Author Topic: The Vytal Festival Ball [Open]  (Read 17738 times)

Walter

• Master of Traps

• Personal Text
    (´・ω・`) | I feel down the stairs and ravioli on me
    • View Profile
Re: The Vytal Festival Ball [Open]
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2017, 12:18:12 PM »
Razz was entirely too enthralled by the people on stage to be distracted by any conversation nearby. And, even if he was, he wouldn't be upset about it - friends should be allowed to chat and catch up on things, whatever they were!

Reginald crossed his arms, pouting. It had appeared that nothing had come of the little argument he had observed, at least not yet. At this point, however, his attention was turned towards an approaching familiar face. One he had... Mixed feelings about, but a respectable person nonetheless. He gave Shiroe a nod, glancing towards the stage for a bit and covering up an overplayed yawn with his hand. He even made a point to make sure that those nearby would hear the yawn. What a tool.
Razzmatazz Gele - 2nd Year warrior of happiness of Team ____. "Oh, I also like ____! Let's be friends!"

Janna Tarmac - 1st Year tank lady of Team DGTL. "Our job is to protect the innocent, and that's what I do."

Reginald Royale - 1st year snotty brat of team RBLS. "I'm telling father about this!"

Rufus Chocla - 2nd year freestyle rapper of team APRC. "Rap comes from the Soul, don't mess with the Flow, if you can't take no more, don't wait for Encore!"

Anza Burgundy - 1st Year archer of team CRSA. "War eagle, feller!"

Silica Methiviola - Assistant to the Royale Family/Reginald. "Suck my metaphorical dick, nerd."

Coconut Cream - 1st Year pervert of team CASA. "B-before we fight could you just like... nyah once for me?"

Tiber Rostrum - 1st year Bea(k)on student. "*Unintelligible, birdlike gibberish*"

My good ole AMA

FunkyMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2017, 03:35:18 PM »
Auric listened to Zabar's response, and frankly, he didn't understand what the finalist was saying, which came as a surprise to him because of Auric's general great capacity for empathy.  However, while trying to understand, Auric noticed Nathan's peculiar lack of response, at least beyond a small nod.  Deciding that with that question, he was already in for a penny, he decided to go in for a pound.  After Zabar finished his answer, Auric waited a moment, giving time for Nathan to speak.  When there was no retort, Auric began, "Nathan, I do not wish to press this unnecessarily, but the commonplace of injuries in your past matches is something that likely concerns at least some of the public, especially given the tournament staff's efforts to minimize lasting injury.  Zabar said his piece, yet I notice you seem to have nothing in answer.  Is there some kind of response...or justification...or maybe some contrition...that you would like to put out there for the viewing public, just so they can understand where you are coming from?"

The Mythic Scribe

• Personal Text
    What sanity?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2017, 10:47:12 AM »
Lien slumped a little at Mythos's assurance to the people that she meant no harm. She'd been ticked off at Mythos's interference earlier, but it seemed that she was hopeless anyway. Determined not to make any more of a fool of herself, Lien fixed her posture and payed more attention to what was happening onstage, just in time to catch the moments where everything got... interesting. Lien internally cringed at the conversation happening onstage, though Nathan seemed to be responded well to everything Zabar was saying, she absolutely hated tension. She desperately wanted Nathan to respond and defend himself a little at least.

Bianca was simply sitting back and, unlike Lien, enjoying the tension, and also unable to help herself from refilling her cup with whatever punch they got for the occasion. This was where it got interesting though, she made herself comfy as she awaited Nathan's response, trying to keep her mind off of the bitterness that'd been brought on by the earlier comment about not all of them being world class.
Mauve Roux(1st year leader of team ROSE):“Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.”  -Simone Weil

Bianca Li(1st year member of team CBLT):"When you're the victim of the behavior, it's black and white; when you're the perpetrator, there are a million shades of gray." -Laura Schlessinger

Primrose Aster(1st year member of team BTRA):“To weep is to make less the depth of grief.”  -William Shakespeare

Cerise Carnelian(1st year member of team VCVS):"Be as you wish to seem." -Socrates

Lien Li(2nd year member of team MLDC): "To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders." -Lao Tzu

Aurora Hesperid(1st year leader of team ATLA)

EdgeyReyes

• Personal Text
    Die die die
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2017, 10:55:04 AM »
Aegis looked over to her companion, wondering if she should interrupt her, or at least help her take her mind off things. She seemed worried. "Are you alright? Anything I can do to help?"

