I bet after a few tries, my aura will recharge and I can try running and lassoing yall."

Billy then turned and lassoed the pipe and tried the trick. She looped the rope around her waist, then tried running a semi-circle around the pipe. It would make a turn a bit faster but it also did strain her waist. She then tried running straight until the last minute and grabbed the rope, and swung around. It looked pretty cool.
Beacon First Year Student:
Leona Koningsblauw Profile Team LGGR
Billy Bone Profile Team BSSM
Attom Goldwyn profile CAST

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2018, 09:05:03 AM »
'There are a few tonics to help with sleep, some don't even include alcohol. I could craft one for either of you, it's not a significant bother.' Calen responded with some degree of concern. The gaunt boy had never had an issue with sleeping, in fact was a little envious of others darkness rebelling so openly against them unlike his own which always sat a little too comfortably silent.

Calen applauded softly as Billy landed the trick. 'Congratulations Miss Bone, a difficult maneuver to be sure but your hand stayed true. I'm sure it will serve you well in the future.' Calen remarked with exaggerated pomp. 'So how did the rope feel in your hand? How does it compare to your semblance?' Calen quizzed as he settled back leaning against the outer wall. An intuitive fighter Calen placed a significant weight on ephemeral concepts like the feel or texture of a fighting style and was always curious how other people interpreted it.

'Have you thought about leaving a key by the door, you could bolt a safe to a nearby wall and then you just have to remember the pass code?' Calen offered finally turning back to Prism . 'Or is there another reason you are so often left alone on your perch Gusty Mcbreezy.'
No criticism is too harsh so hit me with your best shot.

Calen Shrike - ASTC - First Year Beacon.

Saffron de Cortez - SALT - Third Year Atlas.

Amarant Lovis - (formerly of)ACCE - Headmaster of Atlas Academy

Ramalia - RASB - First Year Shade

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2018, 03:28:13 PM »
A cheer goes up as Billy successfully completes the trick, Prism's grin wide as the other fox faunus quickly mastered the new lasso. "Not bad, Billy! Sure picked up on it intuitively, too. Gotta say, that's pretty impressive sis! Let us know when you need those new targets." She takes the opportunity to plop down on the half-wall on the edge of the roof, stretching out the wings on her back as she continues to watch Billy's tricks with amusement.

There's a light snort at Calen's new nickname for her. "Turnabout's fair play I guess - though I'll pass on the tonic Calen, thanks for the offer. Get by fine enough, and only occasionally pass out from exhaustion!" There's obvious humor in Prism's last sentence, trying to bypass her apparent insomnia with a joke. "And I mean, I'm usually not too forgetful - just out late. No point in lying around for hours if I know I'm not gonna sleep, so I just spend it elsewhere, and usually more productively." The last part is added with a nonchalant shrug.
Prism Skylark - Beacon First Year, Winged Sharpshooter and Leader of Team CASA (Casanova) #ffffff

Chantou Rou - Beacon First Year, Insect-Eyed Rebel of Team LGGR (Lager) #ff82a4

Albrecht Clodwal - Beacon First Year, White Knight Nice-Guy of Team CNRS (Cinerous) #00a4a4

Azre and Erza Sundown- Shade First Years, Fallen Stars of Team RASB (Raspberry) #fe2d00, #feab00

Jima Purpora - Beacon Third Year, Grimm-Obsessed Scholar of Team PLSM (Plasma) #6e3aa8

L-Money

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2018, 10:52:22 PM »
"I guess I have to pull and let the rope get pulled at the same time. If that makes sense. The rope is stretchier than my semblance. I don't know how to describe it, but the rope doesn't pull my whole body the same as my semblance does. The rope feels a bit stronger than my semblance for some reason. I don't know why, either." Billy replied to Calen as she gathered the rope back up.

"I don't have insomnia. Just the first mission jitters. Just practicing helps me calm down, when I'm doing it right. Heh." She says with a little laugh. She passes the rope to Prism.

"Tell your friend I said thanks. So I think I should get a little shut-eye before the sun comes up. It was nice meeting yall." She says as she tips her hat to the pair of them.
Beacon First Year Student:
Leona Koningsblauw Profile Team LGGR
Billy Bone Profile Team BSSM
Attom Goldwyn profile CAST

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2018, 10:02:32 AM »
'Another reason why it might be worth testing out different ropes, might be able to carry some of their attributes on to your semblance. However best to leave on a success, good night Miss Bones.' Calen responded giving Billy an exaggerated bow and flourish. The tiredness had well and truly sunk in for Calen and he slumped back deeper into the wall, being disappointed that Prism hadn't bitten back had robbed the gaunt boy of much of his enthusiasm still he couldn't resist one last chance for conflict. 