Mythos only crossed her arms and looked onward towards the stage. Sighing at Zabar's less then suddel jabs at the finalist. "He does seem to be taking his status as a finalist to his head. Would you agree, Lien?"
Atlas: ShowHide

Solaris Star - Atlesian Special Forces

Aegis Guard - First Year Atlas Student

Iris Ares - Fourth Year Atlas Student

Vale: ShowHide

Akeldama Blood-Heart - First Year Beacon Student

Linh Li "Mythos Laurenstine - Second year Beacon Student

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    Infinite ADHD Asperger's physicist monkeys
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2017, 06:59:06 PM »
Nathan was mildly taken aback when Auric pressed him for further comment, as he'd thought Zabar had been rather eloquent, if a bit confused at first. His face, unsurprisingly to some select people, failed to diplay this emotion. "Well, mister Herz, I can't say I'm any less concerned about my opponents' health than the public. To be honest, I almost felt like my heart stopped when I injured Gray, and I asked Catalina if he was okay when I learned I had injured him, too.

I won't deny that I injured them. That much is evident to anybody who can see. I did do so, and I am very sorry. I never had the intention of injuring anybody beyond their Aura. It was a series of unfortunate circumstances for which I am to blame, at least partially if not entirely. I wasn't adding anything, or saying anything, because I thought mister Aga had summed up the affair's logic quite accurately: to paraphrase, 'I would be hurting myself much more than I would be hurting him if I injured him, or any other finalist'. If I knew then what I know now, I would not have acted the same way. But I didn't know, and there's nothing I can do to change that.
"

There he went, one of those miraculously verbous bouts. He wasn't even sure of what he said, it just sort of oozed out on instinct.
Characters: ShowHide
Nathan Eau, De Facto Jetpack Guy and Leader of Team INKK
Camelia Sol, Miss Magnetic Personality and Leader of Team CAST
Anna Fall, Insightful Visionary of Team ASTC
Brock Greenwood, Human Titan of Team DGTL
Helena Chlophyll, Ray of Sunshine of Team CHES
Scarlett/Corinth,Korynn,etc. Briggart/Topaz (In the works)
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Maena Nadir, Coherent Beam of Team SSMR
Europa/Encela(dus)/Io/Callisto/Calypso (In the works)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"Some goddamn bullshit, Invictus Omega"
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"I swear it's not my fault"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"
"Librarian"
"Vibin'"
Cole McWrath
AAAA (a.k.a. AMAA)
AMCAA

FunkyMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2017, 02:49:04 AM »
As Nathan answered his question, Auric listened intently.  He could more than readily twist the knife in the wound to draw more blood.  "Talk is cheap," he thought to himself skeptically.  However, perhaps it was not appropriate to be pushing too deeply in this setting.  Auric thought for a moment.  Nah, who was he kidding?  Propriety was not something he abided by.  "I understand that, and I am glad to hear it, Nathan.  However, after the first incident, with Mr. Saggio, was the thought of injuring your opponent present in your mind as you fought Mr. Glenn, just before you injured him as well, or was the thought completely absent?  It is one thing to feel remorse after the fact, as the thought of injuring your opponent weighs on you, but as another thing, what are you doing to avoid causing such injuries in the first place.  After all, you know the old saying: 'Once is an accident.  Twice is a coincidence.  Three times is a pattern.'"

With this last question. Auric felt satisfied.  He knew that whatever was Nathan's answer, in the interest of fairness, he would need to move on and turn his attention to the other contestant.  His mind began thinking for questions already, even before Nathan started his answer.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 02:54:07 AM by FunkyMonkey »

Siuwa

• Personal Text
    Balanced self-insertion FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2017, 06:25:18 AM »
Catalina finally started paying back attention just in time to hear the interviewer's somewhat subjectively biased question. Honestly, Cat didn't know what to expect from the general public. But he thought at least the interviewer is trying to be fair. He tried to come up with something. Something that could protect Nathan from their misjudgement. Something that redirects the question, something that helps.
"I trust him."
Infrared is disappointed at the interviewer's attempt to attack Nathan, especially when Nathan gave a satisfactory response. "Dude, where is Nathan's respect?"
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 05:19:32 AM by Siuwa »
Catalina Glenn - first year Beacon Academy student - "Not funny, dude! And not dudes... and everyone else... " - Cata, Cat.
Infrared Ray - fourth year Atlas Academy student - "So it's __ and __(insert name here) meets each other."
Sheer Gold - second year Beacon Academy student - "This is super effective!"
Siu Ceong - Beacon Academy graduate Huntress - "What is this? Where can I learn about it?"

Character hex code for reference: ShowHide
Cat: #0A44C2
Infrared: #CB4154
Sheer: plain red
Siu: #28CDFF

arcus_gray

• Personal Text
    There's no accounting for dumbass
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2017, 11:06:58 AM »
Gray had been listening in on the interview and felt his teeth grinding in anger when the interview turned to him. He could feel the anger building with a twisting sensation in his gut. Then when Nathan gave his response his anger exploded and his uninjured arm was punching down on the corner of a nearby drinks table. The force crushing the table's leg and sending the contents spilling across the floor as Gray got to his feet. Fuck decency. I'm not sitting here and listening to this bullshit.
1st year reckless idiot of team LGGR- Gray Saggio- "oh screw it. I'll just hit it till it dies!" 660066

psychotic mercenary- Alizarin rust "make me your enemy and they won't be able to identify your corpse"1C6BA0[/url]

lone wolf huntsman. ex member of team SAND cerulean steel "You are welcome to accompany me but if something goes wrong I'll deal with it myself." 2B3B44

1st year glass canon of team TBD Fallow Russet  "I may have been forced into this but that doesn't mean i don't like it." 50c878

2nd year drunken gearhead(teamless) Revya Vermillion "If you were to change to a lighter metal and add gears here, here and here you could greatly- I've entirely lost you haven't I?" Orange

1st year nimble tank of team CRSA Sandy Smoke "I've been told I'm a right bastard to fight against. Care to try ya luck?"355e3b[/color]

Guardian huntsman and drummer for Grimm Omen Ceramite Gunmetal "A barfight? alright then. SHOWTIME!" 800020 WIP[/u]

White Fang power couple. Ignis and Glacies. [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwpudWRx7eg] Partners in crime

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2017, 08:24:00 AM »
(tfw you're in the hot seat in-character and IRL)

Alright, so the interviewer was pushing it further. Fine, whatever. A ruckus briefly arose in the back of the hall, but Nathan paid it no mind, as he couldn't afford to do so. "Well, no. The thought of injuring my opponents was never present in my mind before, during or after the battle with Gray. Rather, after I injured him, the thought of not injuring my opponents was very well anchored."
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"
"Librarian"
"Vibin'"
Cole McWrath
AAAA (a.k.a. AMAA)
AMCAA

FunkyMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2017, 03:23:42 AM »
"Only after injuring Mr. Gray?" commented Auric, raising an eyebrow.  Nonetheless, he did not make an issue to press it further, though he did seem to be in some thought for a bit, looking both at Nathan and into the space behind him in a preoccupied gaze.  After a brief second, he looked back at his notepad.  "Nevermind that," he said.  Looking at Zabar, Auric started, "Now how about you, Mr. Aga.  You are the sole contestant representing Vacuo in this tournament.  How has that affected you, if at all?  Going through the rounds, have you felt any particular pressure to outperform your opponents because of your status as Vacuo's standard bearer?"