'Well if you ever want a more direct way to exhaust yourself feel free to ask, it's only fair to give you a chance to change my ringtone after all. By the way I hope that isn't causing you any serious issues.' Calen remarked slowly stood, his thin body swaying in exhaustion. 'Regardless we should have a sit down later, you may be able to run on fumes but my team can barely deal with me normally and I would hardly wish to impose a grumpier version on them although it is unfortunate all of our discussions seen to stop just before they get interesting.'

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2018, 03:37:27 PM »
"Will do! Hope you get the trick down proper, and sleep well." Prism replies, taking the rope and giving the girl a mock-salute with two fingers as she heads off to sleep. She turns to Calen as he speaks, tilting her head curiously at his words.

"It's proven occasionally awkward, especially when I forget to turn off the ringtone in class, so a rematch would be appreciated. I have a few ideas as to what we could match wits on at least. Though frankly, it may be best to wait until you can stand straight - I'm fairly certain you could be knocked over by a strict breeze at this point." She nods in Calen's direction, carefully keeping an eye on his swaying lest he fall over. "Besides, you know what they say - birds of a feather flock together, so it'd only make sense to come together again eventually, huh Mr. Shrike?" Her last words cause her to give something of a wiry grin, pleased with herself at the awful pun.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 11:31:53 PM by Moth »
Prism Skylark - Beacon First Year, Winged Sharpshooter and Leader of Team CASA (Casanova) #ffffff

Albrecht Clodwal - Beacon First Year, White Knight Nice-Guy of Team CNRS (Cinerous) #00a4a4

Azre and Erza Sundown- Shade First Years, Fallen Stars of Team RASB (Raspberry) #fe2d00, #feab00

Jima Purpora - Beacon Third Year, Grimm-Obsessed Scholar of Team PLSM (Plasma) #6e3aa8

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2018, 11:27:14 PM »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 10:57:33 PM by . »

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2018, 06:11:54 AM »
Until the cat comes. Calen finishes internally, lost for a few moments in thought. Thinking back to his 'flock' before ASTC, before Beacon caused memories Calen had hoped to keep buried to surface even if only for a moment. The gaunt boy knew he wouldn't sleep like this wrestling with himself, perhaps he should try Prism here's trick, exhaustion. 'And blood is thicker than water but the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb.' Calen responded still half inside his own head matching Prism's phrase in similar but distinctly non-familial aspect. And like a magician snapped their fingers Calen was back, his eyes regaining their fierce almost hungry intensity.

'Well I'm interested Prisim and it's a still enough night so as long as your aren't tempted to play around with your semblance I should be safe enough.' Calen smiled, it was an odd expression on his gaunt face isolated solely around his mouth becoming only more obvious due to his almost glowing eyes. 'Considering you chose the challenge last time it is only fair that I have a turn. Wits are a good idea perhaps a riddle off? We could be ancient creatures long forgotten elevated far beyond the need for physical violence and instead settle quarrels with a quick turn of phrase and clever rhyme. Or... Calen paused dramatically. 'You are a marksman right? Or markswoman I suppose... let's go with sharpshooter. How about a little bit of target practice, the gym isn't fair and there is a coffee machine.'

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2018, 11:39:22 AM »
Prism stares curiously as Calen seemingly disappears into memory for a moment, an eyebrow raising at the seemingly random quote. Note to self, don't make bird puns around Calen anymore. Her hand raises slightly, as if to wave in front of his far-off gaze - but it's lowered as his attention returns to the present, almost leaning back a bit at the intensity of his gaze. She simply nods in response to his proposed challenges, but the corner of her mouth quirks up at the proposition of a shooting contest. And coffee, too!

"You flatter me Speedy, but maybe that first challenge that's for another time. Target practice is a bit more up my alley, anyways." She hops up, stepping up onto the wall as she speaks."Should I nab my rifle, or do you have another idea in mind? I've got decent aim with a few other things - though if you'd really like to assure a level playing field, I'm sure there's guns we could borrow at the training range..." She drifts off in thought for another moment, before one last thing occurs to her - and turns to Calen, offering him her hand. "You need a lift down, or do you have a landing strategy?"

...another note to self, try not to make Calen smile.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 11:15:09 PM by Moth »

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2018, 01:32:43 PM »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 10:54:12 PM by . »

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2018, 12:45:54 AM »
(More than welcome although it's still pretty early in the morning)

'You delaying will only give me more time to think up riddles but then again who said a little challenge ever hurt anyone. But yes your rifle and anything you normally use to shoot.' Calen remarked as he stretched himself out. 'And I appreciate the gesture but I have to swing by my room to pick up a few things first, as gives me time to think up the specifics about the challenge.' Racing away with his own semblance quickly changed back into his normal suit, compete with green tie and matching hankerchief, as well as more importantly his knives. Spending a little extra time to brew some coffee adding copious amounts honey and kahula to keep himself awake and not have to drink coffee machine coffee.