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    Forgive me for what I must yabba dabba do
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2017, 02:41:51 AM »
Zabar listened, quietly and patiently, as Auric spoke to Nathan. Though to be completely honest, he was only half paying attention, nodding only when Nathan reiterated his own statement. He was much more preoccupied with the situation around him. Sure, he wasn't new to the spotlight, his grandfather made sure of that when he was younger, but he was never the one to be able to speak his mind, always relegated to the back of the photo or in a seat behind his parents and grandfather. Even over the past year, going out and completing missions and talking with people, Narina was always the one to talk with the representatives. But now he was in the center stage, he could speak what he wanted. It was freeing, in a way. He could just act like he does everywhere else instead of how his family or teams wants or n-

The happy train of thought was cut as the sound of a table cracking and glass shattering broke him out of his trance. His eyes immediately shot out to the crowd, despite not being able to see anything except vague silhouettes, before darting back toward Auric and Nathan. Had neither of them noticed? They had to have, surely, but they just sat there like it was nothing...

Zabar slowly placed both his hand flat on the table and glanced at them for a moment, noting the lack of gauntlets. He left them there, on the table. If he needed to, he could quickly stand up, if not then no harm done. in the meantime...

The boy snapped back to paying attention to Auric just as he was saying "Mr. Aga," being careful to keep the edge of the interview area in his peripherals while he listened to the question. He furrowed his brow as he listened, thinking back to the matches he'd had up to this point. Countless qualifiers, his match against Zwei, against Razz, against Juno, and how it felt to be matched up against them, a Beacon student each and every time. "I'd say there was a need in the earlier rounds, sure. Durin' the qualifiers, well I don't think there was a single person out there that didn't feel some need to outperform. But I think from the beginnin' I had mixed feelin's. Yeah, course I wanted to prove Shade was just as good as the other academies, but at the same time I wanted to be able to learn from the people I faced, and ya can't really do that if you just beat them into the ground." He said, a smile creeping back onto his face.

"And yeah, I'm also the only Vacuan so that was... well, that was weighin' on there too, but to be honest I think my team leader's more set on me winning than I am, any Vacuan or Shade student for that matter." The boy chuckled slightly as he spoke, thinking back to the Dustin and Narina back in Shade. "One of my other teammates is here," he said as he turned his head toward the crowd once more, using the opportunity to catch a glance of any problems that might be out there. "but she's... aha..." He paused and turned his head back to Auric.

"I'm sorry, I'm completely off track... Ahm... Yes- yes, I think in the earlier rounds there was more of a weight on me to be better than the others, but once I got past the... first or second round maybe? Once I got past those, I mean, there weren't any other Haven or Atlas students in the bracket, so I was ahead of the pack, even though Atlas always likes to come in and try to show how much better they are with their fancy tech than the rest of us." He silently chastised himself for that remark, ohhh he'd catch hell for that one from Narina, but she wasn't here now. "Course I want to win, but second place as the only non-beacon student in the entire first year bracket? Hell yeah I'd take that."
Mercenary: Kol Augur ~ The Judicator of Atlas
Speaking: #5C5054 Thinking: #EAC117

Mistral: ShowHide
Huntress-in-Training: Aca Roth ~ Member of Team RWND
Speaking: #E05260 Thinking: #EA857F
Huntress-in-Training: Brook Pallas ~ Member of Team CNBR
Speaking: #4863A0 Thinking: #98AFC7
Council Member: Phaedo Katsaros ~ Figurehead for Faunus/Human relations
Speaking: #667C26 Thinking: #B6CC76

Vacuo: ShowHide
40th Vytal Tournament Champion: Zabar Aga ~ Member of Team DAWN
Speaking: #CD7F32 Thinking: #EE9A4D

Huntress: Malina Nahualli-Roth ~ Leader of Team MCCA
Speaking: #993A64 Thinking: #8B0C44
Beacon Professor: Titania Printemps ~ Assistant Headmistress of Beacon Academy
Speaking: #4AA02C Thinking: #E55B3C
Drop-out: Durian Ghede ~ Former leader of team DFDL
Speaking: #E1BD27 Thinking: #AF8B00

Zwei Not

• "Better than Krillin"

• Personal Text
    The man your man could post like
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2017, 05:46:40 PM »
Juno's attention was turned to the stage as Zabar spoke, his brow furrowing slightly as he brought up Atlas. The sentiment was understandable, yeah. The pragmatism and manipulation shown by Mantle and Atlas throughout Remnant's history definitely painted them as selfish and obsessed with having a bigger weapon than everyone else. Nevertheless, it was his home. His mom and dad raised him there, and it was where he met Phi. However, he had also hit it off quite well with the Vacuan. The guy seemed nice, if a bit... Arrogant and biased. No need to trash a potential friendship because of disagreements based on heritage and history.

"To be fair, we didn't have to use our fancy tech to put up a good fight."

Gods dammit, Phi.
Juno Varia: The Street Punk

Juno Vert: 1st year student of Beacon, Armored leader of Team VCVS

Phi: #007ba7

Nebu Nekhbet: DUAT unit 01: Desegnation RA

Nebu/Rho: #FFD700

Austin Vartra: TBA

FunkyMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2017, 10:25:39 AM »
Auric listened to Zabar's answer and waited for him to finish.  "Yes, that's very interesting how the brackets seemed to be stacked with almost entirely Vale students.  That would definitely give Vale an advantage in ensuring someone from Beacon made it to the finals.  Curious, considering Vale is the host kingdom, though I'm sure the committee overseeing the tournament has been doing its best to ensure there have been no irregularities in any form."  After a brief pause, he continued, "Now you touched on something earlier - that Atlas students often have access to superior technology, courtesy of Atlas academy's close relationship with the kingdom's military.  Atlas students design their own weapons, just like most other students hunters and huntresses in this tournament and around the world.  I think many people would say that superior technology does not make the superior or at least, more effective, hunter.  But I believe there are many other people who would say the opposite.  Where do you stand on that?  Do you think it is fair for Atlas tournament contestants to maintain such technological advantage over their competitors?"

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    Forgive me for what I must yabba dabba do
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2017, 11:40:36 AM »
Zabar thought for a moment, though he left his palms flat against the table, before responding. "I'd say there's an advantage there, sure. There's always ways to overcome that, though. An advantage doesn't make the fight and that's just a fact. Let's say someone in the tourney was at 50% and the other guy was at 16%. Once you start gettin' overconfident in that advantage you might as well give up. Same can be said about weapons, armor, or gear. You could have the most advanced stuff in the world and still lose to some guy just using his fists; no armor, no weapon, no nothin'." The boy leaned back slightly in his seat before continuing. "Obviously weapons help though. There's no denyin' that."
Mercenary: Kol Augur ~ The Judicator of Atlas
Speaking: #5C5054 Thinking: #EAC117

Mistral: ShowHide
Huntress-in-Training: Aca Roth ~ Member of Team RWND
Speaking: #E05260 Thinking: #EA857F
Huntress-in-Training: Brook Pallas ~ Member of Team CNBR
Speaking: #4863A0 Thinking: #98AFC7
Council Member: Phaedo Katsaros ~ Figurehead for Faunus/Human relations
Speaking: #667C26 Thinking: #B6CC76

Vacuo: ShowHide
40th Vytal Tournament Champion: Zabar Aga ~ Member of Team DAWN
Speaking: #CD7F32 Thinking: #EE9A4D

Huntress: Malina Nahualli-Roth ~ Leader of Team MCCA
Speaking: #993A64 Thinking: #8B0C44
Beacon Professor: Titania Printemps ~ Assistant Headmistress of Beacon Academy
Speaking: #4AA02C Thinking: #E55B3C
Drop-out: Durian Ghede ~ Former leader of team DFDL
Speaking: #E1BD27 Thinking: #AF8B00

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2017, 07:55:01 AM »
Nathan's attention to the discussion almost observably increased, albeit it had in fact tripled, when technology was mentioned.
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"