Arriving at the shooting range there was a surprisingly a few people at the shooting range, including Prism's team mate Amane who Calen gave a polite wave, considering the sun wasn't up yet. Well considering they were all training to save humanity maybe it wasn't that surprising that people took their skills seriously. Sitting down at one of the nearby tables Calen poured himself one of his cocktails and started thinking about how the challenge would go. Any sort of conventional competition would leave Calen at a distinct disadvantage because of the innate differences between a sniper rifle and throwing knives as well as Prism's probable superior skill. No matter how hard he tried to think of a way to turn the challenge in his favour Calen was unable to without warping the definition of 'target practice' beyond recognition. It wouldn't be the first time the gaunt boy's over confidence had put him in an almost unwinnable situation but there are different ways to define victory.

Taking another sip from his 'coffee' Calen looked around for Prism, half-thinking he should call the faunus just to hear the ringtone once more.

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2018, 01:41:38 AM »
(Go ahead Inex!)

"Don't think too hard, you don't want to hurt yourself." Her final words to Calen are teasing, nearly in singsong before she turns away. Simply stepping off the roof with no regard to her own safety, her wings becoming a blur as she hovers down to team CASA's open window.

The sounds of high-heels clicking on the floor signal the hummingbird faunus' arrival, sliding into the chair across from Calen with an easy grace. There's a steel box strapped to her waist, and a drawstring bag over one shoulder with an oversized travel mug in one hand. It's apparent she's already found the coffee machine based on the rising steam from the rim. Prism looks surprisingly relaxed for being on a shooting range so early in the morning, and there's obvious confidence in her carry; but Calen's proven to be unexpected beforehand, so a certain wariness still remains in her expression. Regardless, curiosity is an insatiable thing - she can't wait to see what he'll attempt to pull.

She nods to Calen in greeting, casting a curious glance towards his drink. "I'll admit that looks a bit better than mine, mind if I your recipe before we begin... well, whatever it is you've come up with?"

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2018, 08:14:01 AM »
Perhaps drugging her could have worked. Calen thought to himself with a half concealed smirk as he poured a cup for Prism when she sat down and another for Amane, gesturing for the other girl to join them. 'The trick is using your own beans, ground very finely then boiled and cooled along with the water several times, expensive and time consuming but it can win you a fair few friends even with a personality like mine. That and honey, cinnamon and something a little stronger if you really need to make an impression.' Calen responded happily passing one of the new cups to his companion. The coffee, cinnamon and honey did a lot to mask the smell of alcohol although it was still quite the throat burner if Prism(or Amane) would drink it. 'So I was thinking about our little challenge and thought of a few ways it could be more interesting. You see that range over there?' Calen began pointing towards a mostly abandoned range. 'It fires targets to try to mimic real world situations and might help me compete with these and to add even more spice the person not firing will ask a question when the target is fired and the person has to answer before their hands can leave their side. First on to miss three times loses' Calen finished drawing one of his overly large throwing knives and placed it on the table. A beautiful piece of metalwork the presumably bone handle had a series of bird carvings hollowing out the grip including a nest at the hilt. The blade had a golden filigree of similar pattern although the inscriptions got less and less common as they went up the blade leaving a single bird for a third of the blade next to a name 'Thran'.

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2018, 04:11:31 PM »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 08:26:11 PM by . »

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2018, 04:39:02 PM »
The glass is drawn to Prism as Calen rambles and she nods in response, taking a sip - before immediately making a face and pushing it away, swallowing with a certain amount of concealed distaste. "More alcoholic than I anticipated. I'm afraid I'll need to pass, I'm something of a terrible lightweight." Her own hand reaches for her mug, popping the lid and taking a sip. Calen made cocktails, knowing Amane her coffee's probably from fuck-knows where, hand-ground. Prism had just made machine bought-coffee in the training range, before dumping in one of those five-hour energy things and probably too much sugar - it could only accurately be described as an unholy abomination of caffeine.

Well, to each their own?

Regardless, she reaches for the knife Calen set on the table, turning it over and noting the engravings. "The questions part sounds good - no holds barred, or any limitations? Also, pretty piece of work. You don't see throwing knives in action commonly. I have Hawk's Eye, but if we're going with closer targets, I do have..." she pauses for a moment, digging through her bag to withdraw a simplistic, but well-made slingsho "A bit old, but she's still perfectly viable. Got the ammo, too." A small pouch is dropped next to the slingshot, the clink from within signaling the presence of metal ammunition. "Sounds good for leveling the playing field?"